PDA

View Full Version : .243 for 95 to 100Gr Cast&Jacketed Best Powder?

JesterGrin_1
12-22-2008, 03:16 PM
This will be my first time to load for the little .243 for my Remington MoHawk 600 and would like to know your thoughts on the best powder to use for the heavy BOOLITS for Deer? Thank You for any help this great forum can give. :)

rugerman1
12-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Cliff,
For 100gr jacketed bullets(usually Sierra SBT's),I've used IMR-4831 the most.I've also used H-4831 and H-450(discontinued).
I've recently played with some Hornady 95gr SST's with IMR-7828.Never shot any deer with those yet but they are very accurate.
Mark

felix
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
The problem with the slow burners in this case/bore size is that the powder needs to have that chemical used to maintain burn throughout the temperature range. I went through this just last time it was 75 degrees or so with 100 grain BULLETS. Pressure was just perfect using 7828 by the base expansion measurement. Shot the same load again at about 40 degrees, and you could have cooked an egg in the primer cavity. We're talking at least a 10K cup drop. I searched the boards looking for this characteristic in other powders. RL22 is one of the worst offenders, it appears. Maybe the Aussie 4831 powder has that chemical required as does Varget has for sure. To sum this up, I would use 4350 at the slowest and sacrifice some velocity at the higher temps next time around. In other words, use a faster power, and a considerably faster one for BOOLITS. ... felix

carpetman
12-22-2008, 04:35 PM
100 grain jacketed IMR 4831 in .243---between my son in law,nephew,grandson and myself several pickup loads of deer and I don't recall any that were not one shot.

9.3X62AL
12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I've been using 12.0 grains of 2400 with the RCBS 95 grain spitzer casting with fine results. Velocity runs about 1650-1700 FPS, and accuracy is first-rate........MANY 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. These also whack ground squirrels and jackrabbits in no uncertain terms.

MT Gianni
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I have used 100 gr Hornadays with IMR 4350, AA & IMR4064 and both 4831. I get the best accuracy with IMR 4831 though all are close. I have yet to run low enough on it to try the short cut stuff. Gianni

NSP64
12-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Best 100gr rcbs cast load 12.5gr 2400:drinks:

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 03:12 AM
I picked up some Hornady 95Gr SST BOOLITS. But reloading data for them is pretty much nill and Hornady will be closed till the Jan 5th lol. Would someone have load data for this BOOLIT with IMR-4350?

Thank You for all the help. :)

missionary5155
12-31-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been using 12.0 grains of 2400 with the RCBS 95 grain spitzer casting with fine results. Velocity runs about 1650-1700 FPS, and accuracy is first-rate........MANY 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. These also whack ground squirrels and jackrabbits in no uncertain terms.

Good morning I will be loading my .243 Rem 788 again this time back up there in the North. I was wondering what boolit mix you are using ? At the listed FPS it looks like WW would be a good starting place.
Thanks ! God Bless you this coming year !

rugerman1
12-31-2008, 10:13 AM
I picked up some Hornady 95Gr SST BOOLITS. But reloading data for them is pretty much nill and Hornady will be closed till the Jan 5th lol. Would someone have load data for this BOOLIT with IMR-4350?

Thank You for all the help. :)

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

BTW Cliffy,it's BULLET when ya talk about Hornady 95Gr SST'shttp://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif

felix
12-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Do NOT use 4350 with BOOLITS! ... felix

Blammer
12-31-2008, 11:33 AM
IMR4350 and IMR4320 and IMR3031 are good with 100gr jacketed for the 243.

DLCTEX
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM
H 4831 for 100 gr. jacketed.

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Again lol I picked up some Hornady 95Gr SST BOOLITS. But reloading data for them is pretty much nill and Hornady will be closed till the Jan 5th lol. Would someone have load data for this Bullit with IMR-4350?

