PDA

View Full Version : Hollow pointing cast Boolits

sniper
12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
I recently read an article regarding hollow pointing in some magazine, and if I recall correctly, the fellow used some sort of hollow pointer (the Forster , maybe?) then he pushed a properly sized piece of lead shot into the cavity, with a firm fit. He said the combination produced good expansion.

I have also read about one fellow that had off-center problems with the Forster h.p. tools.

Has anyone had experience with hollow pointing with the Forster tools, and how did it work? Was the fellow's off-center problem unusual?

If I hollow pointed my .357 maggie bullets about 1/8" diameter, 1/4-3/16" deep, no shot in the cavity, how well would it work?

Not cast boolits, but do you think the EABCo hollow pointer would do well with the little teeny .22 long rifle ammo bullets? Has anybody tried it? Did it seem to increase accuracy or effectiveness on game?

Thanks, guys.

Alchemist
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I think it would be more efficient time-wise to just cast the hollow point boolits you want. Buckshot can hollow point a mould for you....and his work is EXCELLENT! http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/typemetal/100_0050.jpg

Regarding .22 LR ammo.....why not just buy the hollow points? There is little difference in price, and you could spend the time shootin'.....

Just my two cents worth.

Wayne Smith
12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Paco Kelly sells .22 sizing dies with a HP pin and a flat point pin. He has them is .221, .222, 223, and .224. Set of two brass dies, each one two sizes. They are nice. Check out his web site. Just search for Paco Kelly.

Shuz
12-18-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a Forster Hollow point device for the .44 mag. The problem I had was that the drill "blinds up" with lead and tends to hang up in the collar that orients the loaded round to the base of the tool. I have found it much easier to cast hollow point boolits than try and use the Forester device.

DLCTEX
12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
I will be testing a hollowpointing tool made by member TC66 in the near future and will post the results. The one I'm testing will be in 45 cal. DALE

dale2242
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
A freind made me a hollow pointer for my Wilson trimmer. I haven`t used it yet. I`ll give it a try and report.---dale