PDA

View Full Version : First Shot Cast Rifle Boolits

Boondocker
12-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Happy New Years Everyone

Wow this rifle cast is a blast. Only got 8 shots in before I got stupid a banged my scope on the bench to find out loose mount screws. Well home now ,cleaned very little leading but boy I hate that Unique soot. Now I know why I quit shooting it in my pistols. I am going in 1 grain increments up to 15 to shoot out to a 100 yds. :bigsmyl2: Well I tried to upload a jpg no luck. Boon

( Shot 10.0 and 11.0 grains so far)

drinks
12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
In my experience, Universal is cleaner than Unique.
I mostly use Herco for light, lower speed rifle loads.
Works good in medium pistol loads too.

Buckshot
12-31-2005, 05:32 AM
...............So what rifle and caliber? Which cast boolit? Crimped? Seated to engrave or jump. What was the charges you shot?

There should have been no leading at all. I've used 10-12grs Unique in my M77 Ruger and 03-A1, no problem. One of our weekly ahooters shoots an 03-A3 with 12.0 grs Unique and a 160 gr Leadheads and does a fine job.

....................Buckshot

Boondocker
01-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Sorry about that. Had it on the target I was trying to post. gotta work on that. They are the 210 HBC gas checked with Hornady and Lyman Lube. I tried 10.0 and 11.0 gr Unique as I was given 4 lbs so I am going to use that up first but not in my pistols. Set back .0004 off the lands for a little jump. Still experimenting here. I am still learning on these cast rifle and having fun with it. Happy New Year Boon :lovebooli

1Shirt
01-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Boondocker, If you got leading with only 8 rounds, you probably were shooting undersized boolits particularly since they were gas checked. Oversized bullets have always been to key for me to eliminate leading, and that often includes shooting as cast w/out sizing. As to unique, have never had a problem with the new stuff. 20 or so years ago it was a bit sooty, but find the new stuff no more dirty than 2400, or 4759. There is a wealth of info on this web, and suggest that you spend the time to let your fingers do the walking on the keyboard regarding shooting cast rifle shooing. Also highly recommend that you join the Cast Boolit Association. There is great info regarding loads/data/general info etc. Lastly, would also recommend that if you don't have one, get a Lyman Reloading Manual, and read and reread the entire sections on cast boolits. Good luck.
1Shirt :coffee: