PDA

View Full Version : New Pot?

Potsy
12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I think my old Lyman Pot is about to give up the ghost.

First, I don't own a thermometer, never needed one and as they cost about half as much as a new Lee bottom pour pot, I hate to buy one.

But for the last few casting sessions (or attempts at casting sessions) I've been plagued with wrinkles and inclusions.

The lead (wheelweights with about 4% 50/50 solder added) will melt in about 45 minutes, but I've been trying to cast with my lee 200 grain swc mold and my Ranch Dog 350 grain mold and I've been rejecting a WHOLE lot more bullets than I'm keeping. Futher, my bullets aren't frosted, my bullets are almost always frosted from casting a bit too hot. Tried turning up the heat from 8-1/2 to past 10, still, no change.

My pot is one I bought secondhand when I first started smelting and casting about 5 years ago and I promptly plugged it up melting wheelweights in it. I just bought a ladle and I've been dipping out of it ever since.

When you're used to a ladle, how hard is it to get used to a bottom pour? Also, besides the fact that they drip a little, does anyone have any real good/real bad opinions of the Lee 20lb bottom pour?
Thanks!!
Potsy

jcw1970
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I upgraded from my Lee drip o matic to a Lyman Mag 20 a few weeks ago and I love it. Spend the money and get another Lyman it'll be worth it in the long run.

Forester
12-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I have 2 Lee 20lb pots, one mounted over the other, so I never wait for a pot of metal to melt. Yeah they drip from time to time but a spin of the shaft stops that. I keep an ingot mould under each one to catch any drips and just throw it back in the pot.

I have ladle cast, and it works fine, but I would never choose it over bottom pour. More consistently clean alloy from bottom pour as well.

Pick up a Lee 20lb bottom pour and an RCBS thermometer. Taken care of they will last for years. Consistent temps (no more than 25degree swing) are the key for me to super consistent boolit weights.

cajun shooter
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Did the same as you for along time Forester. THe drips I lived with but the last two Lees I had were prone to huge temp swings. One moment the temp was 650 then it was 850. Got tired of pouring one mould of good bullets and then throwing away the next. Bought a RCBS and never looked back. You turn the pot on and set your temp and thats it. I have quit having a need for the thermometer.

Jon K
12-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Ladle pour...........get a Waage K-4757. Great temp control, and reasonable price. Call for info or to order as this is not in the catalog, or online. I think the current price is $143 delivered.

WAAGE Electric, Inc.
Global Headquarters
720 Colfax Ave, PO Box 337
Kenilworth NJ 07033-0337
Telephone: (908) 245-9363
Fax: (908) 245-8477

Jon

Railbuggy
12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I started casting 12ga slugs with the Lee 10lb bottom pour about 20 years ago.Still works so I gave it to my brother who was already a reloader but wanted to start casting.I now have the Lee 4-20 pot and expect it to last 20+ years.:drinks:

mold maker
12-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I bought the Waage pot for melted supply and ladle pours. It works great, is well engineered, and cheap.
My Lyman, and Lee bottom pour pots get lots of use, and temp. control is good on both. Yeah the Lee drips occasionally, and the Lyman spout freezes up once in a while. At 66 I drip and freeze too.
As you age and get more experience, you learn to adapt and work around life's difficulties. You also learn where each dollar is better spent. Young folks that feel the need to impress, pay top dollar for name brand recognition. Us older folks are only interested in getting the job done well, and a jingle left in our pockets.
Some times we expect too much, because we spent the big bucks. You DON"T always get what you pay for, but you DO always pay for what you get.
Buy what will get the job done and adapt to it. Spend the savings on powder and primers.
Shoot more, more accurately, more often, for less = casting and reloading.

jnovotny
12-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I also like the lee bottom pour. I just bought my second one after almost 20 years. Even with buying 2 pots I still have'nt spent what you would pay for an RCBS or a lyman.

HeavyMetal
12-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Your Lyman my just need a new control on the front of it.

I thoght I saw a post here with info on company that sold them. Will suggest you do a search and you might get lucky.

If your pot is beyond repair you really can't go wrong with the Lee 4-20. Yes you may get one that swings all over the place and drips, but he drip can be adjusted and the temp swings are a warranty issue. If that happens call Lee and ask for repairs and postage!

They will give it to you they just won't volenteer the idea!