PDA

View Full Version : First effort, questions about GC and lubes

HangFireW8
12-20-2008, 04:27 PM
After years of thinking about it, picking up some molds at a yard sale 2 years ago, picking up a melter at a flea market last summer, and periodically reading this forum, I finally had some free time on Thursday and sat down and casted 49 Lyman 457124 beauties. In the near-freezing rain, huddled under a roof overhang.

It all went pretty smoothly, but I still learned a few things. One, you sometimes have to ignite the flux smoke, it doesn't always do it by itself. Another, there was a very little crud (burnt oil) on the nose on one side, I cleaned it out carefully after the session with solvent, toothbrush and q-tips. The impression is mostly cosmetic on the ogive, in a 380+ grain bullet at 50 and 100 yards, I don't think it's going to be much or an accuracy problem.

For lead I melted down the previous mold owner's efforts in a rifle caliber I don't shoot. I'm hoping the alloy (whatever it was), if it was suitable for his rifle velocities, will be suitable for mine. I dropped all of them in 3 inches of water.

With my Christmas bonus, I've ordered a few things to make life easier- an RCBS thermometer, a Lee Hardness Tester, Midway's Flux and Mold Release, a Lee 457 sizer kit, gas checks, and a recoil pad for my microgroove 1895.

My question is, is this bullet suitable for gas checks, and if so, is the Lee sizer kit the thing to install them? I was planning on shooting half with Lee Liquid Alox and half with Johnson's floor wax. Another question, need I size them at all for the 1895?

Thanks
HF

Dale53
12-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I have an 1895 Marlin and it will routinely shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the plain base Lee 340 gr bullet. I use an appropriate amount of RL-7. After my first session, I installed a good recoil pad - my 1895 is an early (new issue) with Ballard Rifling and a sharp, hard, plastic buttplate. It drew blood on the first go-around. The recoil pad solved that problem "right now".

I size my bullets at .458". Some people whose opinion I respect are using .460" bullets, particularly in the microgroove 1895's, and getting good results.

Some time ago (earlier this year) I got a Ranch Dog mould for Lee Tumble lube 350 gr bullets and the .460" Lee Sizer. Due to temporary vision problems (I hope:veryconfu) I haven't been able to try them. I guess it'll have to wait until Spring. However, you might want to check out Ranch Dog's web site - LOTS of good information to be had there for the Marlins (most all calibers):

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/

Dale53

HangFireW8
12-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Dale53. I've been through long sight-ins with a slug gun and a 444, so I could see that coming. My older-than-new-Ballard 1895 does have a rubber recoil pad, but it is old, hard, thin and not very confidence inspiring.

It will be hard to size to .460 when they are only coming out at .458". I hope that's enough for a microgroove.

Good luck on sorting out your vision. If you don't like what one doctor tells you... find another!

-HF

HangFireW8
12-20-2008, 05:44 PM
However, you might want to check out Ranch Dog's web site - LOTS of good information to be had there for the Marlins (most all calibers):

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/

I tried, but its really hard to read anything when all the text is doubled up on top of other text, and all the load data graphics are missing. It looks like one of those homegrown sites that was proofread on one, and only one, machine... the one with the graphics on it.

-HF

Dale53
12-20-2008, 05:58 PM
HangFire W8;
"Hand in there" W8, it's worth the trouble. Click on the two lines BEHIND the menu bullet and you will find excellent data on the .45/70 bullets from moulds he offers.

I enjoyed "traveling around" his site. He is also VERY good to deal with.

Dale53

Larry Gibson
12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
.....My question is, is this bullet suitable for gas checks, and if so, is the Lee sizer kit the thing to install them? I was planning on shooting half with Lee Liquid Alox and half with Johnson's floor wax. Another question, need I size them at all for the 1895?

Thanks
HF

No, the 457124 is not redily adaptable to putting GCs on them. The version of that bullet that used GCs is 457483 (a very good bullet I might add and one worth having).

I would suggest a couple things. Look at the RCBS 45-405-FN. It will complement the Lyman 457124 very well in your M1895 Marlin. The 457124 should do quite nice up through 1500+ fps before accuracy goes. The GC'd bullet will continue to give accuracy up through 1900+ fps.

Also you might want to hone out that .457 Lee sizer to the "as cast" diameter of your bullets or at least so it sizes them no smaller than .459". The Lee sizer is also used to crimp the GCs on the bullets that are made for GCs at the same time they are sized. This will give you the best accuracy in your Marlin.

A lighter weight GC bullet to consider is the RCBS 45-300-FN. You can push 1900+ fps in your Marlin with it and maintain very good accuracy without too bad of punishing recoil.

Larry Gibson

HangFireW8
12-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Larry. I'll load these up to 1400-1450 fps, and check out the RCBS 45-405-FN. I like the idea of heavy and flat nose bullets for hunting with the 45/70. Where I hunt, I don't need mega velocity. The woods are so thick, if I don't have my rifle handy, I could just throw a stone.

I'll have to dig through my tool box and still see if I have my brake hone from my college days.

-HF

HangFireW8
12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
I enjoyed "traveling around" his site. He is also VERY good to deal with.
Dale53

OK Dale53, if my efforts with the brake cylinder hone on my soon-coming Lee .457" sizer die don't work out, I'll try his .460 die.

Thanks!

-HF

shotman
12-21-2008, 03:11 AM
If you go to GC s with a Lee push through- I have had them catch with a hornady check. you may half to run backwards