PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Fluid ?

woody1
12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
I seem to have acquired a considerable quantity of power steering fluid. Besides pouring it into power steering reservoirs, what's it good for? Is it a good lubricant? Yeah, I know this is off topic but a quantity of it is stored in the vicinity of my lead muffins does that count? Or could I use if for flux when I'm smelting? Thanks in advance for any insight. Regards, Woody

trk
12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
We need Felix to weigh in on this one - he's the chemist.

I think it would be worth the effrort in experimenting, but then how much would you use in a lifetime?

DLCTEX
12-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I would think it would be ok for flux if motor oil is. Both are petroleum based.

felix
12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Dale's answer is correct, but go easy just in case it does not break down, which is required to work. However, both steering and braking fluids can capture the air's humidity, so keep that in mind. Might try the fluids for a gun cleaner in lieu of Ed's Red. If you do, make sure you use a normal oil afterwards to take care of the moisture problem. ... felix

Ricochet
12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Power steering fluid is a light petroleum oil, similar to Type F ATF or heavy spindle oil. Won't attract moisture, and it's a good gun oil and general purpose lubricant.

Here's a link to Castrol's power steering fluid MSDS: http://datasheets.bp.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/0/60A83C61DAD48FAA86257307004F7B2F/$file/014221US-Lubes%20Americas-BP%20(Wayne,%20NJ%20US).pdf

If you search elsewhere for PS fluid specs, you'll find all the stuff on pour point, viscosity, etc. Some power steering fluids have a "seal conditioner" added to swell rubber seals and help stop leaks. The basic stuff's hydraulic oil, if you need some of that with a viscosity in the high 30s centistokes at 40° C.

missionary5155
12-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Greetings Down here I can across a quart of old Ford Power Steering fluid for less than $1.. I do not have a vehicle with PS so I use it for any lube job I need if I see it first. I also use it for lubing cases before sizing. I do not do any mass reloading.. I reloaded 8 44-40 yesterday. I put a few drops on a small cloth which sits on a piece of plastic . I touch the cloth with my thumb and 1st finger then roll the case in my fingers as I am moving case to my press.
I also have used it for lubing main springs in large pocket watches, folding knife hinge, front security gate hinge...

Forester
12-20-2008, 08:43 PM
mix it half and half with diesel fuel and paint fences with it.

kir_kenix
12-21-2008, 12:15 AM
I use type F as a lube on semi-auto handguns...and I would say that the 2 would have to be pretty close. It works great from all I've seen. I have never had a problem with it, and its very easy to clean up after shooting. I don't know if I would use it for extended protection on a stored gun, but it seems to work great for what I do with it.

Johnch
12-21-2008, 12:27 AM
For shotguners , if you fail to remove your choke tube and it rusts in
Put 3-4" of ATF or power steering fluid ( both seem to work equaly well )in a metal pot on a small electric heating element , no open flames for safty
Heat to about 200 degrees

Submerge the stuck choke tube in the pot and let "cook" for 12 hours
Normaly the hot oil bath will losen the tube to the point you can turn it out with your fingers

I have also used this to free other rusty tractor parts over the years

John

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2008, 08:24 AM
id about bet if you fooled around with ratios a bit you could make an exceptable bullet lube with it mixing it with beeswax.

Bret4207
12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
ATF is my go to for stuff I used to use WD-40 on, except electrical stuff where moisture is an issue. WD-40 is still a great moisture repeller. As a light oil ATF or Power Steering Fluid works good.

Jim
12-21-2008, 09:06 AM
id about bet if you fooled around with ratios a bit you could make an exceptable bullet lube with it mixing it with beeswax.

Been there and done that. Bee's wax or mineral wax(parrafin) can be used to formulate lubes with many different oils. Lotsa folks think the bee's wax has a mystic quality about it. T'ain't so. It's just a wax produced by nature that acts as a thickener when mixed with a true lubricant.

woody1
12-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I thought it should be a good light oil for lotsa stuff but thought there might be some additives to watch out for. Regards, Woody

bobk
12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Bret 4207,
That just gave me a really off-topic idea. I work for the Post Office, as a maintenance mechanic. I work on mailboxes a lot, and in three or four weeks I will be replacing locks that fail. One of my problems is letter carriers or other mechanics who WD-40 the locks. Works fine, when they first do it, but in a year or less it turns into a sticky, draggy mess, which is the last thing you want. I may do some test cases with ATF and see how long they last before gumming up.

I stopped using WD on triggers many years ago, for just this reason. Never thought to try ATF.

