PDA

View Full Version : New members, Again!

waksupi
12-31-2005, 01:04 AM
Goshgollywow, there sure is a lot more new people showing up! I'd like to extend my welcome to all the new folks, and urge you to be active on the board, wheter it be questions, or answers. Remember, what may be old hat to you, could be a revelation to the rest of us! And happy new year!

Gunload Master
12-31-2005, 01:22 AM
I would also like to welcome all new members to the board. Also like to put in that if you need any help with using this website or any features of Gun Loads just send me a private message or use the "Contact Us" button on the bottom of the forum to get a hold of me.

And have a great New Year!

My new years resolution is to stop procrastination............maybe..

Johnch
12-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes , Hello to all you new guys and gals ! [smilie=s:

I was a new person not that long ago .

They ( we ) may growl once in a while , but no one has been bitten in the time I have been here . [smilie=l:

Johnch

Buckshot
12-31-2005, 01:57 AM
..............I too would like to add my welcome to all. You don't have to wait until you have a question to post a post. We also like to hear about what you shoot, where you shoot, what you shoot at, where you do your casting or reloading, how you got into it, your day at the range & etc.

Eventually we'll need to know stuff like what beer you like and your feelings on flush toilets and do they belong inside the house, do you drive a big truck or a little one and your feelings about sheep. Stuff like that.

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
12-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Buck- How many times I gotta tell you- ixnay on the sheepay till we getay themay hookeday!

Welcome to all you noobies and Happy New Years to ya too!

Frank46
12-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Hey, you forgot about the cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Frank

KS1911
12-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey, you forgot about the cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Frank

With or without BBQ sauce?

drinks
12-31-2005, 05:33 PM
With or without BBQ sauce?
In Mexico, most of them wind up in "Chicken Enchiladas".
In France, they are affectionately known as "Lapin de la Rue"[ rabbits of the street], so sorta watchout in Mexico and France.

Scrounger
12-31-2005, 06:40 PM
In Mexico, most of them wind up in "Chicken Enchiladas".
In France, they are affectionately known as "Lapin de la Rue"[ rabbits of the street], so sorta watchout in Mexico and France.

so sorta watchout in Mexico and France And San Angelo, Texas!!!!

wills
12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
..............I too would like to add my welcome to all. You don't have to wait until you have a question to post a post. We also like to hear about what you shoot, where you shoot, what you shoot at, where you do your casting or reloading, how you got into it, your day at the range & etc.

Eventually we'll need to know stuff like what beer you like and your feelings on flush toilets and do they belong inside the house, do you drive a big truck or a little one and your feelings about sheep. Stuff like that.

..............Buckshot
That’s right, y’all don’t be reticent. How about if we ask everyone who hasn’t said anything yet to sound off?

NVcurmudgeon
01-01-2006, 01:16 AM

..............Buckshot

Buckshot, Speaking of flush toilets, there is an old story passed down through my mother's side of the family, from a small town in Southern Indiana. One of our female ancestors was offered complete indoor plumbing by her son who had prospered in the big city. Her reaction was that excrement was far too nasty to ever be in her house, and she would continue to use the privvie, thank you very much!

Welcome to all new members. You have no idea of what you are in for!

Frank46
01-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Either way!!!!!!!!!!!!!. But the roadkill ones make good sail cats. Just grab em by the tail and sling em like a frisbee. Frank

Buckshot
01-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Buckshot, Speaking of flush toilets, there is an old story passed down through my mother's side of the family, from a small town in Southern Indiana. One of our female ancestors was offered complete indoor plumbing by her son who had prospered in the big city. Her reaction was that excrement was far too nasty to ever be in her house, and she would continue to use the privvie, thank you very much!

Welcome to all new members. You have no idea of what you are in for!

I think my dad kind of joined the Navy in 1946 to kind of get off the farm. He relates that during one leave he went back to the farm. He hired a local handyman to build the foundation for a bathroom he was going to add to the farmhouse. He then built on the bathroom and plumbed it. When he was still a kid they had built a tank up on a platform. They used a gas engine to pump water from the well up into the tank once a week or so, so they had running water in the kitchen.

