PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 seal plug

cheese1566
12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
How does the pressure screw stay in place on a Lyman 450 (with split style bike grip handle)?

Does the seal plug need to be removed to get the pressure screw out?

What holds the seal plug in place and how to remove it to repair the O-ring seal?

Is it a pressure fit and then swaged by a punch around the outer circumference?

Or is it one of those not to mess with until something happens?

(I know I ask a lot of stuff!!!)

billyb
12-23-2008, 01:18 AM
The pressure screw is held in place when you bolt it down. Just remove the pressure piston and shove the screw out the bottem. The bottem seal can be removed if needed. Clean out the old lube with a heat gun or boil it in a bucket of water. Lyman can supply o-rings, or take the old ones to your local hardware or plumbing supply house. The bottom seal is staked in place, after you get it cleaned up you can see the dimples around the outside of the seal. If the bottom seal is not leaking don't take it out. When you get yours cleaned out you will see that it is a pretty simple machine. Hope this helps. The lyman size die have the o-ring around the top of the die. Bill

madcaster
12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
It comes up through the bottom of the sizer,IF you ever break it just have a steel washer welded onto the bottom of it or just get a new one from Lyman.
Leaking?My thinking on this is to mount it on a piece of 1" thick aluminium long enough for a clothes iron and bolt it down tight,that SHOULD prevent any leaks in the bottom?