PDA

View Full Version : Very new

Ron1962
12-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Even to this posting of threads. But I am looking for a starting point and was told this was the best sight for it. Are there any books that are out and which one is the best.

NSP64
12-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Welcome. Lymans cast bullet book. gives mold data, history of guns, chemistry of alloys, load data, ballistic charts. What will you be loading for? You can use the search (under where your screen name sign in is) to find all kinds of info. Ask questions. If it's been asked before someone will point you in the right direction.

Ron1962
12-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I have a dillon reloading press,reload 45acp and others would like to start casting for 45 acp. I like the 230 gr rn but would like to use tc round

Ron1962
12-21-2008, 09:21 AM
I just sent you a message then found this as re-read your first reply. Will this get right to you? Sorry so much trouble

Bret4207
12-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Welcome Ron. This IS the best place on the 'net for casting info. I'm not sure what you last post was asking, but here goes.

A RN or TC should work fine in most 45's. Check the various mould manufactures sites and you should see the pictures of the moulds they offer. I'm sure others here will chime in and give you some info. The Lyman Cast Bullet Book is a real good place to start.

Down South
12-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the forum. The most and best information that you will ever find about casting will be right here. Read, read, read is the best suggestion that I can make to you. I’ve spent many hours just reading here. Use the search function when you are looking for something specific. The books mentioned above are great too plus you’ll get some good cast load data from them.

Shiloh
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
I have a dillon reloading press,reload 45acp and others would like to start casting for 45 acp. I like the 230 gr rn but would like to use tc round

The .45 ACP works well with many boolits. Both round nose and truncated cone feed well. Sometimes there is feeding problems with SWC but my pistol loads and shoots them well.

The 1911 and cast boolits seems to be a match made in heaven. :-D

Shiloh

IcerUSA
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM
There are 3 books that I would recommend , The Lyman and the Lyman Cast Bullet , and the Lee , there are others out there as well that I know nothing about , but I'm sure someone will chime in and let you know what they are .

Stickies here is a good place to start looking and reading on this site . The search function brings up tons of stuff so you may have to adjust your search words some to help narrow it down . Don't worry if you go off on a tangent from where you started as the streets have no signs and you very well could wind up way over there when you wanted to go way over this way , just save it for another day . :)

When all else fails just ask and you will get pointed in the right direction . ;)

Oh before I forget , Welcome to the greatest place on the net , and not just for casting , it's kind of a family , net family that is .

Keith

NSP64
12-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Looks like ron1962 is shootin a Sig 45(avitar) He might try some lee 200gr swc boolits.:drinks:

NSP64
12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Holy crap I clicked on his avitar and it came up a souped up 1911:D the small pic looks like a sig (this is why all my rifles have scopes)

kir_kenix
12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Same thing happened to me! Looked like a Springfield XD to me, but when I click on it it looks alot different.

Anyway, there is a ton of good info on this sight. I've learned a ton here, and I learn something new everytime I log in. The .45 ACP is a great place to start casting. I would suggest picking up the Lyman Cast manual as well. Check out the "stickies" part of the frorum, there are literally hours worth of good info to be found in there.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun along the way...

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Hello Ron and again welcome! I`ll try to keep my advice brief. Definatley get some or all the above mentioned books to get an understanding of the idea of casting. Next, start collecting lead, wheel weights are the primo choice though not the only one. Pure lead mixed with ww makes a good alloy for the .45. If you locate some lead - nab onto it! If the type is known, but foreign to you, we can help with a use for it. Avoid battery reclaimed lead, it can be nasty stuff. Re-claimed range lead is another source. There are threads on smelting lead all over these sites. Finally, yes I`m almost done, don`t think you have a stupid question we will laugh at. There is no such thing as a stupid question! Only a need to understand something better. Good luck and keep in touch. BTW< NICE piece of handshooter! :castmine: Robert

Larry Gibson
12-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is the first book to read regarding casting bullets.

Larry Gibson

copdills
12-21-2008, 02:04 PM
welcome to the forum :coffeecom

The Nyack Kid
12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
One book that ,IMO, belongs in every boolit caster's library , is Joe Brennan's

Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert , second edition

There is ALOT of info in it .