I never did ask where they'd gotten the comode or what they had maybe cobbeled together to use for one. I did ask if he'd dug a septic tank. He said no. He said at that time locomotive boiler flue pipes were very common around and cheap to buy, so he'd just run the discharge to a closeby rice field drainage ditch. Ah, country living! 8)

..................Buckshot

JohnH
01-01-2006, 10:20 AM
When we were building our house, we used outhouses (privys for those who are uncomfortable with plain English) Took two years to get indoor plumin'. We actually had a woman show up with her daughter, the daughter wouldn't use our down to earth excrement erradication method. She said it stank. I asked her if she holds her nose when she farts.......

Only thing I don't like about my computer is that I can't read it on the john. Whihc brings up another subject, What's your favorite reading on the 'mode reading material. There's usually at least one gun rag and a two day old newspaper, but my wife wants to get a few of the Dick and Jane readers like we had in grammer school.

Welcome to Cast Boolits :)

Rick N Bama
01-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Ah, the "good old days"! We used an outhouse until I was 15 years old. Our old 'privy' is still standing, although it has a different purpose than when I was a kid.

Rick

waksupi
01-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I have just returned from my morning walk to the outhouse. Especially hazardous today, as we had a bit of an ice storm last night. Still preferable to pooping in the same building, that you are eating in.
A piece of lore to keep in mind this time of year, and a courtesy to observe when visiting those with outhouses.
In the summer, put the seat down when finished, to control any smell, should the place not be well tended with ashes or lime. This also cuts down on insects.
In the winter, always leave the seat up when done. Otherwise, moisture rising from the pit, will make a frost covering on the seat, and the next user has a bit of discomfort until it melts.
Regardless of where you go, clean up after yourself. What's with the sicko's who use public toilets, and don't flush?

blackthorn
01-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Welcome to all new members. This is a great board!!
I grew-up in Manitoba, Canada and we didn't have power untill 1948. We got a phone in 1953 or 1954 and we never did get indoor plumbing. My folks left the farm around 1971 0r 1972 and moved to town when dad lost his eyesight and could not haul water from the well anymore.
I have a summer cabin in the BC interior that I built in 1964. We still have an out house there!! In about 1980 I nailed a piece of styrofoam to the seat. I took my friend, who was well into his 70's up there to fish and he came back in from his morning constitutional and said that if the foam seat was my idea I should get a nobel prize! Works great. Happy new year.

BruceB
01-01-2006, 12:29 PM
A very good friend and his wife and son set up housekeeping right on the shore of Kluane Lake in the Yukon some years back. Kluane, which is skirted by the Alaska Highway, is a huge lake and surrounded by fantastic mountains.

The scenery is SO GORGEOUS that they took the door off the outhouse so that users of same could steep themselves in some of Nature's greatest beauty while attending to one of the more-basic chores of human existence.

Being that it is the Yukon, after all, and winter temps often dipped into the minus-50s or worse, they just kept the toilet seat and the paper in the house by the back door, and if one worked quickly enough he could get his nether parts parked on the seat well before the facility got anywhere near ambient temperature.

The folks were very conscious of the history of the area and the peculiar drama attached to it, and often would turn out the lanterns at bedtime and drift off to sleep with Orson Welles' wonderful voice on the tape player, reciting Robert Service's "The Spell of the Yukon" or similar Service poetry. It was a NEAT place to visit.

The little boy I visited there in those days is now a battle-hardened Special Forces staff sergeant in Iraq, and is about to start an officer-training regime to become a captain (I believe). He was also involved in the first Gulf War. Makes me feel pretty old.

waksupi
01-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Here's a song I sing around the campfires, that is somewhat appropriate for the subject.

The Intergalactic Laxative
Words & Music by: Donovan Leitch - 1973
Performed by: Donovan
Album: Cosmic Wheels - 1973

I was impressed like everyone,
When man began to fly,
Out of earthly regions,
To planets in the sky.
With total media coverage,
We watched the heros land,
As ceremoniously
They disturbed the cosmic sand.

In awe with admiration,
We listened to the talk.
Such pride felt they,
Such joy to be
Upon the moon to walk.
My romantic vision shattered,
When it was explained to me,
Spacemen wear old diapers
In which they **** and pee.

Oh, the intergalactic laxative,
Will get you from here to there.
Relieve you and believe me,
Without a worry or care.

If ****ting is your problem,
When you're out there in the stars,
Oh, the intergalactic laxative
Will get you from here to Mars.

They don't partake like you and I,
Of beefy burger mush.
Their food is specially prepared
To dissolve into slush.
Absorbed by multi-fibers
In the super diaper suit,
Otherwise the slush would trickle
Down inside the boot.