The Hodgdon site does not have load info for this bullet that is why I brought the ? here :)

Thank You for all the help.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Good morning I will be loading my .243 Rem 788 again this time back up there in the North. I was wondering what boolit mix you are using ? At the listed FPS it looks like WW would be a good starting place.
Thanks ! God Bless you this coming year !

And a Happy New Year to you and yours, Missionary!

I've used Taracorp alloy for most of my rifle boolits for a long time. This is 92/6/2, or half Lino/half unalloyed lead. I just ran a brush and Hoppe's with patches through my Rem 788's bore after about 600 rounds of this load, and there were only a few tiny 'sparkles' on the patches visible in strong light. As a practical matter, there was zero leading. Accuracy had fallen off a bit, and I think lube deposits were starting to build up in some manner (I'm using Javelina Alox). If the wind would die down some, I'll see if this clean-out eliminated the flyer issue for me. Few things ruin a range day like ONE flyer 1.5" out at 2 o'clock when nine other hits make a chrysanthemum of 3/4" CTC @ 100 yards.

I'll also be trying NSP-64's recommendation of 12.5 grains x 2400 in 243 and 250 Savage. The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual gives data using 2400 powder at 13.0 grains (1735 FPS) to 15.0 grains (1987 FPS); (pp. 51). 12.0 grains runs just under 1700 FPS for me, so there may be some credence to the idea that Alliant 2400 powder has been re-formulated since the 1986 publication of the Manual.

Kudos and thanks again to Carpetman for the samples of the RCBS 95 SP that proved so accurate in my 788. Few cast boolit ventures with rifles have been as satisfying as the accuracy and enjoyment of the caliber I get from these home-poured smallbore castings in the 243.

rugerman1
12-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Again lol I picked up some Hornady 95Gr SST BOOLITS. But reloading data for them is pretty much nill and Hornady will be closed till the Jan 5th lol. Would someone have load data for this Bullit with IMR-4350?

The Hodgdon site does not have load info for this bullet that is why I brought the ? here :)

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=438424

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Rugerman1 you kill me lol.

Larry Gibson
12-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Rugerman1 you kill me lol.

I don't believe Rugerman1's post was in jest. It appears you do not have a reloading manual(?). You can "Google" most of the manufacturers and get some loading data. The best "all around" manual is the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading handbook. It has jacketed and cast bullet information and data. I'd suggest you get at least that one.

Data for a 100 gr Hornady BTSP with IMR 4350 from that manual;

Start; 35.5 gr
Max; 39.5 gr

This data should be a good place to start working up your load. If you do not know how to "work up a load" then please get the Lyman Reloading Handbook and read it. Please do not just "go" with a load as that can be dangerous.

With jacketed bullets I've not found 4350 to be the best powder with the heavier bullets. I prefer H4831SC and use it exclusively in the .243 with 100 gr hornady SPBTs.

Sad to say I've not shot any cast in the .243 so I will defer to those who have on that subject.

Larry Gibson

felix
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
I would think, Larry, that Hodgdon's 4831, sc, ssc, would be the best speed, especially ASSUMING that flavor (Aussie?) has that chemical(s) which keeps ignition consistent enough throughout the environmental temp range for all hunting conditions. Hopefully, they start using those ignition chemicals for all their powders, IMR, and WHOEVER. ... felix

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Larry yes I have both the Lyman 48 and the new 49th edition. But there is no Hornady .243 6mm 95Gr SST load info. Also on the Hodgdon site there is no load info for this bullet as well. And I also know I can order the Hornady reloading book as well. And call Hornady directly after they reopen on Jan 5th.

I was just in hope that someone on this site where people tend to load just a bit would maybe have the information on hand.

Thank You for the thoughts. :):drinks:

I don't believe Rugerman1's post was in jest. It appears you do not have a reloading manual(?). You can "Google" most of the manufacturers and get some loading data. The best "all around" manual is the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading handbook. It has jacketed and cast bullet information and data. I'd suggest you get at least that one.

