PDA

View Full Version : New Member

JimKirk
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Hello....
I'm new to Boolits and just wanted to introduce myself! I'm not new to casting and have been since early 70's. Started with a Lee REAL muzzleloader mold ,a small frying pan(cast iron) and a bent tablespoon with hammered on pipe handle! I have several different .357 and 44 mag Lyman molds...Lyman Pot ...Lyman luber-sizer and lots of wheel weights! What I have not had has been TIME...but now I'm retiring after 35 yrs as USPS city carrier...so maybe I'll have some time to enjoy what I love ....shooting and reloading.... that includes casting!

Jimmy K

Kuato
12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the board! Some real fine folks here, so sit back,grab some hot coffee & enjoy!!

NSP64
12-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Welcome aboard.

Bigjohn
12-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the board, Jimmy.

No time like the present to get started and remember, "The only silly question is the one YOU don't ask!"

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year from downunder,

John. :drinks:

RugerFan
12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Welcome Jim. You're going to have fun in here. :Fire:

Echo
12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Welcome aboard, Jimmy. I gave been on this board long enough (maybe 6 months!) to feel authorized to offer a welcome. This is the best board on the net (IM NEVER-TO-BE HO), and you will become ADDICTED! And it is a GOOD addiction!

lunicy
12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Welcome tot he board. These guys know their stuff.

randyrat
12-21-2008, 11:35 PM
A big Welcome to the board. Now your job won't get in the way of your hobbies. I just told my boss i'm gonna quit. As soon as i find a job that pays 200,000/year and only have to work 10 hours/ week. I'm still looking.

Whats your first project since retirement. Rifle or pistol. Go ahead and make a new post and tell us all about it. The best way here is to jump right in.

fatnhappy
12-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Welcome to the board Cpt.

copdills
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Welcome aboard JimKirk:castmine:

JimKirk
12-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Already re-learned a lot! Funny how quick it leaves you ..when you don't use!

First project ..is to melt down and clean about 200 to 250 lbs of wheel weights and pour into ingots.....our worsrt weather is ahead ...so weather permitting!
Still have about 60 days left on my USPS sentence....then I get parole 02-28-09.

Jimmy K

MT Gianni
12-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Welcome to the sanatorium, the place that keeps us sane. Gianni

AZ-Stew
12-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Jim,

Welcome to the board!

I find it amazing that you started with such sophisticated equipment. My first casting pot was a Borkum Riff tobacco can. It had a rolled seam, rather than soldered, so it wouldn't come apart when it was up to temp. It also fit well on the burners of the wife's gas stoves in whatever apartment complex we happened to live in at the time while serving in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club.

Congrats on your retirement.

Regards,

Stew

357maximum
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
A big welcome JimKirk[smilie=2:

randyrat
12-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Already re-learned a lot! Funny how quick it leaves you ..when you don't use!

First project ..is to melt down and clean about 200 to 250 lbs of wheel weights and pour into ingots.....our worsrt weather is ahead ...so weather permitting!
Still have about 60 days left on my USPS sentence....then I get parole 02-28-09.

Jimmy K Keep in mind. WWs are worth just as much in their original form as they are melted down, at least they were. The reason being people know what they are. But i like to melt mine down for easy storage.

Down South
12-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Welcome to the forum Jim. I'm glad to hear that you are able to lay it down. I understand not having enough time to do the things that you want to do. I'm in the same boat. I’ve heard several times about folks who retired and then soon went back to work. (They just didn’t know what to do with themselves) was the excuse that I hear a lot. I promise if I ever get the opportunity to retire I’ll have plenty to do.
Casting is new to me. I’ve only been casting for about a year. I’ve got +35 years of reloading under my belt. But I still enjoy reloading as much as I did in the early days and now casting has added even more joy to my hobby.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck.

azrednek
12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Jim glad you're retired. Now make sure you get on the 12 hour list here. I just put in a 96, with 24 feet of wheel weights I need culled and melted into 2 lb bars. Looks like about 4 hours of work so expect your hand-off will be approved for 2.

