PDA

View Full Version : Which Lubs(s) for stocking up on ammo?

OeldeWolf
12-23-2008, 01:38 AM
I have been reading a lot here, and have a question. I would like to store some loaded ammo, possibly for some time. Just to have a supply onhand. Which lubes are least likely to migrate and contaminate powder over the course of a few years?

Would the LLA coated with JPW work for that?

I hate typos. Only class I ever did poorly in was typing....

docone31
12-23-2008, 09:15 AM
When each round is loaded, the case walls compress against the sides of the casting.
If the base is wiped clean, as I do, then I suspect there will be no, or little migration of lube.
I have had loads that were stored for years that fired first time.

HABCAN
12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
You might try reversing that, i.e., JPW coated with LLA. That mule snot won't EVER migrate in my experience. Your call.

runfiverun
12-23-2008, 12:44 PM
i use a harder type lube.

one of the things you have to take into consideration with storage is where?
like where are you going to put them. in a high humidity area? a hot area?
cold?
then figure out which lube will withstand the extremes.

Avery Arms
12-23-2008, 12:50 PM
I have used boiled linseed oil on .45 colt bullets, it is completely dry when loaded.

PP

454PB
12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Keep the loaded ammo cool and stored nose down, it will be fine for up to 25 years in my experience.

OeldeWolf
12-27-2008, 01:37 AM
I will be storing them inside, but if the AC goes out, it can hit a low of 30 F, and a high of 115F. So if we go to ambient local temps, Things will be "less than ideal" for bullet storage.

I have read somewhere on the forum that the LLA has a very high melting point. Perhaps the secret is getting it correctly on the boolit?