PDA

View Full Version : I Think I'm Gonna cry..

housedad
12-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi I'm new here and have been getting everything back to gether to get back into casting after being out for 15 or so years.

I went to the scrap dealer and bought 200lb of WW yesterday, and the price was so good, I went back and bought another 200 today.

While I was there, the shop boss said that he had something that I might want to see.
He took me over and showed me a really large bin (4' X 4" x 4") and asked if I was interested.

I looked in and there was 3000lbs of once fired brass from two local indoor ranges and the state police ranges.

30-06, 45, 40, 9mm, 300win, 38, 357, 223, and some 50bmg. All commercial. About 1/3 of it in 223. Maybe 5% in nickle. Some other calibers too, but in lesser amounts. All of it real nice shiney condition. Never stored outside.

I asked how much, and he said a $1.00 per pound. I nearly cried. If I don't buy it, it is going to a chinese dealer .

I only have till tomorrow morning and then it goes to the scrap heap.

What do you think? should I buy it and sort it with slot trays and sell it, or let it go? I gots lots of time, as I am a housedad and stay home all day.

12-17-2008, 03:56 PM
THE 223 go for 50-80 per 1.000 and 38 spl 30-60. 38 spl are 10 lb per 1000. i think you could make a little money and get a few for your self.

No_1
12-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the board!

I think I would try to negotiate the price with him first but in the end, it could be a good way for a stay at home to make money. Please consider that cleaning the brass does help the resale value and that being so you should also consider the following:

Cleaning: Your average tumbler will slow your production considerably. You may consider one of the smaller electric cement mixers with a timer hooked to it as a tumbler. Commercial brass polish is expensive. Nu-Finish car polish is cheap in comparison and works just as good. Media, again the commercial stuff is expensive, try the feed store for a better price in 50 or 100 lb bags.

Sifting: Bigger tumbler means bigger sifter. Should be able to make something with wood and some type of wire screen.

Shipping: USPS offers flat rate boxes (in 3 sizes now I think) that they will deliver to the house for free.

Advertisment: You will need to network yourself so your product will get maximum exposure.

Labor: There is a lot of labor involved in this venture. Do you plan on sorting brass by headstamp or just offer it as mixed?

Profit: There can be profit in this if you do it right. Sometimes volume selling beats high price. Consider offering your brass at a lesser price than the competition. Some people will buy what they really do not need because the price is too good to pass up.

By all means let us know what you do. I am sure there are plenty here that would buy.

Robert

JFriis
12-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Be careful. If it is junk brass you may be getting the wrong end of the deal.
If it really is only once fired you should be able to make a dollar or three.

housedad
12-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I checked with both ranges and the brass is from their ranges. (They are both commercial indoor ranges) I put a call in to a trooper friend and he just got back to me. This IS the place that they take their brass to sell.

It is georgeous once fired. If the Boss (wife) says we can do it, I'll get some pics of it when I pick it up.

housedad
12-17-2008, 04:38 PM
No.`1 --

Thanks for that info!!

I don't know if I will sell it by headstamp. That will depend on how much of my time I have to spend sorting the calibers. (I'll probably make a set of sifting tables with slots or make a roller sorting unit.) I always liked buying same headstamp once fired, so I probably will sort it out.

I had not thought about the feed store. Nice tip. I had read on here already about the cement mixer, and I think I would want one with a plastic drum.

I've talked to the wife by phone, (she works) She'ssceptical, but I think she will go for it.

Pepe Ray
12-17-2008, 05:03 PM
This is coming from a frugal old phart.
Foe tumbling;
Consider a junk or second hand cloths drier. Doesn'T need 220 or heating. Only a motor x mission to turn the tub. If your handy "at all" it should be a cheap, easy fix.
The cases must be put,with the media, in old pillow cases or tied up pants legs.
I'm retired and always looking for ways to save a buck.
IAC, good luck,
Pepe Ray

mdi
12-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm usually in the market for once fired brass. Keep us posted and I just might purchase some from you.

jdowney
12-17-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm usually in the market for once fired brass. Keep us posted and I just might purchase some from you.

