PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Marlin 1894

44 magnum
01-01-2006, 02:57 AM
My good buddy just purchased a used Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum. We fired a handful of Federal factory 240's thru it. I reloaded and cycled the action at which time the lever stayed fully forward and would not budge. The ammo was not hung up as far as I could see. After some time and fiddling the lever just released. I cycled the action a couple more times without firing and the lever again locked. I was able to free it much quicker this time. I them continued to just cycle the action without firing some more. The action never again locked up. Is there some type of internal problem with Marlin type actions or did we do something wrong? I have never owned a lever action and my buddy has a Winchester 94 in 30-30 that is like butter.

I did not take the gun apart.....not familiar with takedown for these puppies yet. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

BTW.....shooting it was a pleasure, till the lockup thing!!

Paul :cool:

JDL
01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Were you just cycling the action empty, or running cartridges through it? -JDL

woody1
01-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Did you check all screws? A loose loading spring screw often causes the problem you describe. Regards, Woody

44 magnum
01-01-2006, 01:54 PM
1. At the time of first lock up, I was attempting to load chamber. The second lockup occurred as I was running the rest of loaded cartridges out of magazine. Did not put any more rounds in magazine after that. Should I test it by loading magazine again?

2. Did not check the screws for tightness. Which would be the screw for the loading spring?

Thanks guys for replies!!

Bullshop
01-01-2006, 02:36 PM
44magnum
I bought a used but as new 444 Marlin for a good price that had a similer problem. When I got it the cartridge lifter didnt work, it just wouldnt lift the cartridge to the chamber.
I contacted Marlin and they sent a new lifter free. After instaling the new lifter I began to have the same problem you are having. The problem that had origonaly broken the lifter was that the follower in the magizine was too long and the lifter would catch it on its way up which takes place when you begin to bring the lever back. Somone had apparently used too much force when it hung up and that is what had broken the tab off the lifter that engauges the lever to function.(bigger hammar syndrome)
The fix actualy made a better gun of it. I juncked the plastic magizine follower and turned one from aluminum bar stock. It looks better than that red/orange plastic thingy in there and it works without a hitch.
Through the whole deal my emotions were teter totering up and down. First WOW WHAT A GREAT DEAL !!! then BUMMUR ITS BROKEN !!! then WOW MARLIN SENT THE PART FOR FREE !!! then BUMMER IT STILL DOESNT WORK !!! then finaly UREAKA!!! NO EXTRA COST !!!
Check it out sounds like it may be the problem.
BIC/BS

woody1
01-01-2006, 03:34 PM
You night call it the "loading gate screw." Marlin calls it the loading spring. Check the link
http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/mar1894.htm
What happens is that the "loading gate" has just enough give to it to keep the carrier from rising, thus the action is jammed open. As with bullshop's reply, if the carrier won't rise, the action is jammed open. Regards, Woody

imashooter2
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
If it isn't the loading spring screw, check for the "Dreaded Marlin Jam":

http://www.marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Throckmorton
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I've seen quite a few jammed marlins fixed by tightening the screws.Other than that they seem to run real good .

44 magnum
01-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Hey thanks for the great info!! :-P

I will be seeing my buddy again in next couple of days and will see what I can find on his rifle.

Thanks again!!

44 magnum
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Well I was able to check rifle today. Several of the screws on the receiver were loose. I tightned them all and it funtions fine for now. We will be shooting it next weekend so that will be real test.

Thanks everyone!! :bigsmyl2:

Hackleback
01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Check the screws often, mine seem to work loose all the time. As for the jamming, I have a 1894 FG, it has jammed exactly as you described (double feed) several times. It appears that it does it mostly with SWC's. Long heavy casts are fine as well as rounded shouldered JHP's such as XTP's or gold dots. so it is something else other than just short OAL of cartridge. Go figure

Newtire
01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I got a set of instructions with my .444 that shows the screw just aft of the loading gate and it said to put loctite on it. I had exactly the jam you are talking about but after the loctiting of the screw, had no other problems with that. I had the aperture sight screw hole-plugging screws work in also & jam it up so just removed those. I see the instructions with my 336 says to keep that screw tight also. Just loctite it I would recommend.