PDA

View Full Version : Blued vs Stainless

Bigscot
12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Been thinking about getting a Super Black Hawk w/5.5" barrel. Was thinking about getting a blued one for the reduced cost and darker color. However there is a store which has one in stainless. It's $50 more but I can get now and not have to order it. I want to use this for regular (not necessarily concealed carry) carry as in a hunting and fishing and truck side arm. I don't mind stainless as I have a Super Red hawk but with a 9.5 in bbl and scope it is not a regular carry gun.

Anyway, just curious about thoughts pro and con on blued vs stainless given all else being the same.

Ricochet
12-23-2008, 07:56 PM
I prefer the looks of blued steel, even as it wears. Stainless is a little easier to care for and can be buffed up if it gets scuffed up, though.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I like stainless for pocket pistols, such as my Seecamp LWS 32, due to perspiration causing rust. All my other guns I prefer blued or blued and color case hardened, less problem with sun reflections.
Morgan

fatnhappy
12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
stainless all the way for me. I love the look of blued steel but from a utilitarian aspect, stainless makes an excellent carry choice. I prefer leather holsters because they're quieter than nylon, but cringe at the thought of a blued gun in leather while it's raining.
either way....you can pick up the stainless BH today........... [smilie=1:

SCIBUL
12-24-2008, 05:47 AM
I like both :mrgreen:
So I waited several years and I now have a stainless 6.5" BH in .357 and a blued 5" S&W 27 :drinks:.
Seriously, if you can get the RUGER now, take it now :drinks:

Bret4207
12-24-2008, 07:50 AM
The good Lord intended for guns to be blued, muzzle loaders to be browned. End of story.

Tom W.
12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
I had one and loved it. I can't recall scaring anything with it due to reflected sunlight...and it was a great revolver to take out on a rainy day. Due to medical problems I had to sell it and get a SRH instead....

bobk
12-24-2008, 08:04 AM
OK, I'm always a sucker for the "Get It Now!" philosophy, but I'll suggest an alternative. Get a blue, and when the blue wear starts looking bad to your eye, get it electroless nickled. I did this in a medium matte finish on a S&W 586. Polished the cylinder flutes, looks sharp. It's actually more rust resistant than SS, which rust under the grips. I used the nylon Hogue grips. Hate the way rubber drags on clothing. I also parkerized a worn-finish .45. Cheap, easy to do, but watch the heat! Too hot, and it comes out a weird reddish brown. The joke was that I had the world's only .45 caliber dog dropping:-)
Bob K

DLCTEX
12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I have both and really like them equally well. For longevity, the stainless is hard to beat.

cajun shooter
12-24-2008, 09:20 AM
It's why BR offers 31 flavors, look at the answers and my point is proven. Now for the Spock answer, thats one that is logical. In Louisiana where the humidity runs up to 100% on a regular bases, I would choose the SS. Also if it takes a skid down a concrete walkway a buffer wheel will make it new. If you live in Arizona I don't think it matters.

Tom Herman
12-24-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm 100% in the Stainless crowd... Cajun Shooter has it right. I am in the Pacific North West, and about 9 months a year we have 100% humidity (read: rain).
I thought I'd be fine taking my hard chromed .45 out in the local weather, and even it started pitting... So, other than collector weapons, the utilarian stuff is all stainless. You're in the humid part of NC, IIRC.. If I were living back there again, I'd only carry stainless.

Haoopy Shootin'! -Tom

leadeye
12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I have both and really can't complain about either. Stainless wears better but blue looks better in my opinion.

MT Gianni
12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I like both. As far as reflectivity check out the thread "Al's new toy". You can see the fingers of the person taking the picture reflected in the bluing of a 2" bbl Detective Special. I wish all guns had that care and craftmans ship but bluing can reflect as bad as stainless.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Gianni, You're probably right. Reflectivity was the reason the NYPD gave us for not allowing us to carry nickel plated guns(SS hadn't come out yet). I guess the brainwashing really took hold.
Morgan

Snapping Twig
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
For working guns I prefer bead blasted stainless or hard chrome which looks much the same.

I prefer the look of blue and the only thing I can say is whatever you end up with, I'd advise a Bisley grip.

Merry Christmas. :)

Boerrancher
12-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I have both blued and stainless rifles and pistols. I prefer the blue, but if I could get it now versus having to order, I would get it now. One never knows what is going to happen. The one thing that I do know is that many gun shops are having a hard time getting guns in. There is 3 gun shops in the town near by. They can't keep good guns on the shelves and many are on back order. It seams that everyone is running scared because of the President Elect's gun views along with the gun grabbing congress he will have working for him. I learned with Clinton's assault weapons ban, that waiting was not the way to go.

