PDA

View Full Version : Why not more "nose pour" bullets?

Dave B
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I have'nt tried any, but a nose pour design looks to be a good idea. It looks like it would fill easily and have a perfect base. Why don't we see more of them? Am I missing something?

Phil
12-20-2008, 09:20 PM
More expensive to make for one thing.

Cheers,

Phil

jameslovesjammie
12-20-2008, 11:27 PM
The base would be perfect, but I would imagine the sprue cutter could tear the nose if cut too soon. Not a big deal for a 400 grain .45 cal mould, but pretty big for a 50 grain .22.

Just a guess...no real experience here.

NSP64
12-20-2008, 11:32 PM
a perfect base.

I think I would want a perfect nose.:drinks:

Echo
12-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I believe a perfect base is more important...

Buckshot
12-21-2008, 03:22 AM
I believe a perfect base is more important...

...........Yup, the base steers! The base rules :-) You can do all sorts of mangling to the nose and it'll still fly straight.

...............Buckshot

missionary5155
12-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Good morning A simple test is to damage a few noses (no not that cranky nieghbor) on a couple boolits from a PROVEN accurate load and damage a few boolit bases . Take them out and fire them. I recommend you fire the damaged nose boolits first. Depending on how badly you damaged the bases you may be Mining lead out of your once clean barrel. It does not take hardly any Base damage to upset flight parameters.
You can do some real ugly things to a boolit nose and it will still fly reasonably well.

357maximum
12-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I have had some limited experience with nose pour molds..personally I find it easier to get a good base with a base up mold. May not be a popular opinion, but it is mine.

joeb33050
12-21-2008, 08:06 AM
The nose-pour mold is a solution to a non-existant problem. Today we can cast bullets in base-pour molds that have essentially perfect bases. Thus Lyman, RCBS, SAECO, LEE, etc molds are base-pour.
Nose pour molds are more expensive to make, have more equipment on them, can't cast a pointed bullet, and weigh more than a base-pour.

BTW, the effect on accuracy of damaged bullet bases is much over-rated. For the results of experiments dealing with this matter, see Chapter 3.5 "DAMAGED BULLETS" in the book.
"Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expert", Second Edition, can be found and read online at: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/
The book is in "FILES", the Table Of Contents is in "The Beginning"
joe b.