PDA

View Full Version : Nothing says lovin' like some lead in the oven

wilddog45
12-19-2008, 11:03 PM
But if I heat treat my bullets in the family oven is there a chance that it will fill the oven with lead contamination which might effect the biscuits or whatever is baked the next time? Smelting produces noxious fumes for sure but are they safe after they are poured? Or are there other options. :confused:

docone31
12-19-2008, 11:22 PM
I would be reluctant to bake in the oven after heat treating untill it had sit for a couple of days, and then Easy Offed.
Perhaps there is no issue, but, if there is, a good cleaning would defintely be in order.
The only times I have had no residue with oven treatments are when I go above 1600* at some point.
I water quench, so I have not considered heat treating them
A definate interesting point to debate.

jhalcott
12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
First decide WHY you NEED to heat treat those bullets. MOST uses do NOT require a super hard bullet. Big BAD beasties MIGHT, but paper and targets up to large deer don't. If the bullet isn't right for the bore it will be hard to remove the leading. heat treating can be done in the kitchen oven as temps will not get high enough to cause lead vaporization. The better half MAY not like it. A small electric oven in the casting room will do as well.

jcwit
12-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Why take the chance. Sickness is not a good thing and death is forever. How about a toaster oven picked upfrom Good Will.

wilddog45
12-19-2008, 11:38 PM
I currently water quench and was considering casting for a 270 or my (gulp) 300 mag but dont know if I could load it down or harden the boolit up. I have not bought any molds yet for my 270 but have a Lyman 311041 that I MIGHT try in the 300 mag. Will it work or is it worth trying on any high velocity caliber. I was just wondering how many of yall oven harden without making the wife mad.

docone31
12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
If you want high velocity, and I get it with my loads, learn how to paper patch.
I tried with castings, and I gave up. Crappy accuracy, leading.
I tried paper patching and I am real pleased with the results.
I am pushing .308, and .303 British at full tilt. Getting better accuracy than jacketeds.
My O3-A3 likes paper also.
It is simpler than it would seem.

azrednek
12-20-2008, 12:05 AM
learn how to paper patch.

I've been considering it. Can you make any suggestions as to where or how some body might learn the technique?? THX!!

AZ-Stew
12-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Even a NEW toaster oven can be had from Wally-World for about $30! No need to chance contaminating the family cook stove.

Regards,

Stew

docone31
12-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I sure can!!
Get yourself some Meade Traceing Paper from WalMart, and some lined notebook paper. Get a cigarette rolling machine, and a paper cutter.
Slug your bores, and c'mon over to the paper patching section here.
I found it so daggoned easy, I wondered why I never tried it before.
I wasted a lot of powder, castings, time, not slugging the bore. I do not know why I did not do it.
You need to know bore diameter, and groove diameter. This is important. Without it, you might just give up unless you are real lucky.
There is a gentleman here, who patches 25-06 with good results. That stopped me short, I had thought .308 was the bottom caliber.
It is really so daggoned simple it is funny. It really is.
With the bigger calibers you will need a rolling board. With the calibers you indicated, you are in cigarette roller country.
I am loading full tilt with my .303, and .30cals. Both calibers perform better patched than jacketed.

DLCTEX
12-20-2008, 12:30 AM
There will be no fumes (oxides) produced at the low temps of oven heat treating. I would have no fear of eating food from the oven, but would not want to eat from the container the boolits were heated in. Just to be on the safe side you could wipe the inside of the oven down with a damp cloth after heat treating. If soap and water will remove lead from your hands, it certainly will clean it off the hard surface of the oven.

MT Gianni
12-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I believe there is a much greater danger from eating in a foreign restaurant with a lead glazed ceramic pot than quenching oven treated.

Bill*
12-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Actually, I believe there is a much greater danger eating in a foreign restaurant anytime:mrgreen: (but then again, you may not have worked in Brooklyn kitchens in the late 60"s). hehehe.....Bill
Apologies to MT Gianni for heisting his thoughts