Yeah, me too. Looking around for 9mm, missed the last by the box sale in the classifieds by a couple days.

yondering
12-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like a good way to make a couple bucks. Midway and Dillon both sell brass sorter buckets (I have the set from Midway) for around $30, IIRC. These do help sort brass quickly.

You can get the brass pretty clean with a mixture of lemon juice, dish soap, and water. Let it sit for an hour or so and agitate once in a while. I put them all on a pizza pan in the oven at low temp (150-200 or so) to dry. A short time in the case tumbler polishes them nicely after that.

I've been doing the same as you are thinking of, but have a lot of gravel in the brass to sort out so it's pretty dirty.

chrisx1
12-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm looking for some .40 sw, some .223, and some .380 acp

housedad
12-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Wow. It looks like a market for it on here. Checking online, decent once fired is selling like hotcakes or is sold out.

I have the approval of the boss. Now I just have to get the current prices for Cartridge brass (UNS C26000 70/30) and try to get the price down. I'll carry my camera in the car tommorrow, stop by the bank, and then try to make a deal at the scrapyard. I love to dicker. I hope they do too.

Buckshot
12-18-2008, 01:19 AM
..............One of my shooting buddies is a volunteer at the local PD. One of his police officer friends came out to shoot with us and while eating lunch he mentioned they had a problem. He smiled and asked if anyone needed any brass. He said they had two 55 gallon drums used for fired brass down in the basement range that needed to be emptied, and was anyone interested?

This would have been all qualification shooting stuff and deptartment supplied. I said you guys have an Explorer Scout group right? He said sure. I suggested since they were always looking for money to fund various activities that they have the Scouts sort it, bag it, and sell it. The look of one of those forehead thumping, lightbulb over the head deals crossed his face.

..............Buckshot

opentop
12-18-2008, 01:29 AM
I could use 38 special brass and maybe some of the 30-06. If it real clean, I dont think I'd worry to much about tumbling it. I don't mind cleaning my own.

mike in co
12-18-2008, 10:29 AM
buying at a dollar is a good deal, if you get it for less, even better.

dont go the wet cleaning route....too slow adds cost and time.

sell here, auction arms, and gunbroker

i have always discounted to members....with some posts...there are guys that have bought from me with NO POSTS...joined just to get to me!

the sorting trays help, but there will still be hand sorting involved.

bags cost money...media from grainger( under blasting media)

priority mail is the only way to go, free boxes, free pickup at your house, sign up for click and ship at usps and print paied shipping labels at home.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

jdowney
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
buying at a dollar is a good deal, if you get it for less, even better.

dont go the wet cleaning route....too slow adds cost and time.

sell here, auction arms, and gunbroker

i have always discounted to members....with some posts...there are guys that have bought from me with NO POSTS...joined just to get to me!

the sorting trays help, but there will still be hand sorting involved.

bags cost money...media from grainger( under blasting media)

priority mail is the only way to go, free boxes, free pickup at your house, sign up for click and ship at usps and print paied shipping labels at home.

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Great advice Mike!

Couple things I'll add, if using an auction site, start low with no reserve on items like 9mm, .40 and .45 brass. Its going to go for a fair price due to demand, and starting low get excitement up. Auctions are NOT rational! But they can be a heck of a lot of fun to watch. I'm more cautious auctioning things where there isn't a whole lot of demand.

Grainger also used to be extremely fussy about only selling "wholesale" which to them is retail pricing to established businesses only. Pretty silly. If you have a business license no problem, but if not look for other sources like McMaster Carr that are less weird about who they sell to. Grainger may also have changed since I jumped through all the hoops too.

Good luck! Sounds like a great way to fund more gun purchases :twisted:

handyrandyrc
12-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Yup, I ALWAYS start an auction at a penny and I've never been disappointed with the outcome. Have over 200 on eBay and only a few on Gunbroker. People typically get into the "gotta win" thing and bid more than they should. Sometimes people get a good deal, but I've never felt bad about it.

housedad
12-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Great advice, guys!!!! Thansk!!

Well,I am now the owner of 2994 lbs of Brass. Paid for, now just got to get it into my trailler and into my garage today.

I will start the processes of sorting tomorrow. I think I'll while away the hours sorting, listening to Bing beltout those old Christmas tunes!

I'm off to go get my enclosed trailer, It's at my Mothers house.

