PDA

View Full Version : 300yd*2MOA .308 load, the easy way

cbrant_2000
12-18-2008, 10:02 AM
On the 300 yard line, shooting a 180gr (lee mold) gas checked boolit (wheel weights) over 36gr of varget, in a full length sized mixed head stamp NATO surplus case. I put a 6 inch group (2 MOA) centered right on top of the bull. I'm also using Lee's tumble lube, Alox.

I did not sort the boolits by weight, nor did I weight the powder (it was thrown with a lee thrower) and that case were a ratty collection of old surplus cases.

I will put some more work in it, and see if I can make it tighter. But as an newbie caster, I'm very happy. I think the "casting thing" is very intimidating for lots of new people, because there seems to be so much rocket science involved. And to ring the last little bit of accuracy out, I have no doubt, but to get a decent load that is good for plinking, it's really not that hard.

Ben
12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Now........can you shoot that same group 5 times in a row, under the same conditions above ?

We all get a real nice group sometimes with a particular load, question is ........" Is it repeatable " ?

In your case it may or may not be ? You need to work up more of the same loads and see if it is repeatable. Let us know the results.

Welcome to the forum and that is definitely some good shooting !

Ben

rhbrink
12-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Amen Ben, it's the repeatable thing that gets me!

big boar
12-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Still, 6" at 300 is VERY good for cast. We all enjoy getting a group like that once in a while, it's encouraging. Can't remember where I heard it but, "Accuracy isn't what you did once, it's what you can do on demand". Good shooting.

12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd be tickled with a group like that. Way to go.

HABCAN
12-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the informative post which will be useful and encouraging for new casters! I hope to see more such here. Good shooting!

Larry Gibson
12-18-2008, 01:18 PM
cbrant 2000

That is indeed a nice 'group". Ben is correct and not trying to detract from that but we all do get lucky groups (random dispersion) and the more you shoot the more you get. A 2 moa group at 300 yards is very good indeed and hopefully you can repeat it. A few questions if you don't mind as I am interested in the finer details of such. If you can answer fine if not that's ok, thanks.

What rifle/scope?
What twist?
How many shots in the group?
Was the barrel clean before the group?
Were other groups of this load fired at 300 yards and if so what were their size?
What size group does that load shoot at 100 yards?
Velocity/SD/ES?
Alloy?
Sizing?
Lube?
Make of GC used?
OAL of cartridge?
Case?
Primer?
A filler used?

Thanks again for any additional answers.

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
12-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the clan CBrant! Not sure if that's "C Brant" or "CB rant" but welcome anyways. Sounds like you did well. Keep up the good work, it's encouraging to the rest of us.

mooman76
12-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Good deal cbrant 2000. New caster does good and with a rifle no less. It's difficult enough starting into casting and a rifle is even harder. Great job!

mike in co
12-21-2008, 12:51 PM
the small 100 yd groups (sub moa) shot at the cast boolit meet in winnymucka a few yrs back,were done with 174 gr spire point,gas checked, lla, over 20 some grains of varget...in a 308...

mike in co

Ernest
12-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Wowii Zowwi. Keep up th good work!!!!!

Hipshot
12-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Ben,
GO AHEAD----BUST HIS BUBBLE ![smilie=1:

Hipshot