PDA

View Full Version : Source for Lightweight .470-Caliber Bullets?

Russ
12-18-2008, 04:15 AM
I saw the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" before I left for my second deployment to Iraq. While I was gone, I purchased a Root rifle like in the movie.

The chambers and bore were horribly mismatched and I had my gunsmith open up the chambers to .470" (the bore, groove to groove, measures .4695"). What I'm going to try, when it warms up, are the .480" round balls from Hornady. However, what I'd like, if anyone knows of someone supplying them, are cast-lead bullets (very soft) that are .470" in diameter and weigh somewhere around 265 or 275 grains. Any heavier and I'll be eating into space for black powder or Triple Seven.

As I said, after the scope gets mounted this week or next, and it warms up a bit, I'll see how it does with the balls... it "should" swage them right down into nice little bullets (my gunsmith opened an 11-degree forcing cone at the breech end of the barrel to facilitate this), but I'm just wondering about ready-made bullets. I've found moulds, but they're all for heavier bullets. This seemed like the right place to ask so, if anyone has any knowledge of such supplies, I'd be much obliged for the information.

Thanks, folks.

Russ :coffeecom

dubber123
12-18-2008, 04:28 AM
If you haven't tried yet, you may be able to design your own on Mountain Moulds site. About the cheapest place going to get an oddball mould cut. The design program is pretty self explanatory. Good luck!

Russ
12-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks, Dubber123. I checked out his website, but he can't make them that big... .465-caliber was the biggest he could do.

Thanks a bunch, though.

Russ