(I forgot the camera this morning, but it is in the car now. Pics to come)

Alchemist
12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I would also suggest offering it for sale either polished or "as is"....not tumbled. It will save you some time and expense doing what many would rather do themselves (me anyway).

For shipping, as mentioned...USPS will bring flat rate boxes to you door, and carrier pick-up is an option for you if you use "click & ship". I'm a mailman, so PM me or go to USPS.com if you need details.

I'll be watching for some .38 special, 45 ACP and 9mm.....

Good luck in your new venture!

Superfly
12-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Check your PM,s I sent you one

thanks Jaime

Russel Nash
12-18-2008, 03:38 PM
from another forum I found this:

9mm, 59.46gr/ea, 117.7cases/#, 8.5#/1000

38spl, 68.06gr/ea, 102.8cases/#, 9.7#/1000

40s&w, 70.1gr/ea, 99.9cases/#, 10#/1000

.357mag, 78.3gr/ea, 89.4cases/#, 11.2#/1000

.45acp, 89.58gr/ea, 78.1cases/#, 12.8#/1000

.223, 95.28gr/ea , 73.5cases/#, 13.6#/1000

.44mag, 114.38gr/ea, 61.2cases/#, 16.3#/1000

50bmg, 865.26gr/ea, 8.1cases/#, 123.5#/1000

All weights are uncleaned fired cases with the primer remaining.

Individual case weights were derived using an average of mixed brass weights (except 50bmg)

So, if you picked up 8#?s of 45 brass: 8# X 78.1cases/# = 625 cases+/-

If you use 1gal ziploc freezer bags to store your brass, each (full) bag contains:

9mm, 15.6#, 1836cases
40s&w, 12.2#, 1219cases
45acp, 11.4#, 890cases
223, 11#, 809cases

or if you use the 5gal bucket method

9MM = 8500-9000 pieces
.40 S&W = 7000-7500 pieces
.45 ACP = 3800-4000 pieces

Tom Herman
12-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Grainger also used to be extremely fussy about only selling "wholesale" which to them is retail pricing to established businesses only. Pretty silly. If you have a business license no problem, but if not look for other sources like McMaster Carr that are less weird about who they sell to. Grainger may also have changed since I jumped through all the hoops too.

Nope, Grainger is still fussy... They will typically do a few "courtesy sales", then they want you to produce a business certificate... Fortunately, by the time they started that crap I had already squirreled away 30 pounds of Tin at $7.50....

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Frank46
12-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Check out your local welding supply house that sells blasting material. Last one I checked here sold both corn cob media and walnut media. Same stuff you pay big bucks for from places like midway. Comes in 50 lb bags. Last corn cob media was $12
a bag. That should go a long way and cut down polishing $$$$. Frank

mike in co
12-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Yup, I ALWAYS start an auction at a penny and I've never been disappointed with the outcome. Have over 200 on eBay and only a few on Gunbroker. People typically get into the "gotta win" thing and bid more than they should. Sometimes people get a good deal, but I've never felt bad about it.

if you auction...dont.....auctions take too long. establish a price and sell the stuff!( on the auction site)

i put all my brass at "buy it now"either one penny or one nickle over starting price.
all my prices included shipping.
i pass many auctions where no preset shipping is listed......you make a deal on the auction and get burned on the shipping.
remember you want it to go away quickly so you can put more up. if you put up two or more at the same time....no rush to bid.
just do one of each, and relist as soon as sold.
sell in increments....500/1000.........
do not over weight the box.
use lots of tape and del confirmation.

i suggest you deal in money orders only...one bounced check kills a lot of profit. postal mo are the best.

ask away
mike in co

mike in co
12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
from another forum I found this:

9mm, 59.46gr/ea, 117.7cases/#, 8.5#/1000

38spl, 68.06gr/ea, 102.8cases/#, 9.7#/1000

40s&w, 70.1gr/ea, 99.9cases/#, 10#/1000

.357mag, 78.3gr/ea, 89.4cases/#, 11.2#/1000

.45acp, 89.58gr/ea, 78.1cases/#, 12.8#/1000

.223, 95.28gr/ea , 73.5cases/#, 13.6#/1000

.44mag, 114.38gr/ea, 61.2cases/#, 16.3#/1000

50bmg, 865.26gr/ea, 8.1cases/#, 123.5#/1000

All weights are uncleaned fired cases with the primer remaining.

