PDA

View Full Version : slug recipe

acemedic13
12-21-2008, 03:07 PM
I am looking to load a 7/8 ounce lee slug. I am using red dot and a 209 primer. I was going to load a few in a 3'' case. Has anyone loaded these in this form? and if so, what was the max gr. of powder you used ? I have been loading these slugs in a AA 2 3/4 shell with 18.5 gr. of red dot. With great results. I just wanted to step them up a bit. Any data you could provide would be a great help. Thank you.

turbo1889
12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Well first off the powder you are using, Red Dot, is a little on the fast burning side to get magnum performance slug loads out of -- this does not mean of course that you can't use it for "wad-slug" loads by any means. You can load wad-slugs using equivalent weight shot load data, but of course you are somewhat limited in the velocity area due to this. In other words with a powder this high up on the burn rate you will reach magnum pressures long before you reach magnum velocity -- 1,300 to 1,400 is probably the upper limit for velocity for this powder in a decent length barrel, even less for a short or tactical length barrel.

But to give you an idea how far you could go with this powder I looked through all the 7/8oz. load data for Red Dot on the Alliant web site: ( http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gauge=12&gtypeid=3&title=Shotshell ) and the highest load for any combination of components I found was 20.5gr. but all the loads seemed to be well into the low pressure range.

Next I cross compared this with the Lee universal load chart: ( http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/LA1070.pdf ) and although it's lightest load is 1-oz. not 7/8oz. it lists a maximum 3-1/4 Dram Equiv load of 19.8gr for all plastic construction hulls and 20.9gr. for hulls having a paper base-wad and/or body.

Then, finally, I compared this with 28gram. (aprox 1oz.) European load data which is loaded to a velocity of 410m/s (aprox 1,345 ft/s) and what limited access I have to such data lists charges of Red Dot between 1.40 & 1.50 grams (aprox 21.5 to 23.0 grains) with pressures at about 690-BAR (aprox 10-K PSI)

In conclusion I can say that if it were me I would not hesitate to take my loads up to and maybe even a grain or two beyond the 20grain mark with Red Dot working up slowly and watching for trouble along the way of course. Federal wads are usually the best with wad-slugs both for accuracy and velocity. Fed. 12S3 pinkish red wad should work nicely for 2-3/4" loads and the 12S0 white wad might be long enough to make 3" loads with only a slight concavity to the fold crimp.

Now if you want velocity above and beyond this your going to have to switch powders.

missionary5155
12-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Greetings In this forum Longbow has some good loading data with Blue Dot.. I do not think personally I would try much MAGNUM loading with Red. I have used Unique on the hot side and you can get some real nasty pressure spikes as you get TOO hot and REAL fast. Red Dot I think could get real unforgiving MUCH faster.

acemedic13
12-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Thank you turbo for all that info. That was a lot more than I expected!! I might try some clays and blue dot. I was using red dot because it was what I had and i wanted to use it up. I also looked up alliant and read the info there. I just wanted to know if anybody had any experience using said components. Thank's again guys for taking the time to help me on this little endeavor.....Joel

longbow
12-22-2008, 03:35 AM
I don't have my load info at hand at the moment but will see what I have for the 7/8 oz. 12 ga. slug.

My feeling is that Blue Dot would be a little slow for such a light slug. I have had pretty good results with 0.662" (1 oz.) RB over Blue Dot though. That is as light as I have shot and was surprised it shot so well. I don't think I have a shot loading under 1 1/4 oz. for Blue Dot.

I would figure that a slightly faster powder like Unique would be a better choice for the light slug.

If you are looking to use up the Red Dot I will take a look to see what I have and post it if there is anything useful. I'm thinking it is unlikely I will find anything for 3" using Red Dot though.

Longbow

Garyshome
08-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Not what I was wanting to hear about Red Dot [Promo]. Getting real close to being at the end of my Ammo agenda and Promo/Red dot is what I have to load 1 oz slugs.

FullTang
08-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Check here for some nice new slug loads for Red Dot: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm

Also, there are Red Dot 7/8 loads as fast as 1485 fps in the BP Manual (with Euro wads.)

rhouser
12-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Funny how some old threads can make come backs.

FullTang, your link to BPI is just what I was looking for. I needed some loads for the 7/8 Lee Key Slug in a 2 3/4" hull. My mold is maybe 8 years old and had cobwebs. I had the original load sheet from Lee, but I have none of the Powders they are using and can't buy them either.

I have Red Dot and Unique. Your link will let me use the red dot. I may even order the Rio Hulls and Wads.

Thanks to the original posters as well. I learned a lot from this reading.

rc

qkdraw44
12-02-2014, 10:28 PM
hi all, I am loading the 525 lyman with a dwindling supply of blue dot I recently came into a jug of tight wad and a jug of long shot
does any one know if they can be used for a slug

FullTang
12-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Longshot is great for the 525---Lyman manual has lots of loads for that.