PDA

View Full Version : Adapting Handles

cabezaverde
12-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I just got my first Lyman 4 cavity mold, but it seems none of my favorite retailers have handles in stock.

I have read in another post that Lee 6 cavity handles can be adapted by grinding them thinner. Any tips for this, or just hit them with the bench grinder?

Merry Christmas to all.

No_1
12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Do some careful figuring and then touch them against the bench grinder. Check them against the mould and continue touching them against the grinder until they fit pretty good. You do not want a loose fit but that is certainly better than too tight a fit. Keep in mind the pin holes when you do your grinding, try to keep them centered. If needed you can drill the pin holes out once you get the handles to fit.

When I say "touch them" against the grinder I mean lightly. You are not trying to grind scrap iron here. Sometimes it is better to work up to the fit then to sit there afterwards and figure out what went wrong and what is left that you can salvage.....

Robert

cabezaverde
12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
My understanding is that the handles need to be made thinner. Is that correct?

Red River Rick
12-24-2008, 03:24 PM
If you want to modify Lee 6X handles to fit your Lyman 4X mould, you'll have to remove about 0.070" of material. The slot in the Lyman 4X moulds measures 0.250", so the tong portion will have to thinned down considerably and perhaps a new hole drilled.

Rather than go thru all that trouble and if you can wait until the new year, you could order a pair of my new handles that are made to fit the Lyman 4X moulds.

RRR