Merry Christmas from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

C1PNR
12-24-2008, 09:29 PM
The good Lord intended for guns to be blued, muzzle loaders to be browned. End of story.

About all I have to add is that they all have a wooden stock.

Well, maybe I'll add just a little more.[smilie=1:

I prefer blue steel and walnut for modern centerfire, or rimfire for that matter, arms. But it truly is a personal preference thing. Where ever you live, hunt, or just walk around, you can care for either type.

I've never really felt it was a "chore" to look after my rifle, shotgun, or handgun after coming in out of the rain, snow, or high humidity. I just look at it as a little more friendly interaction between us before I put them away.

I do have to agree with Joe, though. With a new President and Congress of the type we now have, who knows what's going to happen, and when.

MtGun44
12-24-2008, 09:35 PM
When I lived in Fla in unairconditioned houses (much of my younger years),
I'd sure have loved SS guns. It was hard to keep your blued steel guns from
getting rust damage.

However, in the drier climate of KS and now living in airconditioned houses (YEAH!)
SS is less important. However, it is great for serious hunting guns that may
get rained or snowed on day after day.

Personal preference, with the SS a nod for practicality.

Bill

MT Gianni
12-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Gianni, You're probably right. Reflectivity was the reason the NYPD gave us for not allowing us to carry nickel plated guns(SS hadn't come out yet). I guess the brainwashing really took hold.
Morgan

That and the fact that both nickel guns I owned were referred to as "the pimp gun".

Heavy lead
12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Me likes them all, everything else being equal I'd rather have stainless, but have a soft spot for blue, but in all cases much prefer wood stocks and/or grips in either long guns or handguns. Even the big boomer handguns I like a good oversized finger groove wood grip, if I need padding, I get out my Uncle Mikes shooting gloves.
I even like the plastic pistols.:roll:

Bigscot
12-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I agree that blued looks better than stainless and stainless is more durable. Now for the next question. I called the store that had the stainless model and it is gone. I can get the blued for about $50 cheaper and about $20 cheaper at another store. At what
point does cost play a factor?

Bigscot

Boerrancher
12-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Once again I must say that time here is your most critical factor. I know that the new President and Congress won't be able to do anything right away, but because of the high demand for firearms now you may or may not be able to get one ordered, with out it being placed on back order. If you are not concerned about $50, I would have the stores call and find out what is in stock and how quickly they can get it. You may find that there is a 3 month wait for the stainless and the blued models are available, or just the opposite.

I hate spending money that I don't really have to spend, but being retired and able to hang out at the gun shops in my area has shown me how quickly some guns are just not available any more, and 3 months ago there was lots of them. Semi autos and hand guns are selling at a premium around here. Many of the folks around here are settling for second and third choice because they can't even order the gun they want.

Merry Christmas from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

schutzen
12-25-2008, 10:52 AM
I like the looks of blued over stainless, but for and everyday truck gun. Stainless is the way to go.
I have the Blackhawk in 4 5/8" 45LC and I am very happy with it. It has been a great gun for 25 years, but it is really showing 25 years of wear that a stainless one would not. Another factor in your choice may be the availability of the SBlackhawk in blue. I have had two dealers tell me that Ruger is behind in orders due to having all available personnel working on their factory recall. Last week I checked on the availability of a Super Blackhawk in 5.5" Blue and Ruger did not have one in stock. My dealer told me maybe by the 1st of February they could get one for me.

EDK
12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Blue is traditional and looks good. Stainless is a lot more practical for a lot of use and in inclement weather and high humidity areas. I live 5 miles from the Mississippi river, so humidity is a problem...especially with the RUGER faux case color on my Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS. The RUGER blue is fairly durable, but I use the stainless guns a lot more.

The stainless steel SUPER BLACKHAWK has the additional benefit of being a matte rather than bright polished finish. I'd get the stainless gun; have Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) install either a DRAGOON or HUNTER grip frame (or do a BISLEY conversion) and a trigger job; add some custom grips and enjoy. There are several examples in both VAQUEROS and BLACKHAWKS in the safe at present.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

shooting on a shoestring
12-25-2008, 10:39 PM
My blued steel Smith and Rugers seem to have smoother bores than my stainless Smith and Rugers. Same for chambers. I know from my early days standing in front of a lathe in a production machine shop, stainless is very tough and tends to pull when its cut.

