PDA

View Full Version : Search function assistance

Pirate69
01-21-2021, 09:34 AM
When it comes to searching the Forum, I had determined that I am worthless. Is there some guidance available on how to search the forum? I am not understanding how to search for the "word" and "word" type searches. Thanks

dbosman
01-21-2021, 07:56 PM
Searches can get interesting. I think the best advice I can give is learn from the search provider.
https://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/20-tips-use-google-search-efficiently.html
and this one on narrowing your search.
https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en

Pirate69
01-22-2021, 10:07 AM
This is a great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

rancher1913
01-22-2021, 09:15 PM
just ask the search bar a question like; "homemade shot dripper" or " loads for 30-30"

sometimes you need to ask the same question several ways to find the answer you want.

oley55
02-04-2021, 08:59 AM
I was hoping this thread would address the search parameters. Every time I try to do a single or small word search I get a 'no matches' message. Example do a search for "45", "ACP", or "45 ACP" you will get negative results. But if I type "45ACP" I'll get matches. Just a little frustrating when you look in the posts and find numerous places where the single/small search item appears many times. Another example would be doing a search using nearly all of the common reloading acronyms.

It's like the search function requires an unspecified number of letters/characters for each search item.

BIGOX
02-07-2021, 12:11 PM
Im still getting the hang fo the search tool myself but im getting better. Just have to play with the wording a little. Originally I was looking for a thread dedicated to members in California. I was wondering who is close to my location. Still haven't found it. Dose it exists? I'll keep searching.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-07-2021, 12:16 PM
I was looking for a thread dedicated to members in California. I was wondering who is close to my location. Still haven't found it. Dose it exists? I'll keep searching.

Not to my knowledge. The best way is to look at the avatar area of our many members and their state is shown. Compile your own list as you go along reading threads that interest you.

DG

iMigraine
03-28-2021, 10:27 AM
I was hoping this thread would address the search parameters. Every time I try to do a single or small word search I get a 'no matches' message. Example do a search for "45", "ACP", or "45 ACP" you will get negative results. But if I type "45ACP" I'll get matches. Just a little frustrating when you look in the posts and find numerous places where the single/small search item appears many times. Another example would be doing a search using nearly all of the common reloading acronyms.

It's like the search function requires an unspecified number of letters/characters for each search item.

AMEN!!!

I have the same problem. I will see posts about 45-70 and want to search for most posts about 45-70. Every time I use the search function on short words or calibers, I as well receive the dreaded "No Matches Found" result. Then my only option is to manually search.

Hopefully, someone more intelligent than I has a solution to this issue.

458mag
03-28-2021, 08:02 PM
What is Autofill and how do you turn it back on???

TimD
03-29-2021, 04:08 PM
If you are having problems searching you could try using google.

To restrict google to only searching the cast boolits site use the "site:" prefix.

For example to use google to search for "45-70" enter the following on google: site:castboolits.gunloads.com 45-70
This search returned 19,600 hits. Searching for "45" returned 68,000 hits.

You may want to enter additional search terms to reduce the results: site:castboolits.gunloads.com 45-70 4350
Returned 966 hits for 45-70 threads that also include IMR4350 or H4350.

Using the "site:" prefix is very handy and will work for any web site.

Hope this helps.

iMigraine
03-29-2021, 08:12 PM
Thanks TimD. I knew about the "site" term but didn't know I could add additional search terms at the end of the string. At least your advice I can filter down some of the search results. Good to know, thanks!

Minerat
03-29-2021, 08:19 PM
Im still getting the hang fo the search tool myself but im getting better. Just have to play with the wording a little. Originally I was looking for a thread dedicated to members in California. I was wondering who is close to my location. Still haven't found it. Dose it exists? I'll keep searching.

Try this, look in Community at the top of any page and go to groups and pick list all or try this link.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/group.php?groupid=9

Ben
03-30-2021, 10:34 AM

I'm with you on this one.
We had a good thing and now.............. ? ? ?
I've tried 2 different browsers, seems the search feature on this forum is dead ?

Ben

hornady308
04-09-2021, 12:54 AM
Here's how I solved the problem. Click on the little padlock icon just to the left of the website address. Scroll down and click on "site settings." Scroll way down to "Insecure content" and change the setting to "allow." Now, I can use the normal search function and actually find results, though I do get the annoying warning from Chrome for each search.

Winger Ed.
04-09-2021, 01:02 AM
On doing ammo or caliber searches, I've had great luck with putting things in with proper 'gun terms'.

Such as:
".30-06 rifle (or ammunition)" instead of just 30-06

".45-70" or ".45-70 govt" instead of 45-70

".45 Long Colt"......... ".45ACP" etc.

"Red Dot powder in rifles" or "The Load for .30-06"

These search engines aren't like Burger King....... You do it their way, or ya don't get nuth'n.

Winger Ed.
04-09-2021, 01:09 AM

When you start typing, it fills in the rest of a word as it tries to guess and think of what you want.

Go to youtube and use their on site search feature. it goes crazy filling in different words for each letter you put in.

barrabruce
04-09-2021, 02:34 AM
I can only get this on my iPad.
Then I don’t get a response if push the allow button.
Any ideas?
Thnx

No_1
04-09-2021, 03:47 AM
I'm with you on this one.
We had a good thing and now.............. ? ? ?
I've tried 2 different browsers, seems the search feature on this forum is dead ?

Ben

The search feature was disabled when we upgraded the site to HTTPS. The webmaster is working to re-enable it.

Robert

hornady308
04-09-2021, 05:01 PM
The search feature was disabled when we upgraded the site to HTTPS. The webmaster is working to re-enable it.

Robert

Ok, so we just need to have some patience? This is America, Sir. We don't have time for patience.

TimD
04-10-2021, 01:28 PM
I can only get this on my iPad.
Then I don’t get a response if push the allow button.
Any ideas?
Thnx

I get the same with my iPad or MacBook.
They are working on the problem.

krallstar
04-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Anybody else get this. When i try to use the search feature this pops up at the top of the screen, This form will be sent in a way that is not secure. Are you sure you want to send it?

Hickok
04-14-2021, 08:29 AM
Yes I am getting the same thing. I can't use the search function because of it.:x

RustyReel
04-14-2021, 08:58 AM
I did try it and I got zero results when I know there are some threads on the subject I was searching. Not sure what's going on.

Mal Paso
04-14-2021, 09:43 AM
Security Crap is getting in the way.

oldcanadice
04-14-2021, 09:57 AM
I have to go to a new browser tab and use google search to get any results now. Real pain. I put "castboolets" (without quote marks) and then what I'm searching for. Generally get a Google list of topics for this site and can bring that up to read.

Kraschenbirn
04-14-2021, 05:05 PM
' Nother "Not Secure" here. Anyone else using Norton 360 security software? I get it as part of my cable subscription as, since the last 'upgrade'(?), it seem like almost anyplace I sign in gets a "Not Secure" pop-up. A couple nights ago, I was looking for an iPhone Ap on the Apple Store and got a "Site Not Secure" notification.

Bill

Dunross
04-15-2021, 09:40 AM
I'm getting the "not secure" thing as well then no results if I tell it go search anyway.

Fortunately, the Advanced Search function still works as it should.