PDA

View Full Version : 4 Cavity Hensley & Gibbs #51 on Ebay

Texasflyboy
12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
As an FYI for those members who may be bidding on Auction #140288828293, a 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs #51, the sprue plate is a replacement.

It's easy to miss on the photo, but the difference between what is depicted in the photo and an original sprue plate is pretty obvious.

A replacement can be had from Ballisticast, but bidders may want to factor that into their final bid.

~Cheers~

Tom in VA

jcw1970
12-19-2008, 04:15 PM
how much does that degrade the value of the mold?

Texasflyboy
12-19-2008, 05:29 PM
how much does that degrade the value of the mold?

In my opinion, from zero if the replacement plate works as well as the original up to the cost of a replacement sprue plate from Ballisticast (About $30 IIRC).

wilddog45
12-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone want to make one more bid ? LOL!!!

mikenbarb
12-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Im high bidder on the 2 cavity #41 mold.

wilddog45
12-20-2008, 12:10 AM
In my opinion, from zero if the replacement plate works as well as the original up to the cost of a replacement sprue plate from Ballisticast (About $30 IIRC).

Well it looks like I won my Phil Sharp design example by 1 penny but if the sprue plate does not work, is the ballisti-cast an exact reproduction? Looks like they are $27 + shipping on website. I hope it does work because I got it to shoot more than a collector piece.:Fire:

wilddog45
12-20-2008, 01:02 AM
As an FYI for those members who may be bidding on Auction #140288828293, a 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs #51, the sprue plate is a replacement.

It's easy to miss on the photo, but the difference between what is depicted in the photo and an original sprue plate is pretty obvious.

A replacement can be had from Ballisticast, but bidders may want to factor that into their final bid.

~Cheers~

Tom in VA

After further investigation it seems that H&G DID offer an individual hole sprue cutter without the trough http://hgmould.gunloads.com/HGcatalogs/HG_Catalog_1994.pdf for $40 for the 4 boolit mold :-D

Texasflyboy
12-20-2008, 10:39 AM
After further investigation it seems that H&G DID offer an individual hole sprue cutter without the trough http://hgmould.gunloads.com/HGcatalogs/HG_Catalog_1994.pdf for $40 for the 4 boolit mold :-D

Yes, they did. I've seen exactly one over the years. It's exactly the same size and shape at the one with the trough except the trough is missing.

The one on the auction isn't a close match at all, which is why I posted the notice.

When you get it I would love to see a better photo and report on how it works.

wilddog45
12-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I will post a picture when I get it because I only have one other H&G mold and it has the trough sprue plate and I have no Idea what the troughless one looks like.

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone want to make one more bid ? LOL!!!

That was me bidding on that mould! I am glad you got it. I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for the mould. I can't say it was a bad deal for you, I just didn't want to go that high.....I was looking for a plain based 38 bullet and I thought that was the one.
If you want to talk trade, I have some 4 cavity H&G Moulds brand new never used never touched in the box still in the zip lock bag perfect condition complete with rust paper between the halves (enough of a sales pitch?) that I might trade with you if you are interested. I also have some 4 cavity H&G moulds in great shape for trading material....if you are interested.
Good catch.
Donald in NH

wilddog45
12-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I got it for less than a ballisticast would cost but will give a report when I receive it to see if it was a deal or not. I just wanted a Sharpe solid to load in my .357 or do a Keith load in .38. I have an old S&W Highway Patrolman N frame I load for. It has the short cylinder. I also have the Lyman 358477 and liked the square lube grooves of the H&G mold and wanted to see if there was a difference. All it has to do is cut the sprue off square and im happy.The auction also said it was in exellent condition so I hope the cavities are as advertised.

Texasflyboy
12-20-2008, 04:08 PM
The auction also said it was in exellent condition so I hope the cavities are as advertised.

You bring up an excellent point I hope everyone here takes heed of. Bidding on a mould auction without a nice close-up of the cavities is pure gambling.

If I bid, its only after the seller posts a photo that allows me to see the cavities. I can't count the number of times I've asked for close-up photos and discovered an "improvement" in one or more cavities.

There are a lot of Hensley & Gibbs moulds out there. There are also a lot of drill presses and dremel tools. Sometimes they meet and its always a disaster.

Tom

wilddog45
12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
After looking at the mold picture and one of my other molds the sprue cutter in the picture looks wider than mine. If it is an original it may be worth more but texasflyboy is probably right in it being a replacement but I will have to wait till I receive it to make the final call. I just hope it works.

wilddog45
12-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Received the mold today and it was made in San Diego. The cavities are in excellent condition and the mold was well maintained. BUT, the sprue plate and the hold down screw IS a replacement as Texasflyboy stated and it looks like it was made by a competent machinist and should work fine.

wilddog45
12-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Couldn't help myself but I called ballisticast today after cleaning the mold up and it looked so good that I decided to purchase a new sprue plate for $20 (even though the replacement would have worked) because I wanted an original look. How anal is that?

Texasflyboy
12-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Couldn't help myself but I called ballisticast today after cleaning the mold up and it looked so good that I decided to purchase a new sprue plate for $20 (even though the replacement would have worked) because I wanted an original look. How anal is that?

Not anal at all. I may have a biased opinion, but what drew you to Hensley & Gibbs moulds is the legendary quality. Precision tools should always be treated like...precision tools. Thanks for fixing this mould up and preserving it for another generation.

The supply of Hensley & Gibbs moulds is fixed and can only decrease. I'm treating mine like a steward....one day I hope to pass them on to someone who appreciates using fine tools like I did.

Tom in VA

mikenbarb
12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
What is the reason for the trough in the spru plate? I just got my #50 and wondering why their like that but I can only guess that its for keeping the lead flowing as you go so you dont have to stop pouring???

wilddog45
12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
I imagine for easier ladle pouring

EDK
12-24-2008, 01:51 AM
What is the reason for the trough in the spru plate? I just got my #50 and wondering why their like that but I can only guess that its for keeping the lead flowing as you go so you dont have to stop pouring???

Hensley & Gibbs also made a nice ladle when they made my six cavity #68 mould back in the late 70s. Get the mold pre-heated right and get pouring with ladle and watch the boolits pile up. I always wondered why LEE, LYMAN, etc didn't cut a trough in the multi cavity moulds...I ended up doing a rough job with a die grinder a long time ago.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Texasflyboy
12-25-2008, 12:09 AM

That's it. When you're using a bottom pour pot at hip (or eye level like I use) you can really move a lot of moulds quickly under the spout and get nice neat clean sprues when you whack them off.