PDA

View Full Version : Metal prices?

mto7464
12-26-2008, 05:40 PM
With the 4 year low in copper prices, when will we see a drop in J-bullet and brass prices? I know it takes awhile but anyone venture a guess?

wiljen
12-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Never, as long as people will pay the price, the companies will just enjoy a bigger profit margin.

fishhawk
12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
drop? havn't seen any pigs flying yet........ steve k

atr
12-26-2008, 05:52 PM
in a word...NEVER

mtgrs737
12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
If the military cuts back on it's needs the manufacturers may need us shooters more again and lower the prices and compete for our business to keep the factories busy.

RP
12-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Iam not a smart man But this is my take on it. Metal or materials go up in price companys maintains its price for awhile but price stays up so they have to go up. Then the materials go down same as before is this a temportary drop or long term so they wait and also makes up for the delay in the early increase. If price stays down price will follow but never to the price before the increase. What iam saying is a company prices cannot go up and down to fast takes time and money to change prices. Only ones that can do that is the gas company they got it down to a art.

jnovotny
12-26-2008, 06:57 PM
it still takes them a long time to adjust their prices to the down side but will increase their price the second oil prices rise

rbstern
12-27-2008, 02:51 PM
After the election/change of control hoopla dies down, we should see some ammo price softening. 25lb bag lead shot is a good leading indicator, since the entire product is entirely made of a commodity traded item in near raw form. It has dropped 33% in six months.

If the current economic problems continue, and it's likely they will, we should see ammo prices drop, too. Sales have got to be soft. With extra margin available from lower commodity costs, ammo makers will cut costs to protect market share. Sure as gravity works.

The only potential wrinkle is inflation. With the .gov printing money left and right, we may see prices hold or increase, but only because the dollar will be correspondingly worth much less.

anachronism
12-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I'll be amazed if prices go down. Gas went down because it was an election year, they'll be back up soon. Prices often fluctuate, but the little guy never sees a surcharge go down. If the manufacturers cost lessens, it makes them greedier, so they close their US factories & buy their materials from China. Then they complain about the higher shipping costs & raise their prices even more.

JDFuchs
12-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't think it would drop until one manufacture tries to sidestep the competition so they drop there price.

Since I just went to Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and the total fear of Obama. They had almost no ammo at all. Nothing at all in 9mm!! and most everything other then uncommon rounds were to be found. Also there reloading bullet shelves were just about as bare. With such a flurry of demand I don't see anything but another rise in prices for a good while. [smilie=b:

Gunslinger
12-27-2008, 10:33 PM
You complain about ammo prices in the States, here's something to think about. Prices in Denmark has gone up as well... way up. New prices are (boxes of 50 rounds):

9mm & .38 Special = $ 15.50
.357 Magnum = $ 23.50
.30.06 150 gr FMJ = $ 61.90

Ammo here has never been so expensive. Sure, you can get it a little cheaper if you buy a lot... but not that much cheaper. Could have listet more, but these are the ones I used to buy before I started casting. Luckily I started casting (and accumulating lead) before the prices sky-rocketed.

If I didn't cast, I have absolutely no idea how I would afford burning about 200 rounds a week!

mike in co
12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
prices for jacket material dropped 25% awhile back....did you see a price drop in bullets ??/...no.

post obama sales decreases...i doubt it......sales going down a with the poor economy???...no.
come to any gun show....its money talks, all else walks......

i sold over $2000 in brass and primers TODAY!

no i do not see any noticable price decrease in ammo or components....maybe no jan increase.....maybe not.....

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Seafarer12
12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
I think the wars would have to end before prices even started thinking about going down.

madman
12-28-2008, 01:36 AM
The base metals market is in the crapper. Lead was 4 bucks a pound it it down to 38 cents. copper is down to 1.23 a pound. Greed gentleman just plain old greed. I have received emails on my WTB add , Thanks for the replies but some of the prices that I am getting are through the roof. I have been watching the online web sites for auctions and for sale items for years now.
I talk to gun dealers all of the time. I have a great friend that is a gun dealer he is the Chairman of a local gun dealers association. This group keeps a watch full eye on new laws and regulations. I have never had any reason to doubt him on any thing he has shared with me in the past. He told me that panic buying is what is feeding the Firearms and reloading market. Also that the new proposal that is being bandied about is not the 500% tax on ammo but a flat tax of 5 cents on every round of ammo.

He as a dealer tried to order .223 ammo his supplier sold out the latest shipment of 16 million rounds in 1 1/2 hrs. The warehouse does not have date or time when another shipment will be available.

The online bulk military powder suppliers are so back logged that they will not take a phone order. or allow a local pick at their site. Some have not been able to get powder at all.

The cost of virgin alloy is out of site from the foundries.

Local scrap dealers are buying WWs at 15 cent a lb. and reselling them at a buck a pound, as is. People are willing to pay and so the price will go ever higher. The old supply and demand.

Oil prices are low so production will be cut to raise the cost again. Look at England, search the internet for how they feel about their gun rights. I got off track well thats enough soap box. With respect to you all. and God Bless.

jack19512
12-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Greed gentleman just plain old greed.