My carry guns are stainless. I perfer to shoot blued.

Bigscot
12-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Shoestring,

That is very interesting. That is something I had never thought of. The only stainless gun I have is the Super Redhawk. It shoots pretty well. Do you see a difference in accuracy between the stainless and the blued?

Bigscot

buck1
12-26-2008, 12:56 AM
For less than $100.00, Go stainless! IMHO

watkibe
12-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Daily carry gun: stainless steel, rubber grips. Fun guns: blue steel, wood handles. There's always time after fun to care for a blued gun. Daily carry is a different story, you need something easy to care for.

S.R.Custom
12-26-2008, 12:23 PM
My blued steel Smith and Rugers seem to have smoother bores than my stainless Smith and Rugers. Same for chambers. I know from my early days standing in front of a lathe in a production machine shop, stainless is very tough and tends to pull when its cut.

Indeed, my preference for blue has nothing to do with looks... Blued steel has a much better coeficient of friction than stainless, and as a result, is much easier to machine without galling. A better finish is more likely, inside and out. As a revolver nut, I've found this to also mean that a blued steel revolver (and pistols too, for that matter) will polish up to give a much smoother action. (And I've found chrome-moly steel knife blades to take a better edge than stainless.)

For these reasons, if I'm looking for a "weatherproof" gun, I look first at nickel plating, if it's available. If not, I'll still get the blue; I take care of my guns and have never had a problem with rust on any of them.* The only reason I've intentionally bought stainless was when shopping for Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes; stainless is the only way you can go if you want an all-steel gun.

*Well, actually, there was that one time... In the excitement of a hunt, I stuck a Ruger SBH under the salty, wet floor mat of the truck "just for a minute," so as to keep it from sliding around in the truck. To make a long story short, we had to leave the truck on the mountain in the storm, and I ended up forgetting about the Ruger for two days... :-?

Doughty
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
If it matters, stainless is usually heavier.

SharpsShooter
12-27-2008, 04:49 PM
the good lord intended for guns to be blued, muzzle loaders to be browned. End of story.

amen !!!

Ss

Jon K
12-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Stainless & Steel have the same sectional density & weight. Although Stainless generates more heat thru friction and holds the heat. Look at the ASTM specs.

The finish and machining practice & procedure will determine the final finish, while the heat treat of the material will play a large part of this.

Wear factor is dependent on hardness speed and friction, so it just depends.......

Just my $.02 but, the only factors I see that come into play is Inclement Weather, Hostile Environment(moisture & acidity,etc.), Friction, and Tradition Appearance. So it's just a matter of which flavor you like, and what the application is.

Traditional guns like Single Shots & Leverguns make mine Steel.

Jon

FN in MT
12-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Apples/Oranges Either...Or.... Get the one that trips Your trigger.

shooting on a shoestring
12-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Bigscot...I find less leading in my blued barrels. As far as grouping, my stainless barreled guns are carry lenghts, short. My blued barrels are long. Not a fair comparison.

The most dramatic difference I've seen was in my new SSNMBH in 4 & 5/8 inch. The chambers were absolutly the worst finish I've ever seen in a revolver. They were functional, and after a years worth of shooting they've smoothed up considerably. I've never seen a blued gun that rough.

I'd love to investigate the notion and buy another .357 in a short blued barrel.

C1PNR
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
That and the fact that both nickel guns I owned were referred to as "the pimp gun".
My 4" S&W 15-4 is Nickle plated. It came with Pachmyers, but I put on a set of S&W wood grips.

Next I'm going to get a set of "Mother of Pearl" grips and turn it into a REAL "New Orleans Pimp Special" as General Patton would say.:shock:

Either that or buy the Nickle Python a friend of mine has.

Down South
01-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I like and have both. I have one stainless S&W stainless that is melonite coated. I prefer stainless for a pistol/revolver that I’m gonna be packing around in my truck and the woods. The upkeep is much easier.

Bigscot
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts. Even though I like blued better, for my purposes I ordered one in SS. It was $20 more. Can pick it up next Sat.

I have another question though. Back 20+ years ago when I bought my SRH I knew nothing of barrel break in. Don't know if there is anything to but the last 3 rifles bought new I did a shoot 1 clean, shoot 1 clean etc, etc, etc. The barrels do seem to clean up easier than others.

I was planning on loading up 25 or so jacketed and do the same break in through each chamber.
Any thoughts on breaking in a revolver barrel?

Bigscot