Individual case weights were derived using an average of mixed brass weights (except 50bmg)

So, if you picked up 8#?s of 45 brass: 8# X 78.1cases/# = 625 cases+/-

If you use 1gal ziploc freezer bags to store your brass, each (full) bag contains:

9mm, 15.6#, 1836cases
40s&w, 12.2#, 1219cases
45acp, 11.4#, 890cases
223, 11#, 809cases

or if you use the 5gal bucket method

9MM = 8500-9000 pieces
.40 S&W = 7000-7500 pieces
.45 ACP = 3800-4000 pieces

just goes to show ya...two guys can do the same job and come up with different numbers....
they are close though.

12.5 for 45 but i ship 12.7, and for 223/5.56 i got 13.7...but actually deliver 14lb per k...just to cover dinged cases i miss.
8.7 for 9mm
9.9 for 40
9.75 for 38 spcl
17 for 44 mag( 15.25 for new unprimed)

mike in co

Tom Herman
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Frank! I never would have thought to check on corn cob at the welder's supply place. I take my hat off to you...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Check out your local welding supply house that sells blasting material. Last one I checked here sold both corn cob media and walnut media. Same stuff you pay big bucks for from places like midway. Comes in 50 lb bags. Last corn cob media was $12
a bag. That should go a long way and cut down polishing $$$$. Frank

wheelgunner
12-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Housedad, get your self one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=847836
I sort about 3 or 4 55 gal barrels a year from our club, this product is a godsend! Run a search on it, there's a thread on here about the best way to use it. Good Luck!

opentop
12-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Housedad has been missing from this thread. I think we’re gonna have to round up a search party. He was last seen in the middle of a 3000 pound pile of brass.

:bigsmyl2:

housedad
12-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Housedad has been missing from this thread. I think we’re gonna have to round up a search party. He was last seen in the middle of a 3000 pound pile of brass.

:bigsmyl2:

That's just about it. I've been drowned in brass!! I have been working on howto sort the stuff, and have worked out a system that works somewhat for now. It looks like using the Brass Sorter tubs will be needed to speed this up.

Sorting the rifle/pistol is pretty easy, so is the 45 and rimmed cartidges, but when I get to the 9mm, 40, 380, and smaller, it really slows down.

I've done about 100 lbs so far. I ordered the bucket sorters, and that should make a world ofdifference.

Everyone that wants brass, please be patient a little longer. I just started sorting yesterday, my hands only work so fast.

Just so you folks know, I have been reloading for myself for about 20 years. I curently have around 40000 rounds of ammo in my storage that I have loaded, and have probably loaded around another 130000 more over the years. Almost all of it in once fired brass.

I'm telling you this so that you understand why I was so blown away by this brass. I have gotten some crappy once fired before from dealers, and while this is not always the best I have ever seen, most of it is.

The top of the box that I am pulling from is from the commercial ranges,
After putting into a couple of big boxes and putting it in my trailer, here is a couple of pictures:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=325

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=326

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=327

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=328

housedad
12-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I also purchased a large cement mixer at Lowes yesterday. It is the Kobalt brand, with a poly tub 2.3 cu ft mixing capacity 4 cu ft tub. I had a coupon for 10% off and a $25 gift card. It should really make it easier. I will be making wood or plastic paddles for the inside instead of the steel ones. (this is good. I always wanted one to tumble my 50 BMG cases anyway) The closest that have to a picture of it is from a ad where a guy is trying to sell one:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/chopsuey-pics/DSC_1028.jpg

I went shopping and got a couple of hundred pounds of walnut and corn media in the right grind size. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Spending today making the separator screen. Gonna put it over a big plastic tub.

Then do a pile of sorting.8-):mrgreen:

opentop
12-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey, I'm glad to see you came out of that pile alive! happy sorting:Fire:

madman
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Just my 2 cents worth. A small cement mixer from Harbor Freight with corn cob media, sold as pet bedding from pet supply stores. Makes a great tumbler. a 2 box set up one to sift the media from the cases (4 sides of wood open top with a 1/4 in wire mesh bottom)into another empty wooden box open top. solid bottom for catching the media. You can tumble and package thousands at a time.

