PDA

View Full Version : I need help!!

tarheel
12-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a Pound of BLUE DOT,I dont load hundreds of 38 sp.every day,
I like to shoot light loads with 125 Gr.truncated bullets!
Is there a safe light load for this combo,I do hear that there are certain applications that Blue Dot can get a little Sticky!

Some help Please?

My sincere THANKS,

TARHEEL:coffee:

IcerUSA
12-25-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't think you would want a light load with BlueDot as I think there is a problem of over pressure with a light load of it . Alliant calls for a start of 6.6 gns. so I would start there and work up , if that is not light enough I would try another powder .

Keith

runfiverun
12-25-2008, 12:29 PM
i would go to the hodgdons website, blue dot loading has had several warnings lately.

tarheel
12-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't think you would want a light load with BlueDot as I think there is a problem of over pressure with a light load of it . Alliant calls for a start of 6.6 gns. so I would start there and work up , if that is not light enough I would try another powder .

Keith

Thank you Keith,I know thats going to be far to Hot for my purposes!

Blue Dot is Out!

Merry Christmas!

Tarheel

tarheel
12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
i would go to the hodgdons website, blue dot loading has had several warnings lately.

Thank you Joe the Reloader,I have given up on trying to get some thing for this Powder,I want to be SAFE!

Merry Christmas,
Tarheel

crabo
12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
What other calibers do you load for?

IcerUSA
12-25-2008, 05:22 PM
BlueDot has worked well in my 44's with a med-heavy load , a little snap but not too bad , can go 50 rounds thru the 5 7/8" SBH with no problem holding on target , not what I would call a reduced load powder .

Keith

tarheel
12-25-2008, 09:02 PM
What other calibers do you load for?

The only pistol CTG right now is 38sp.I'm playing around with some Cowboy stuff,nothing serious yet!

I am looking maybe to find a marlin 94 C in 38 also!

Thanks crabo for chiming in!
Hope every one has had a Really Great Christmas Day!

Tarheel

oneokie
12-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfiverun

Thank you Joe the Reloader,I have given up on trying to get some thing for this Powder,I want to be SAFE!

Merry Christmas,
Tarheel

Uhh, Blue Dot is made by Alliant.

If you decide to contact Alliant, have the lot # and date from your container of powder. They can tell from that information whether the powder you have is from one of the problem lots.

Hope this helps.

crabo
12-25-2008, 11:26 PM
WW 231 is a great powder for the .38. It can also be used in a lot of other pistol and revolver cartridges with a decent level of success. If you are trying to keep your number of different powders down to a minimum, it would be a great one to get to know.