PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to me

Boz330
12-26-2008, 10:02 AM
A friend that had intentions of getting into BPCRS several years back and never did it, brought this over Christmas Eve and said Merry Christmas. It is a 40-65 Ballard, original action but has been rebarreled. Obviously it isn't a freeby but he said that we would discuss the price later. I told him if he ever decided to sell it to give me first shot at it. It is one beautiful rifle, pretty good wood and the metal work is nicely finished. IIRC the guy he got it from said it was done by the guys in Cody who used to make the modern Ballards.
It does have a couple issues but hopefully not too bad. The extractor doesn't extract and it has no rear sight, but hopefully these can be resolved post haste.
Just what I need, another gun to work up loads for.:bigsmyl2:
Hope Santa was as good to you fellows.

Bob

jhrosier
12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Just what I need, another gun to work up loads for.:bigsmyl2:

Bob,
I'm just all tore up about your 'misfortune.':kidding:

If it gets to be too much for you to handle, send it to me and I'll pay the shipping.:)

Is the 40-65 Ballard the same cartridge as the 40-65 Winchester?

Jack

Boz330
12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Bob,
I'm just all tore up about your 'misfortune.':kidding:

If it gets to be too much for you to handle, send it to me and I'll pay the shipping.:)

Is the 40-65 Ballard the same cartridge as the 40-65 Winchester?

Jack

This one is, it has been rebarreled. Not sure who made the barrel it is only marked 40-65 Black Powder. The barrel is 32" 1 1/8" at receiver to just over an 1" at the end, 18 twist. In fact there is no serial # on the action either.

Bob

NickSS
12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Nice present. I always buy my own Chritmas present and have my wife wrap it up. That way I do not get ties I do not like. My present this year was not a single shot rifle but it was a nice 357 mag revolver.

northmn
12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
That is a nice looking present. I had a couple of original Remington Rolling blocks converted back when. One in a 45-70 and one in a 50-90. the 50-90 was just too light. Kicked like a mule. Sold the 45-70 as we tend to do at times. Now traded back for a Pedersoli RB 45-70. I think you will enjoy the rifle. As I understand it, 40's were extremely popular back then.

Northmn