PDA

View Full Version : wheel wt lead vs, mag ww lwaed

cowboyt
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Is mag wheel wt lead closer to pure as opposed to reg wheel wt lead????- I've found quite a bit of it in my last 4 buckets from my tire shop

docone31
12-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Most are pure lead.
They have to be flexible.

9.3X62AL
12-17-2008, 06:40 PM
If the "mag wheel" weights are of the stick-on/adhesive type, they can be almost pure lead. They are highly prized by muzzle-loader shooters, and I set all of mine aside for the front-stuffers or donor slugs for soft-pointing.

I have sworn off paper-patching as a dark art that attracts evil spirits, things that go BUMP in the night, bats, and crawly things. But the stick-on weights make great cores for that species of witchcraft. Just sayin'.

Seafarer12
12-17-2008, 10:25 PM
You have to watch out, I got a bucket of ww's and they had some stick on zinc weights. If they don't bend throw them out.

odoh
12-18-2008, 04:34 AM
How does one overcome the adhesive stickin' in the pot syndrome? It melts, won't burn or change form ~ just messy messy sticky mess! !

randyrat
12-18-2008, 06:57 AM
If you can't pinch/score them with a hand held wire cutter throw them in a seperate bucket. There has been a lot of (zink & steal) stick on WWs lately. Save them for when Zink goes back up in price again.

There also is a few guys making cannon balls out of zink.

Seafarer12
12-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I just wait till the lead melts and scoop out the double sided tape. It stinks and is messy. Thats why I don't really like fooling with ww's. I would much rather get some lead sheeting or something clean. Around here the price isn't much different and its a whole lot easier to deal with with a lot less waste.

odoh
12-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Skimming the top is simple enuff but it sticks to the sides of the potas well as ladle. I finally had to take a drill w/wire brush to clean it off. The resultant flying lead dust particles etc isn't ccondusive to safety.

Gohon
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Put the stick on weights in a jar, fill with paint thinner, kerosene, diesel fuel, or even gasoline. Wait about a half hour and pour out the liquid and spread the weights out onto something. The sticky backing along with the glue will literally fall off leaving a very clean weight. You can wash the weights off with soapy water if you want but I just let them air dry. Save what ever you used as a cleaner for the next batch.

odoh
12-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Gohon ~ Thanks

bbs70
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I recently bought a bunch of ww along with some other lead.
I did find several that wouldn't bend and set them aside just in case.
Now the question I have is.
What does zinc do to the ww if they get melted together.