PDA

View Full Version : Time for more base Alloy

MGySgt
01-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Been busy over the Holidays making up a base alloy - Don't know how it will cast yet. But the base is WW.

Frank46
01-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Gunny, looks like you been busy. Nice pile there. Frank

bruce drake
01-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Master Guns,

As a fellow Marine you should pack half that kit up and send it North to me here at Fort Drum. As everyone knows Marines make do with less while the Army operates on everything they want plus half the budget of the other services! So in that spirit, I wants!

P.S. Nice Pile of Lead! That bench might be creaking.

Bruce Drake
Formerly Staff Sergeant, USMC
Currently Captain, USA

Buckshot
01-01-2006, 03:42 AM
..........Ah that's what I like to see! When your garage tips over you know you have about enough. Either that or you need to find a new place to stack'em!

...............Buckshot

imashooter2
01-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Looks about 896 pounds if they average a pound each. That should last a week or two... Good way to start the new year!

MGySgt
01-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Master Guns,

As a fellow Marine you should pack half that kit up and send it North to me here at Fort Drum. .......................

Bruce Drake
Formerly Staff Sergeant, USMC
Currently Captain, USA

Bruce - Maybe, Just maybe I would if you didn't go Brain Dead and switch to the Army!

Drew

MGySgt
01-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Looks about 896 pounds if they average a pound each. ............!

Actually I estimate 1200 pounds. 20 stacks of 56 bars = 1120. The few times I have weight thed ignots they were 90 to 100 pounds.

Sure glade I have 7 ignot molds. Even that isn't enough now that I am blending it all together and stacking it under the casting bench!

Drew

MGySgt
01-01-2006, 09:54 AM
..........Ah that's what I like to see! When your garage tips over you know you have about enough......
...............Buckshot

Buckshot - not a garage - Wife won't let me keep it in there any more. 10X12 shed just for my casting/lead. Of course it all won't fit, floor might give way if I bring in the rest of it. I still have 500lbs in once melted WW and another 1200 I have to smelt down (2 - 35 gal glav. garbage cans, with lids on of course).

This stack is about 600 pounds of a mixture of WW, 50/50, pure, shot and 400 of once melt, and the rest is rejected bullets, comerical hard cast, and what ever else little pile I had laying around in the casting shed.

Drew

waksupi
01-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Good pile, Drew. I have to melt down another four buckets, and then re-assess if I really think I am going to live long enough to shoot it all.

bruce drake
01-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Drew,

When I completed my first degree, the Marine Corps offered me a second rocker and a second shi*ty recruiting assignment. Army offered me an OCS commission and an opportunity to switch from Infantry to Ordnance. So you see, we share more than a common bond of being Marines, we both wear the bursting bomb! So pack up them ingots and I'll pick them up on my way south to Ft. Bragg in a few years!

Fortitudine,

Bruce

MGySgt
01-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Good pile, Drew. I have to melt down another four buckets, and then re-assess if I really think I am going to live long enough to shoot it all.

Waksupi - I put up 600 pounds about 14 months ago and didn't really shoot that much since then.

But that Sharps (45/90) and them 45/70's send an ounce down range every time I pull the trigger.

I had about 150 pounds left of that 600 and had some use or loose vacation time so - Why not.

I really needed to clean up my casting shed any way!

Drew

MN91311
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I tell my wife that my lead pile is insurance against the house blowing away if we get a hurricane or twister. Too heavy to do a "Wizard Of Oz" !!!!!

She doesn't buy that story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks about 896 pounds if they average a pound each. That should last a week or two... Good way to start the new year!

buck1
01-01-2006, 11:55 PM

I have about 3-4000 LBS put up in to ingots, in a old truck tool boxes. Thats most likely more than I will live to shoot. But still I cant stop scrounging.
I started putting mine up in 50LB ingots. Its a lot faster, and when I make up a batch of alloy I make about 300LB at a time. That gets put in to my small ingot molds. ...Buck

C1PNR
01-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Master Guns,

As a fellow Marine you should pack half that kit up and send it North to me here at Fort Drum. Bruce Drake Formerly Staff Sergeant, USMC
Currently Captain, USA

Fort Drum, eh? I just have to ask - How are things holding together? I was there in '88 & '89 with "Black River Constructors," the Joint Venture that built most of the new Fort Drum. Kind of wonder if someone had to come in later and "fix" the stuff we screwed up.:lol:

Somewhere I've still got a belt buckle that has the road grid cast into it. Used it more than once to figure out how to get from where I was to where I needed to be.

Is Jaspers still operating there in downtown Watertown? Many fond memories of the area, and especially the people.8)

bruce drake
01-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Fort Drum is still running fine. :coffee: 10th Mountain is never around long enough to put any wear on the buildings. We are always deployed somewhere. This Division in some portion or the other has either been in Afghanistan or Iraq since shortly after 9/11/01 and we have units in Iraq now. Only reason I'm not rolling out in February to Afghanistan with my compadres is because I'm supposed to be taking a company command in February and I'v ehaven't been back long enough from Iraq to count for another year deployment.

Drew, sorry for the hi-jack. Where did you get all that lead? I'm lucky to score an ammo can at a time of wheel weights from my local tire shops.

Bruce

MGySgt
01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Drew, sorry for the hi-jack. Where did you get all that lead? I'm lucky to score an ammo can at a time of wheel weights from my local tire shops.

Bruce

Not a problem about the hi-jack.

The lead - Scrounging - 1/2 bucket here and there and then my wife came home one day with 6 buckets, and another time with 3, etc....

It just keeps coming. If you have some - it is easy to get more. But if you are running low - there is none to be found!

Drew