PDA

View Full Version : Nose Pour Mold Finning

cabezaverde
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I just picked up a Lee mold for their improved 50 caliber minie ball. This is a nose pour mold that has a pin getting a hollow base. I am using pure lead with it.

The problem I am having is a fin at the bottom of the bullet, which of course provides an uneven base. I do not have a lot of experience with this type of mold.

Any suggestions out there?

montana_charlie
12-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Does the fin extend all the way around the base?
Are you sure the mould is closing completely?
Is the base pin shoved up tight against the recess?
CM

cabezaverde
12-20-2008, 12:37 PM
No, the fin is small, maybe 1/8" tick sticking down.

mooman76
12-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't usually get them but sometimes do. Make sure the mould closes all the way and there is nothing in between like little tiny lead splaters (especially around the hollow base pin). I just trim off the occational fin with a sharp pocket knife if I run across any but if they are too big you bullet could be a little too big and make it difficult to run down the bore, but that depends on the gun you are shooting. If that doesn't help try turning the lead temp down a little.

beagle
12-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Had a minie mould that did that. Improper fit of the HB pin is the problem. I just treimmed the fins off with a razor blade./beagle

montana_charlie
12-20-2008, 07:53 PM
No, the fin is small, maybe 1/8" tick sticking down.
Did you mean to say the fin is 1/8" thick ?!?
That isn't a fin...that's a feature.
CM

cajun shooter
12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Just sent a custom ordered 6 banger back to Lee for the same problem. The block pins are out of alinement and will not let the mold blocks close. Mine is made for a 454 bullet. Held it up to the light and could see daylight from the other side. NOT GOOD!! It would be a PITA to cut the fins from 2000 boolits, so I sent it back.