Be careful when using the "greed" word on this forum. I used it awhile back on a similar thread and a couple guys reacted like I had called somebody's momma the B word. [smilie=w:

imashooter2
12-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Greed... Isn't that when you try to make as much profit off something as you can? There's another word for that... I learned it some time ago... Let me see if I can remember... Ah yes! Capitalism. You don't like the current pricing and think you can make money underselling them? Go into business and do it.

jdowney
12-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Tempting as it is to sell my scary looking rifle and ammo to go with it while the going price is high, I think prices on a lot of guns and ammo will be back down in 6 months or so. Next year I'll still want the rifle, but not the $500 profit I could make on it now. IMHO, this is the difference between greed and capitalism - I'd rather have the stuff than the money. Perhaps I'll regret that when they're going for $350 again, but I don't think so.

Funny thing is, tire shops around here don't seem to be gouging on WW. I bought another bucket yesterday for $20, they had another half bucket but no empty to replace it. If I'd have had an empty with me, I would have gotten both for $20 I bet. Guy thought a scrap dealer had sent me over at first - maybe he just tried to sell them and the dealer didn't want to buy! I've picked up about 400# this month, averaging $.10 per pound. Perhaps this is beginners luck, or I'm the only boolit guy stopping at these shops!

skeet1
12-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Mto7464,
What, has hell frozen over already?

Skeet1

44mag1
12-28-2008, 11:51 AM
If obama pulls out our troops {god forbid} and the rest of the world goes bankrupt trying to keep the araibians at bay the ammo makers will have no choice but to lower their prices. People arent cleaning out places like sportsmans wherhouse at premium prices to go out and shoot it up. there storing it for when they need it the most.Good thing is like jdowney said, lead is cheaper now.

jack19512
12-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Greed... Isn't that when you try to make as much profit off something as you can? There's another word for that... I learned it some time ago... Let me see if I can remember... Ah yes! Capitalism. You don't like the current pricing and think you can make money underselling them? Go into business and do it.

I think you may need to look up the meaning of Capitalism. :mrgreen:

Seafarer12
12-28-2008, 12:15 PM

Sounds about right to me.

imashooter2
12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I think you may need to look up the meaning of Capitalism. :mrgreen:

The economic system in which all or most of the means of production and distribution, as land, factories, railroads, etc., are privately owned and operated for profit.

Is it your opinion that the current sellers should forgo profit, or at least make less than they could, for the good of the masses?

JIMinPHX
12-28-2008, 02:57 PM
With the spot price of lead now below $0.40/lb, I think that it's time we all got together & just bought up a big ol' pile of virgin new stuff.

Does anybody want to honcho a deal like that?

fishhawk
12-28-2008, 03:09 PM
the problem i see is getting it out to the members from the honcho. right now the cheapest is to ship it in flatrate boxes haveing done 3750 lbs this summer there has to be a better way. idea i cam up with is a central location like MO gets shipped to that location. from there what could be done is some one from IL take stuff going east to his place then the guy from IN take stuff thats going east to his sort of like a relay to places east west south and north. it's a lot of work to get it into flatrates and have them arrive in one piece the shipping raises the price to much for "normal" distrubition methods in small amounts. steve k

jack19512
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
.Is it your opinion that the current sellers should forgo profit, or at least make less than they could, for the good of the masses?

That's not my opinion at all. People or businesses have to make a profit or they wouldn't be in business long. But like it or not most of us know or should know where the line is drawn between profit and greed.

Isn't it funny how greed or is capitalism seems to pop up wherever, whenever there is a lack of competition. I have 1 gun shop in my area but I can't afford to shop there. They are just too high on everything. Why? I think it is because they have no competition and know they have most people over a barrel.

I really didn't want to get into this type of discussion again because for the most part never gets anywhere and disrespects the original posters thread so I apologize to mto7464 and this will be my last response to this matter so the thread can get back on track. :)

JIMinPHX
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
The spot price of lead has been creeping lately & now it's starting to accelerate. It's up around $0.75/lb today.

fredj338
06-05-2009, 08:31 PM
PRices seldom go down on most things. Technology is about the only place you see prices drop. For all that think we'll see cheap ammo & components anytime soon if ever, I bet I can find some beach front property to sell you.

c3d4b2
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Metal or materials go up in price companys maintains its price for awhile but price stays up so they have to go up. Then the materials go down same as before is this a temporary drop or long term so they wait and also makes up for the delay in the early increase.

I was curious about this scenario and investigated the yearly bullet prices and component metal prices. I then equalized the prices changes due to inflation using 2008 as a base. The investigation indicates the bullet price increases closely match the metal price increases.

There is one problem with the analysis. I could find the weekly metal prices, but could only find yearly bullet price history. There may be a delay in the price bullets rise after the metal prices rise, however the delay is less than the yearly sample I was able to collect.

I could not figure out how to add an image so I am adding a file attachment with the graph.

geargnasher
06-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Whadayda know, over time, it always goes up!

You know what I love about capitalism? I'm free to NOT buy your overinflated crap. If I HAVE to have something that I think is too expensive, odds are someone else HAS to have it too, and sooner or later someone else will offer the same product at a more reasonable price.

Gear

mtgrs737
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Supply and demand fellas, the supply dictates the price, just look at 380 acp ammo! Until demand drops off the prices will be high.

John Boy
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Local scrap dealers are buying WWs at 15 cent a lb. and reselling them at a buck a pound, as is.
Madman: Three months ago, scrap PB at a local recycler was 60 cents to buy. Now it is down to 50 cents/lb