Kidding aside you'll never guess what I'm using for a casting and loading work benches. Both are carrier cases that were surplussed out by the PO right before we converted to DPS. I tossed the shelves on the casting bench but the loading bench I save four shelves. I also found a bunch of dividers in the drawer. These all steel benches are perfect for reloading.

Be honest Jim, how many wheel weights did you pick up on the street?? I used to find a few each week.

Any how welcome and congrats on the retirement. I started in 79 as a mail handler, then a flat sorting clerk, carrier for almost 20 and then the dark period Iwasn't very successfull at. I didn't have the same equipment as my female counterpart and though my numbers were allot better she got promoted.

Bret4207
12-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Welcome Jim, I'll hold the Star Trek humor for later! Hang in there for the retirement. I just finished 21+ years NYSP employment at 9:30AM Friday. So far it's pretty good. although I did spend a lot of time plowing snow out from in front of the barn yesterday so that I could get out easily when I LEFT FOR WORK in the morning! Old habits die hard.

Glad to have you aboard! Merry Christmas!

dale2242
12-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Welcome Jim, I just retired,1-10-08, you`ll love it. Lots of time to load and cast.----dale

JimKirk
12-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the welcomes..... I know some of you are really freazzing your *** off ...it's cold here(s. GA) for S. GA .. no casting until it warms up!
azzrednek..maybe your qualifications were not warm and fuzzy enough....I have been by passed up so many times, just like you ...that I gave up! I'll P.M. you later .. we may need to talk!
I like to have my WW in those little Lyman ingots...so I can slip'm right in the old Lyman pot ...darn done forgot how much they weigh...now I have to get out those old 10 lbs P.O. beam scales that got trashed when the digital scales came along! I have a set of those old rural cases that got junked too ...that is were I have may casting stuff set up....if I could just find it beneath all the junk! I have time to hunt it before long! Got builld some shelves for the case too!
Jimmy K

Heavy lead
12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys for all the welcomes..... I know some of you are really freazzing your *** off ...it's cold here(s. GA) for S. GA .. no casting until it warms up!
azzrednek..maybe your qualifications were not warm and fuzzy enough....I have been by passed up so many times, just like you ...that I gave up! I'll P.M. you later .. we may need to talk!
I like to have my WW in those little Lyman ingots...so I can slip'm right in the old Lyman pot ...darn done forgot how much they weigh...now I have to get out those old 10 lbs P.O. beam scales that got trashed when the digital scales came along! I have a set of those old rural cases that got junked too ...that is were I have may casting stuff set up....if I could just find it beneath all the junk! I have time to hunt it before long! Got builld some shelves for the case too!
Jimmy K

Aye keptin, it's only -1F.
Sorry, Welcome. I casted tonight in all seriousness in the basement (I have a 400cfm fan 10" above the pot and a make up air) if I waited 'til it was warm and not wet in Michigan, I might be able to cast one day a year.

JimKirk
12-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I forgot about picking up the WW on the street...picked up a many..many of them! US # 1 runs right N-S thru my Rt. ..lots of big truck and those will cast several boolits each... battery cable ends ... lots of them in the housing project parking lots! Lead pipes from the old houses that got torn down on my Rt. too ...got my WW from the Service station where we gas the PO truck... being a carrier does have it's perks!
Jimmy K

JimKirk
12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Heavy Lead...
maybe we could mix some of our 100* + & 90% humidity days(like June-August) with your -1* days and get some reasonable 50* days...purr-fect for casting!
JK

Heavy lead
12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Don't you wish we could. This is the coldest December I can remember here, we're right across the big lake from Chicago, and we are about two thirds are normal snow fall for the year already, and sub zero, which we usually only see a few times and usually in Jan, or Feb. The big lake usually tempers our weather quite a bit. It was the last day of muzzle loader season yesterday, darn near froze to death with the deer, don't think I coulda pulled the trigger if I saw one.
Glad you're aboard, you'll like it here.:Fire:

JimKirk
12-23-2008, 07:20 PM
You'd think ..if Al Bore could invent the internet...he'd be able to invent something to combat Global warming ..... wait .. wait .. I wonder if he looked at the weather map yesterday...maybe he did...hope his drawers froze to his rear! He should have used his internet to search Greenland!
JK