PDA

View Full Version : boolit question

shotman
12-27-2008, 04:47 AM
I have seen and I bought one that the owner put a small nick in the mold. I know that it was so the boolit was loaded the same way in gun. How does that have any effect? There was a guy at the gun club last summer and he had them marked. He had a special box with 5 rounds in each section. He had a timer a cleaning rod after each shot. I took my rem 700 30-06 and had a better group . It looks like that small rough spot on the boolit nose would tend to cause a deflecting area. rick

nicholst55
12-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Normally the mark is very, very small, and allows the shooter to orient the bullet in the same direction each time. Some really... er, anal people are convinced that orienting the bullet (and possibly the cartridge case) exactly the same gives them an edge in accuracy. I've never been able to distinguish any difference in group size when doing this, so I stopped. Perhaps someone with a better benchrest technique and an exceptionally accurate rifle could tell the difference, but I never could.

Some people also use marks to distinguish between boolits from different cavities in a multiple cavity mold. They do this because each boolit is slightly different - slightly different diameters, one cavity may be slightly out of round, etc.