PDA

View Full Version : what's a fast way to clean the leading out?

superior
12-17-2008, 05:40 PM
If I should get some leading in the barrel of my Glock23, what's the fastest ,easiest way to clean it out ? Thanks in advance for your reply.

docone31
12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I always shoot a clip of ball ammo as the last set of the day.
The rest is simple.

45nut
12-17-2008, 05:54 PM
A worn out bore brush wrapped with some strands off a copper pot scrubber (chore boy) will strip them right out in a few strokes.

:drinks:

pps
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
+1 on chore boy or "Lewis lead remover"

Pat I.
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I use a piece of one of those Lead Away cloths wrapped around an undersized brush

Drilln
12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Where do you find the lead away cloths?

SpaceGlocker
12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
simplist way is mix ½ hydrogen peroxide and ½ white vinegar......plug up end of barrel and pour in. When bubbling stops ....about 10 min. drain and run a dry patch....everything will come out.....be careful on anything blued it will remove it....this will not hurt a SS barrel... I then run a patch with a lube/conditioner to further clean and protect

jcwit
12-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Another vote for Chore Boy. Quick, easy, and no mess.

Pat I.
12-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Where do you find the lead away cloths?

Any of the online places or maybe in a bigger gun store. Mines from Birchwood Casey and it's called Lead Remover. Other companies sell the same thing under different names.

357maximum
12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
:twisted:A fast way?....dip it in mercury...almost instantly removes the lead.....good luck:twisted:

looseprojectile
12-18-2008, 01:53 AM
had good results using a really tight dry patch. Keep adding thickness to a jag 0n a cleaning rod with dry flannel patches till you have to drive it through with a mallet or plastic hammer. Takes it all out in one pass.
Been doing it this way for a long time. Always works.

Life is good

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2008, 08:37 AM
same here a few jacketed or even gas checked bullets will usually take care of it.
I always shoot a clip of ball ammo as the last set of the day.
The rest is simple.

bootsnthejeep
12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner (http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/)

As I recall I got tipped off to this from a Skeeter Skelton article. I've used tight patches, bronze brush material, de-leading cloth, everything will work, but not as fast as this stuff!

In my 357 (I tried to shoot some commercial bevel-base bullets in place of my 358156s on top of 14 gr of 2400.... didn't work out so well) a 30 cal bore brush, wrapped with two patches, wrapped with a couple wraps of Big 45 and dunked in Ed's Red. One pass and its all gone.

This stuff is also great for that gun that gun left in the truck or behind the door in the barn and got a bit of unwanted "patina" on the otherwise tolerable bluing. You can scour right over it with this stuff, will strip off the rust and not even scratch the bluing.

Neat stuff. It claims to be "a special alloy", it looks just like the regular kitchen scouring pads you see in the grocery store, but I've never tried one to find out, this stuff works too well to mess with. And a pad of it lasts quite some time.

Try it, you'll like it. :Fire:

Boots

John Boy
12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Spirits of Turpentine (not distilled) - bronze brushing and then a tight patch

kir_kenix
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Blue Wonder is pretty good too. I like to pour a bit directly in the bore, run a brass brush 10-12 times vigoursly down the bore, then let it sit for an hour. A few patches to get the BW out, and then some lube is added to protect the bore. It's really good stuff, and I use it a fair amount.

I Clean jacketed out with Butches Bore Shine and/or Kroils. I'm a really big fan of the Butches, but it is expensive.