PDA

View Full Version : Im taking the plunge, Lyman or RCBS??

mikenbarb
12-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I cant seem to find a good used bottom pour so it looks like I gotta take the plunge and buy a new one next month and would like your opinions of what brand has what advantages over the others. Im leaning towards the Lyman MAG20 but also considering the RCBS. I currently own a Potter and a real old Lee tin soldier bottom pours but their getting old and its about time to put them on the shelf with my collection of old stuff. I just hate buying something new because im afraid of having problems with it and going thru the warranty process. Thanks in advance.

Tom Herman
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Mike,

I use the RCBS Pro-Melt and couldn't be happier with it. Midway had a sale at the time, and I bought it well over $100 less than anyone else was offering it then.
I haven't had any problems with it. Once in a while, gunk will clog the nozzle, but I just run a bent paper clip up into it, and it's cleared.
I use the Frankfort Arsenal flux, which leaves an hygroscopic alkaline film on everything it touches. After it cools down, I go over the outside surfaces with a damp sponge, and it's clean, preserved, and ready for the next casting session.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

madcaster
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
The RCBS Lifetime Warranty will make it worthwhile if you ever have any problems with the furnace!

beagle
12-19-2008, 02:18 PM
RCBS Promelt hands down. Lifetime warranty. Very seldom drips.

I like them so much I bought two and sold my Lyman./beagle

Uncle R.
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I use an RCBS Pro-Melt - had it for over 20 years. I'm happy - it drips a little but I can live with it. I LOVE the thermostat control - makes my casting repeatable from session to session regardless of ambient temperature. I cast in an unheated garage and it may be 95 degrees or zero while I'm working. My RCBS has melted a truckload of alloy and just keeps chugging along without any breakdown. I have a buddy with a MAG-20 used for many years too and it works fine for him except when he tries to cast pure lead it won't get quite hot enough to give him good flow and fillout.
I vote RCBS.
Uncle R.

94Doug
12-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I also have the Pro Melt and love it. You might try calling RCBS, I hear they sometimes have seconds, you could score a deal!

jcw1970
12-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm going to be different and vote for the Mag 20. I got a used one and it works like a dream. Never had a RCBS though.

Calamity Jake
12-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I've had 2 Mag 20's for over 20 years, I sent one back some 12 years ago for a new thermastat Lyman fixed it no charge.

Go with what your wallet can afford.

Hardcast416taylor
12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
I favor the RCBS simply because I`ve had it since they came out and have had no problems. Here are the compareable prices from 4 suppliers that I deal with. Natchez Shooters Supply: RCBS: $334.91, Lyman: $247.65. Graf & Sons: RCBS: $303.19, Lyman: $253.99. Midway: RCBS: $238.99, Lyman: $238.99. Midsouth Shooters Supply: RCBS: $320.39, Lyman: $248.39. Just trying to help. :drinks: Robert

cajun shooter
12-20-2008, 07:55 AM
RCBS for my vote Mike. All you do is set the thermostat at the desired temp and after everything melts you cast away. No more chasing temps. When adding lead you might find that it takes a while for the nozzle to clear to pour. The thermocoupler is wired to the nozzle and if you watch the temp light, when it goes out ,it's ready.

shotman
12-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Well the RCBS and Lyman are good I can buy 4 Lees for what they cost . I have had the Lee 15 years It still does all I want.

BruceB
12-20-2008, 10:08 AM
My RCBS furnace has also been serving for at least 20 years.

Therefore, it was highly instrumental in creating the method I use for fast casting. The 3-pound ingots (cast in angle-iron moulds) line up nicely on top of the pot for pre-heating. With most normal-size bullets and moulds, I just add a hot ingot whenever the alloy level drops enough to accept the ingot. This means the pot stays full or very close to it, and I NEVER have to stop casting.

There's sufficent heat within the pot's contents to melt the new ingot almost instantly, and the melt temp drops only about 30 degrees or so from the 870* (maximum) setting that I use.

The Pro-Melt is capable of supporting production of over 1000 bullets per hour when things are going right. It's a fine piece of work, and it's worth what it costs.

jnovotny
12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm with shotman I know that people put down lee but the last lee pot i had lasted almost 20 years, just bought a new one last month. Won't loan this one out. I think that may have been the demise of the last one.

carpetman
12-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm big fan of RCBS,but I don't have an RCBS pot---I don't particularly like Lee stuff but I do like my Lee pot. Could be I'm wrong,but I cant see the more expensive RCBS being a better buy.

mikenbarb
12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I am also going to add that I highly support American made products and that is a big factor when I buy something but lots of things cant even be bought that are American made and their ONLY made in China. Are the Lyman and RCBS American made furnaces or are they imports like most of the stuff we see today? Im sure some of the parts are made in China but what about the whole unit. I found an old Lyman bottom pour that needs an element but im still going to buy a new one because I need 2 to keep it flowing.

dromia
12-21-2008, 04:12 AM
I can recommend the RCBS Pro Melt because thats what I use and find it excellent. I bought it after years of struggling with Lee pots and never looked back.

The Lee pots , 17LBers, have had the bottom pour gubbins removed, the spouts blocked up and they now serve well for dipping. I gave away the 10LBers to new casters to help them get started.

I fancy a Lyman as well, as I know people who use them and speak well of them. So I'm on the lookout for a second hand one or new even if the exchange rate ever improves again.

NoDakJak
12-21-2008, 07:17 AM
I have four dead Lee pots laying around taking up room in the shop. My ancient Lyman pot is currently awaiting repair and I finally broke down and bought a new RCBS pot last spring. Never been so happy in my life. I have put several hundred pounds of lead through it during the last several months with nary a problem. Neil

Jbar4Ranch
12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
RCBS Pro Melt. I've used two of them for several years with no complaints.

klw
12-23-2008, 12:26 AM
RCBS will repair a broken furnace. Didn't know that until recently but one of my RCBS furnaces finally broke after a couple decades of hard use. They fixed it. Not all that expensive.

Lyman does not offer this service. Also, at least within my experience, Lyman furnaces don't last all that long.

LqChrome
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Box em up NoDakJak and sent them to me, I got lots a junk room lol

anachronism
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Mine a 15 year old Lyman. It lost a heating element early on, which was replaced under warranty, and has been trouble free ever since. I won't bad mouth RCBS, but you might double-check the country of origin, just to be safe. I hope they're still being made in the U.S., but not everything RCBS makes is so blessed.

Lloyd Smale
12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
I own 3 lymans but the next pot will be a rcbs or better yet maybe a magma

mikenbarb
12-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Thats my biggest concern anachronism, That their made in the good ol' USA. Believe it or not I would rather spend 50 bucks more knowing it was made with American labor and not some foreign worker making it for 2 bucks an hour. I like to see the American flag on what I buy and wish everything was still made here. It looks like im going with the RCBS Pro-Melt when I can get the funds for it but im going to rework an old Lyman 61 to keep me going for a while till I can convince the wife I need another reloading toy.LOL. Thats the hard part but what she dont know wont hurt her either.:-D

madcaster
12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
And for $100 we WON'T say anything!!![smilie=1::twisted::bigsmyl2:
Payable in American dollars of course!

mtgrs737
12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
RCBS Pro Melt, has no equal. Very pleased with mine.