PDA

View Full Version : Grandma and the Daisy Red Ryder

beagle
01-12-2021, 11:34 AM
Cold here in KY and time for another story.
When I was young, my mom was a school teacher and dad was driving a truck. Being not quite old enough for school I stayed with my grandmother during the day. She was a farm raised woman and would try about anything. She kept a bunch or chickens and a hawk started picking off one now and then. She wasn't taking it lying down. One day mom came in from school and grandma's hand was all bruised up and she wasn't talking. Mom finally picked the story out of her. She saw a hawk after her chickens and saw my Daisy on the back porch and grabbed it. Managed to cock it although I'd never seen her ever pick up a gun. She pulled down on the hawk and forgot to fully close the lever and you can guess the rest. Yep! The lever slammed shut when she shot and got her fingers pretty good.
It was a big story in the family for years after about grandma shooting at the hawk with the BB gun. My dad never would laugh but I know he grinned a lot when it was mentioned./beagle

Kylongrifle32
01-14-2021, 08:48 AM
I remember as a youngster going to visit my grandparents down in McQueary county my grandfather could barley walk or see but the mere mention of a chicken hawk or stray cat would have him sitting on the porch with an old stevens 22 for hours. Thanks for sharing that story brings back good memories of the old times.

jeepyj
01-15-2021, 10:58 PM
What a cool story!

mazo kid
03-03-2021, 12:51 PM
I shot my Red Rider BB gun with the lever down.....once!