Bob K

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey BobK, thanks for help keep the mail moving. I knew about the ability of WD40 to turn gummy years ago on the farm in the locks we had on fuel barrels and tool sheds. :coffee: Robert

home in oz
12-21-2008, 01:27 PM
What about lub for your chain saw on a cold day?

Done that before....

Jim
12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I spoke with one of the guys at WD-40 one time about their product. They told me that although it can be used as a lubricant and is advertized as such, it is primarily intended as a water displacement, thus the "WD". He said the "40" came from the 40th attempt at formulation. He said it has a wax disolved in the carrier and when the carrier evaporates, the wax film stays behind.
I called them because I ruined a small electric fan with it. After repeated applications, I came home one day to find the fan so stiff, it would not turn and it burned the motor. I quit using the stuff and don't buy it anymore.

JohnH
12-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Do a searach on Juinor1942/commie pinko *** lube. I have no question that power steering fluid can replace the ATF 1 to 1 in that formula and perform quite satisfactorily.

PatMarlin
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Air tool lube.

bobk
12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Hardcast416taylor,
Thanks for the kind words. There are a lot of us who try to do a good job, but it is a dying organization. Hard to keep morale up.

Bob K

woody1
12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Do a searach on Juinor1942/commie pinko *** lube. I have no question that power steering fluid can replace the ATF 1 to 1 in that formula and perform quite satisfactorily.

I may give that a try also, but what to call it? :???: My stp power steering fluid is clear!

Junior's 411 or Pinko Commie *** lube:
Over heat, mix by volume 4 parts beeswax, 1 part Dexron ATF, 1 part lithium auto grease.

Regards, Woody

Ricochet
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Drop a piece of red Christmas candle in it and it'll be suitably pink.

Oh yeah, or that bright red soft wax they cover Gouda cheese with!

unclebill
12-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Drop a piece of red Christmas candle in it and it'll be suitably pink.

Oh yeah, or that bright red soft wax they cover Gouda cheese with!

theres my excuse to go get some more Gouda!
thanks!

jim4065
12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Just a note on WD40. It makes a terrific leather conditioner and preservative. Found out about it when I talked to the curator of the J. M. Davis Gun Museum.

http://www.thegunmuseum.com/menu1.htm

Ricochet
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Best leather conditioner and preservative I've found is good old olive oil.

Jbar4Ranch
12-23-2008, 12:10 PM
It might work well as the coolant in the catch bin of a shot maker in lieu of brake fluid, Prestone, diesel, or kerosene.

missionary5155
12-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Good morning and MERRY CHRISTMAS Do you know why JesusChrist was born ?
Wd-40 the mechanical timepiece worst enemy ! Here in Peru many people use all sorts of petro oils on watches which is not the best BUT the absolute worst IS WD-40...
Last time up there a friend brought me a wall clock his grandma had been WD-40 spraying once a year to keep it going...UGH !!!!
Jesus the Christ was born to die for our sins... our Creator paid the price for our rebelious acts to give HIS forgiveness to ALL who will trust in Him and recieve HIM as thier personal Savior. How much time do you have left ??

Ricochet
12-24-2008, 03:54 AM
I long ago brought my old cuckoo clock to a standstill that way.

PineTreeGreen
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
The last container of WD-40 that I looked at said nothing about lubrication. And it does gum up but it is the best solvent for itself. So if it does gum up on you , just put some more on and then do whatever you want.
I use Amsoil MP as a firearm lube. It does not gum up and make a pretty good bore cleaner and rust preventative :-D

montana_charlie
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I long ago brought my old cuckoo clock to a standstill that way.
If WD-40 is toxic to cuckoos, somebody should tell the EPA!
We probably need a government-funded cuckoo recovery program, and a nation-wide ban on all assault water displacers.

ATF makes a pretty good lubricant for drilling holes in steel. I would think a 'large supply' of power steering fluid could be reduced by using it for similar jobs.

When drilling aluminum, I use water for lubricant.
CM

leftiye
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
If'n I remember correctly, way back when - I was young - there wasn't any such thang as power steering fluid. Only transmission fluid was what I used in power steering pumps most of my life. I suspect that actually creating power steering fluid was just a commie (or filthy capitalist) plot to make more money.

Ricochet
01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm sure you're correct. And I've used Type F ATF in power steering pumps many times myself. My Dodge truck manual recommended it as an alternative. I think my Ford manuals used to as well.

It would make good hydraulic oil for equipment that uses such oil in that viscosity range.