PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 429421

seagiant
01-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi,
I've been following the Group Buy discussion with Catshooter and a couple of others for a real Kieth bullet for the 357 mag lately and I go out to my shop looking at molds and discover an old Ideal single cavity 429421 and I'm just wondering is this a real Keith??? This mold was suppose to have been made up in 1928 acording to a few articles I've read. This bullet weighs 247 gr. with WW but it dos'nt have the square grease grooves and it's a hair shorter than my RCBS 250 K mold ??? If anyone wants to educate me on this or has some thoughts I'd appreciate it! Thanks

MT Gianni
01-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Lyman changed this as often as they wore out cherrys. Elmer preferred square groove to hold more of the lube he used, Casters found bullets didn't drop as freely as they wanted so they complained to Ideal and they started to go with round grooves. With modern lubes I don't see a problem. I mark all my old Ideal molds with a small EK on the bottom just in case my kids can't afford a good rest home for me. Gianni.

seagiant
01-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Hi Gianni,
Thanks for the info,yes my mold has a round lube groove.I think that was a good observation about the difference in the quality of lube from then to now(1926).It's interesting that this mold and the RCBS 44-250-K is almost identical. I would guess this is about as close to a real Keith as you can get in a factory mold??? Thanks again!

Shuz
01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Gianni--Man, that's a great idea about putting EK on the bottom of your 429421's! I have 7 moulds that wear this moniker. I should be put away in style!