Without a worry or care.
If ****ting is your problem

You may well ask now what becomes
Of liquid they consume.
A pipe is led from penis head
To a unit in the room.
The water is recirculated,
Filtered for re-use.
In case of anti-gravity -
Pee gets on the loose.

Without a worry or care.

Wherever man has conquered,
On the quest for frontiers new,
(Da da da da)
I'm glad that he's always had to do
The number one and two.
It makes it all so ordinary,
Just like you and me,
To know the greatest heroes,
They had to **** and pee.

The intergalactic laxative
Will get you from here to there,
For cosmic constipation
There's none that can compare.
The intergalactic laxative,
The intergalactic laxative,

JohnH
01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
:0 :0 :0 ROFLMAO HAHAHAHAHAHA that is onn of the funniest damn things I've ever read!!!!! Friend of ours still has an outhouse, They're in trouble now :)

NVcurmudgeon
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
One of the favorite camping and plinking weekend spots visited at least once a year by Nevada Duke, various other friends and me has an out facility without the house a short distance up a beautiful canyon from the campsite. This camper's paradise has the usual box built over a hole, with a genuine toilet seat. A handy bag of lime keeps the air fresh. No reading material is needed because the view is spectacular. For entertainment, each occupant of this al fresco seat of ease takes a pistol with him to shoot at passing crows. We all look forward to the magical day when somebody actually hits one!

StanDahl
01-03-2006, 07:42 PM
In the summer of '86, I went camping and canoeing in the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota. The crapper was set up for maximum enjoyment of the surroundings, minimal privacy, and minimal hauling, because there were no roads or direct water links to this lake, so portaging was required to get there. No one spent much time on it and you didn't pull your pants down very far, because every minute you spent there increased your exposure to the mosquitos exponentially. BYOTP, some of those leaves might leave a rash. There were some huge Northern Pike in those lakes, my uncle got one that was 48". Stan

You may not be able to tell from the photo, but you don't walk in, you just sit down on it.

lovedogs
02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm new here and it's real obvious that I'm gonna need those tall boots that I use for special occasions, like wading in corrals and such. But I know I'll survive. Us gun-totin', Hoppe's-smellin' folks are the best on Earth! Can I get an "Amen"?

I'll answer to lovedogs or "Walks With Dog", whichever suits your fancy.

Greg
02-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Ah, the "good old days"! We used an outhouse until I was 15 years old. Our old 'privy' is still standing, although it has a different purpose than when I was a kid.

Rick

What in the world do you do with a second hand ****ter...uh privy?

waksupi
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
What in the world do you do with a second hand ****ter...uh privy?

Well, I still have an outhouse, as do many others in this area. The proper terminology for any outside facility, is a "hooter". Sometimes also improperly applied to inside toilets.

I don't know about you guys, who poop in the same building you are eating in. Seems kinda unsanitary.

Lee
02-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Only now just read the thread. Frank46, haven't heard the term "sail cats" in years and years. You wouldn't happen to be from western PA, would you??? Or is that descriptive term more widespread than I'm aware of???..................Lee ;-)

fourarmed
02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Friend of mine has a place on a NM mesa. The facilities consist of a sort of corral to block view of the casa, a box over a hole, and a shovel to push in a little sand and to dig the next hole. On day I was watching him dig a new hole. He stopped, withdrew the shovel, and stared down the hole, shaking his head. I asked what he saw down there. He grinned, and in the immortal words of Howard Carter when he first peered into the tomb of Tutankhamen, said "Wonderful Things."

Ed Barrett
02-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I lived on my farm until I was 12. We had an 18 volt windmill and a 6x10 battery shed. When the batteries were charged up and the wind was blowing pretty good we would pump water up to the tank in the attic and we had running water to the kitchen. When the wind didn't blow well for a while I got to haul water, I used to pray for windy days. God is getting back at me now by giving me windy days at the range. We had a wringer washing machine that ran on DC and electric lights in the house, we sort of had a dimmer system too before they became popular other places, the longer you kept the lights on the dimmer it got. We finally couldn't get parts for the washing machine so we had the house wired and got REA electricity. I'll always remember my grandmother saying "Now you are going to have to pay 50 cents a month for the rest of your life" If she could see some of my utility bills now she would turn over a couple times in her grave. Never did get indoor plumbing though.