PDA

View Full Version : Duplex Loads

bobk
12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I just found a box of Pyrodex pellets, and thought, "What am I going to do with those?" I have had ignition problems in my sidehammer gun, and after reading the one thread I am thinking of going back to the Holy Black. Anyway, the though came to me that if I loaded a duplex load, maybe 25-30 gr of 3f, (say using the set measure for the .44s) with a 50 gr equivalent pellet on top, this might cure the ignition problems. Now, before someone asks just what the advantage would be over just using 80-85 gr of 2f, well, I haven't the slightest idea:-D However, has anyone else tried it, did it do anything special, or do I need to return to Earth?
Bob K

bobk
12-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I probably should have posted this under the Muzzleloading section, but the principle applies (or doesn't) to cartridge guns, too. Just curiousI really doubt if I've come up with anything new. I'll bet some other fevered mind has gone this route.
Bob K

boommer
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
your using real black with a pellet, so you will have air space between the slug and powder not a good idea. Air space is NOT good with holy black you could end seeing your last cloud of smoke just because you want use up surplus.

jnovotny
12-23-2008, 11:07 PM
don't think I would be overly concerned with any "air space" shoot it and tell us how it works.

RMulhern
12-24-2008, 06:17 AM
While you're at it.....just go ahead a pour some limestone down your bore as that's what you'll be gettin with the Pyro!!:-?:neutral::???:

northmn
12-24-2008, 07:25 AM
While I really cannot say much about pellets, as I have never used them, a dealer mentions that they have a bottom end to assist in ignition? Need to be loaded correctly. Using them up with a priming charge of say 10-20 grs. may work. I have heard of them use in BPCs as a kind of plinking load.

Northmn