PDA

View Full Version : 311 round ball

redriverhunter
12-25-2008, 05:45 AM
i have read that a person could load a 311 round ball in a 30.30, the ball was pure lead. I do not have any pure lead I believe that the lead that is in recovered jacketed bullets from the range is real soft do you all think it would work. the rifle is a marlin 336 with micro groves I have heard that the micro grove like hard cast.
thanks

missionary5155
12-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Good morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS !
You can use any lead you want as long as your cast ball does not get so large in diameter that when loaded in to the case neck the cartridge will no longer chamber. Hard lead will cast a larger diameter. Pure lead a smaller diameter.
But the harder lead will grip the micro-groove better. If all I had was range scrap I would try one with 10 -12 grains Unique ( or a similar burn speed powder) . Roll the ball in some Lube first. Or after the ball is in the case scrape some lube around the case mouth area.
Round ball is not real technical. But sure works if it is Big enough to close of the gas pressure to the rear.

Junior1942
12-25-2008, 08:28 AM
i have read that a person could load a 311 round ball in a 30.30, the ball was pure lead. I do not have any pure lead I believe that the lead that is in recovered jacketed bullets from the range is real soft do you all think it would work. the rifle is a marlin 336 with micro groves I have heard that the micro grove like hard cast.
thanksMissionary's 10 - 12 grs Unique is WAY too much. I did some work with round balls in 30-30.

See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

DLCTEX
12-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree with Jr. Also the twist rate is pretty fast for a ball, but may work for close range work on varmits or targets. My Marlin has no problem chambering and shooting .311 sized boolits.

1Shirt
12-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Merry Christmas!
Cast them as hard as you want, Lino works well, roll them in Lee Mule Snot and let them dry for a couple of days, then load them in 30-30 w/lite crimp. Start with maybe 4-5 gr. of unique and work up for satisfactory accuracy. No recoil, little report. Fun to shoot, but a pain to load.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Thumbcocker
12-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Why cast them. Order 5# of size "0" shot from midsouth (.320 diamater) roll a handfull in liquid alox and let dry. Decap cases that have been fired in the rifle without sizing recap and flare the case mouth. 3 grains of red dot seat the ball 1/2 way and crimp just enough to iron out the flare and hold the ball securely.

These will cycle through the action of a .30-30 and will cut one big hole at 30 yards. They work really well for squirrels and stuff. An added benefit is that they fly a shorter distance if you shoot up so they are safer. They will bounce off hard surfaces at longer ranges. Out of my .30-30 these loads chrono 1000 fps.

If you have ladies or kids with you these loads disappear in a hurry so load a bunch. The same proceduere and load works in .30-40.

For more punch try a 311291 or 311041 tumble lubed with no gas check over 6 granins of red dot in .30-30. 1200 fps and more smack than you would think.

The buckshot loads can be loaded in volume since you don't have to grease the cases.

Have fun.

Shiloh
12-25-2008, 11:02 AM
The same .311 lead ball with 3 gr of Bullseye works well in the '03. Good for about 25 yards or so.

Shiloh

Jim
12-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Thunmbcocker's on it. I'll offer one change in the recipe, not that it's better, just different. With ANY .30 caliber case, I use a large magnum rifle primer and 5 grains of anything in burn speed from Unique to Bullseye.