Data for a 100 gr Hornady BTSP with IMR 4350 from that manual;

Start; 35.5 gr
Max; 39.5 gr

This data should be a good place to start working up your load. If you do not know how to "work up a load" then please get the Lyman Reloading Handbook and read it. Please do not just "go" with a load as that can be dangerous.

With jacketed bullets I've not found 4350 to be the best powder with the heavier bullets. I prefer H4831SC and use it exclusively in the .243 with 100 gr hornady SPBTs.

Sad to say I've not shot any cast in the .243 so I will defer to those who have on that subject.

Larry Gibson

sundog
12-31-2008, 09:58 PM
Is the SST bullet a cast bullet? If it is not - that is, it is a jacketed bullet, then cast 'boolit' data is NOT what you are looking for.

I'll second Larry's post. If this is a jacketed bullet, you need to get the correct data. Then, you need to work up a load for YOUR rifle.

shooterman
12-31-2008, 10:15 PM
sorry about the bad pic. 100 yards

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Again lol I picked up some Hornady 95Gr SST BullitS. But reloading data for them is pretty much nill and Hornady will be closed till the Jan 5th lol. Would someone have load data for this Bullit with IMR-4350?

The Hodgdon site does not have load info for this bullet that is why I brought the ? here

Larry Gibson
12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Larry yes I have both the Lyman 48 and the new 49th edition. But there is no Hornady .243 6mm 95Gr SST load info. Also on the Hodgdon site there is no load info for this bullet as well. And I also know I can order the Hornady reloading book as well. And call Hornady directly after they reopen on Jan 5th.

I was just in hope that someone on this site where people tend to load just a bit would maybe have the information on hand.

Thank You for the thoughts. :):drinks:

You're right, there is no data for the 95 gr bullet. Most all of us who reload very seldom match all the componants used in any manual. Even then, our rifles are different than the test rifles. That is another reason why the manuals and all reloading data should be used as a guide, not absolute fact. All manuals tell you to "work up the load" because they know of the many variables.

The load I quoted was for 100 gr Hornady BTSPs. Given all the variable the 5 gr difference in bullet weight isn't much, especially if you heed the advice and start with the starting load and work up to what your rifle likes. Read the loading information in the manuals you have and they will explain that. I am not being short with you; I am trying to keep you safe. On another forum is a thread about "I had a blow up today". The poster use the listed maximum load in his manual instead of working up the load for his 25-06. He was lucky because he only had a severely blown primer without damge to his rifle or himself.

This is a very good example of what happens when someone assumes all published loads are safe. They are not. You should always work up to a load. That goes for any loads I may give you or anyone else.

Larry Gibson

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Yes I know I need to get the correct load data and I also know I need to work the load for MY RIFLE. But as I said I will have to order the Hornady Manual of which will take 5 days or longer or wait till Jan 5th and call Hornady directly for the info. I thought maybe by some remote chance someone on this forum would have the info to enable me to load some test rounds to try out for the weekend.

And I still do not understand from my Original question of which had No None Zero Zip questions for cast yet there are misunderstandings to what I am looking for.

Is the SST bullet a cast bullet? If it is not - that is, it is a jacketed bullet, then cast 'boolit' data is NOT what you are looking for.

I'll second Larry's post. If this is a jacketed bullet, you need to get the correct data. Then, you need to work up a load for YOUR rifle.

JesterGrin_1
12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Larry Thank You I know you are trying to help. And I also know that it is the right thing to do not only for myself but of others reading to do the research that is needed.

I never start at the highest load. I always start at the bottom and work my way up. For rifles it is normally by 1/2 Gr at a time. As I have found most of the time the middle ground load tends to shoot the best. I was also looking for the O.A.L of said cartridge. Thank you for the load info as I feel that what you listed as starting powder charge would be safe as it would be lower in a heavier bullet than it would be in a lighter one.

