PDA

View Full Version : Casting place

Beekeeper
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Been reading all of the posts but havent seen anything so decided to ask.
Only have a garage to work in and with the cold and rain(and snow) can't open the door to the outside.
Want to use the time casting but am not sure the ramifications of doing it in a closed garage.
Figure I need some type of exhaust ventilation for lead fumes and fluxing fumes.
Anyone got a good setup their willing to share a pic or diagrahm of

survivalists Dad

GLOCKENNBOOMER
12-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I too am interested in this....Have a little shop, but on cold and/or rainy days I don't wanna cast outside...

imashooter2
12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=450495&postcount=5

GLOCKENNBOOMER
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice!!!

imashooter2
12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Pat has a fair to middlin' setup.

chrisx1
12-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Sweeeet indoor setup. If I had something like that there's no tellin' how many boolits I would have cast up

454PB
12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I've been casting indoors for 35 years, and no ventilation unless it's 75 degrees. I do most of my casting during the Fall and Winter. My blood lead levels are normal.

Hand to mouth is the most common source of lead ingestion. Keep your hands away from your mouth, don't eat or drink while casting. and be careful with dross and lead dust.

I use Marvelux for fluxing to avoid the smoke.

Bret4207
12-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Unless your alloy is super hot it shouldn't be a problem. You're probably in greater "danger" from the flux fumes than lead.

cajun shooter
12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I have a 12x24 shop that is used for several things including casting. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a attic exhaust fan that is designed to go into a gable. The price is about $35 and they are wired for 110. It comes with an adjustable stat. I cut a hole in the side of my shop and installed it. When casting, I turn it on above the bench and have a box fan blowing at me from 8ft away. All the fumes go outside for a $35 investment.

mold maker
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I also, smelt out doors only. Casting is done indoors under a salvaged range hood with outside exhaust. it's a temporary set up that lets me use a work bench for other things. My lead levels are low/normal.
As stated above, clean hands are the best way to avoid problems. Anylead that doesn't have a bright appearance has oxides. Handeling that, is where the contamination starts. This is the source of the dust on top of your smelt/melt. This dust is easily made airborn and inhaled. KEEP YOUR WHOLE AREA CLEAN.
If you TOTALLY avoid the airborn dust, and wash your hands before SMOKING, EATING, etc, you are as safe as if you didn't cast.

cajun shooter
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
They have a moist towel that I bought and keep a jar of on my casting table called lead away. They remove lead and other un wanted metals from the hands.

montana_charlie
12-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Figure I need some type of exhaust ventilation for lead fumes and fluxing fumes.
Smoke from fluxing can be annoying, but not particularly deadly. Some fluxing agents produce less smoke.
I think the more important question...when it comes to ventilation...is what kind of 'energy' you are using. An electric pot is a non-issue, but any form of 'fuel' needs an escape for the gaseous byproduct(s).

Raising a garage door about an inch should suffice as carbon monoxide is heavy and will flow out. It would help if the door is on the leeward (loo'-ard) side of the building.
CM