PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer

Avery Arms
12-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm looking at getting a new magma star but I'm not sure what all I need and what everything will cost. I cast many sizes for myself and a friend and want to size fast and easy.

Lube-Sizer $250
Heater base $105 (needed?)
Bullet feeder conversion $27.50 (how much is the feeder? How many conversions will I need?)
Air feed for lube (worth $100?)
Shovel handle (worth $26.50?)
Dies $40 (Will I need one for each bullet or just each diameter?)

For starters I want to make .309 rifle bullets and 356, 358, 365, 401, 429 and 452 pistol bullets. Sounds like a big bite to chew but I do already cast most of these and either lee-size or shoot as-cast.

Does the star work with hard homemade lube or does it need commercial MFG sticks with the hole in the middle?

PP

lathesmith
12-25-2008, 07:48 PM
PP,
The Star needs solid sticks, otherwise you get air trapped in the lube and this slows you down. Many guys prefer to melt their lube and pour it directly in the sizer; its simpler this way, and eliminates air pockets.
For speed, ease, and convenience, you really need a separate die for bullets with different lube goove patterns. Sometimes, you can use one die for bullets with one OR two lube grooves, it just depends. These dies sometimes come with 3 (or more) rows of holes, and you can plug the unneeded ones with shot or shaved lead. If you are ordering new dies, you can specify how many rows of holes you want, and not have to fool with plugging holes at all.
lathesmith

kooz
12-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I bought a Star earlier this year and it has been fantastic, easy to use and very fast. I bought the heated base and shovel handle and would recomend both. I use a lot of Carnuba Red lube and the heater is needed to make the lube flow easier. I have never used the air pressure thing, but my machine works perfectly without it. I also have never used the bullet feeder, so not really sure what that will do for you as far as speed. Once the machine is heated up it is simple to change dies, you can just push them out with finger pressure. If you make note of the position of the punch for each style of bullet you lube and write it down, it is then a snap to go from one caliber/bullet style to another.

HeavyMetal
12-25-2008, 09:34 PM
+ one on the shovel handle ( I still need to buy/make one) and the heater.

If your making a hard lube the heaters a gimmie. However I'm not sure the Magma unit is worth the asking price!

Had I joined this forum a few years ago I would have mounted my Star on a 1/4 inch thick piece of Aluminum and bought a cheap Iron at wal mart to set on the Aluminum behind the Star! This is what I'll do with the number two Star after I get done "experimenting" with soft lubes!

Heat could be controlled through the "thermostat" on the iron. Cost 15.00! warm up 5 to 10 Min?

To do it again I'd order with the shovel handle and go buy an Iron.

As far as Dies go? See lathesmith and nose size! That way one or two "punches" will be all you'll ever need.

Avery Arms
12-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Does anyone know how many bullet feeders or conversions I will need for 30, 38, 40, 44, 45 etc?

PP

runfiverun
12-26-2008, 08:38 PM
3 sizes will cover most everything you can use one for 44-45 one for 9mm-38 and one smaller one the feeder will do the whole thing all you need are the sliders and the correct drop tubes along with the metal adaptors.
for most of the rifle stuff you will want to do them one at a time as well as any with gas checks.
you can get 3 punches too and do everything.
so far i have been able to run every lube i have tried.
however if you are going to get the feeders you will want the heater base because it is what the feeder bolts to.