Again Thank You Larry

You're right, there is no data for the 95 gr bullet. Most all of us who reload very seldom match all the componants used in any manual. Even then, our rifles are different than the test rifles. That is another reason why the manuals and all reloading data should be used as a guide, not absolute fact. All manuals tell you to "work up the load" because they know of the many variables.

The load I quoted was for 100 gr Hornady BTSPs. Given all the variable the 5 gr difference in bullet weight isn't much, especially if you heed the advice and start with the starting load and work up to what your rifle likes. Read the loading information in the manuals you have and they will explain that. I am not being short with you; I am trying to keep you safe. On another forum is a thread about "I had a blow up today". The poster use the listed maximum load in his manual instead of working up the load for his 25-06. He was lucky because he only had a severely blown primer without damge to his rifle or himself.

This is a very good example of what happens when someone assumes all published loads are safe. They are not. You should always work up to a load. That goes for any loads I may give you or anyone else.

Larry Gibson

carpetman
12-31-2008, 10:43 PM
JesterGrin---My Hornady Manual--Ninth Printing 1989 does not list data for a 95 grain bullet in .243 period. It does have data for a 100 grain using 4350. Start of 39.0 and max of 41.4. The next closest to 95 grain bullet that's listed is the 87 grain and 4350 is not a listed powder. Having said that--I use 42.0 grains of IMR 4831 with a 100 grain bullet. IMR 4831 has a start of 38.9 and max of 42.6. I am glad to hear you are not planning on using cast in the .243 for deer. I tried it ONCE--never again and my cast load was accurate and chronied higher than the jacketed load I use.

phishroy
08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Do NOT use 4350 with BOOLITS! ... felix

Can you clarify why 4350 is not a good powder for cast boolits?
Trying to learn the reasoning

stephen perry
08-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Usually come out at 85 grn ww/ 78 grn lino. Try 4198 and Unique powders.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Maven
08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
phishroy, I think Felix meant that to get reasonable accuracy with CB's, you'd have to use less than 1/2 a caseful of IMR 4350, which may increase the risk of secondary explosion effect. Partially filled large capacity cases and slow burning powders generally invite this. 42 - 43 grs. of 4350 + a 95 gr. CB would be pushing 2,900 fps, but barrel leading would be heavy and accuracy low to nonexistent. On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use H/IMR 4198, VV N 133, AA 5744, AA 2015, or WC 820 (AA #9) with 87 gr. - 95 gr. CB's. Btw, don't even think about using even a full case of WC 860 in the .243Win. with cast or jacketed bullets. (Don't ask how I know this!)

Marlin Junky
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Btw, don't even think about using even a full case of WC 860 in the .243Win. with cast or jacketed bullets. (Don't ask how I know this!)

Assuming the proper alloy, I would think the only problem would be too much unburned powder. What am I missing?

MJ

Maven
08-30-2010, 06:54 PM
MJ, You wouldn't believe how much unburned powder there was with 87 gr. CB's. Both the bbl. and chamber were loaded with it, so much so that I had to pry some of the cases out and use a cleaning rod down the muzzle to remove the others. That experience didn't exactly make me want to try it with a j-word bullet either. In short, WC 860, even with mag. primers, needs a great deal of resistance/pressure to burn "efficiently" or something remotely like that. I.e., in other calibers, e.g., the 6.5 x 55mm, there is a great variety of heavy/heavier jacketed bullets which work well with that propellant. Unfortunately, that variety is absent with the .243Win., and worse, my rifle isn't at all happy with bullets of either type that are heavier than 90 grs. I mean, why futz around with an unsuitable powder when IMR 4350 or IMR 7383 will give me ~3,000 fps with 85 gr. - 90 gr. j-words and m.o.a. accuracy? Let's also admit that we don't use WC 860 or its slow burning brethren because its the best powder, but because it's (or used to be) dirt cheap and we're thrifty.

Artful
09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
105 Berger J word bullets with 41 grn 4831 seems to work fine in my remington.