Russel Nash
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
throw in some used bounce brand dryer sheets in with the brass and media.

it will help collect the dust, which theoretically contains the lead from the primers.

I'd still wear a dust mask if I was you.

I had read on another forum that using a concrete mixer will peen over the mouth of the cases, so I would recommend to use plenty of media to cushion the blow of cases hitting cases, just to be on the safe side.

Russel Nash
12-21-2008, 06:55 PM
in that pic I saw some 5.56 blank cartridges. I'm guessing you're just gonna have to sell those off at scrap price...

although I do remember one old timer telling me you could cut down .223 cases and turn them into M1Carbine cases.

uncle joe
12-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, me too. Looking around for 9mm, missed the last by the box sale in the classifieds by a couple days.

yeah me three
JE

badgeredd
12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
housedad,

FWIW, I was at a local gun show and looking for some once fired 30-06 brass. Mixed headstamps, fairly clean was $15 per 100. It wasn't all once fired and it also had a few military cases in it. Like you, I prefer like headstamps, mainly because I've found the same load in different brands give different pressures.

Keep us informed as it progresses. Personally, I think it is a fine idea and a decent money maker for anyone that doesn't mind some work to get there.

Edd

MakeMineA10mm
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm sending you a PM also. I'll buy some!!

rhead
12-22-2008, 06:11 AM
If you have an old treadmill build a rack from one by fours with 1 inch dowel pins going across the belt spaced so that a 5 gallon bucket will lay in the gap. Remove the handles and place 3 or 4 bunjee cords around the bucket to act as wheels. Make sure the lid is secure,you now have a tumbler that will handle 10 or 15 gallons at a time, depending on the length of the belt. It is built from recycled materials and can be programed for time and speed. Make sure that the height of the dowels is enough above the belt to keep the buckets from jumping the dowels.
If yours gets the same use as ours you may have to get a coat rack to replace it.

KSCowboy
12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I'll take some 9mm, please. I'll send a PM.

housedad
12-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Still sorting away. around 175 lb sorted so far just by caliber.......

I'll be glad when those bucket strainers get here.

jnovotny
12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
hook me up with any 44mag brass, thanks john

housedad
12-24-2008, 02:17 AM
in that pic I saw some 5.56 blank cartridges. I'm guessing you're just gonna have to sell those off at scrap price...

You would think they would have been shot off, but very, very few are used. I already have around 800 unfired blanks sorted out. It seems crazy to me that someone would dump a huge pile of them ( I think I only have sorted out maybe 25% of the blanks) considering they are listing for $260 to $280 per thousand.

I was wondering if something was wrong, so I fired off a few. They all worked fine. Nice n loud.

HeavyMetal
12-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Keeping an interested eye on the thread!

I suspect by the time this is over you may wish you hadn't! I loaded a bunch of 38 special for a secruity guard class about 25 years ago ( 4000 rds) I will never do that again!

Very curious to see what you wind up with?

snowtigger
12-24-2008, 04:36 AM
Keep me in mind for some .45 acp. Them bottom feeders really know how to lose brass!! :Fire:

acemedic13
12-24-2008, 05:31 AM
if you run into any 308......lemme know..Thanks. ACE

madcaster
01-16-2009, 02:39 AM
If you are really friendly with the Postmaster you may be able to ask for the Priority mail taope to take home with you ONLY FOR USE ON PRIORITY PACKAGES!
It may save you from buying clear packaging tape...[smilie=1:

Scrounger
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
If you are really friendly with the Postmaster you may be able to ask for the Priority mail taope to take home with you ONLY FOR USE ON PRIORITY PACKAGES!
It may save you from buying clear packaging tape...[smilie=1:

Sign up for a Click-N-Ship account at the USPS website. You can order all the Priority Mail boxes, tape, labels, custom forms, whatever you need, FOR FREE. Weigh your package, do your label and pay postage online, and notify the post office to have your mail carrier stop by and pick up your package. Now as soon as they figure out how to do money orders on line, you can do all the buying and selling you want without ever leaving your house.

MoldyJoe
01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Dad, just curious how your Brass sales are going? I have a similar opportunity here and picked up 200# or so to see if I could use any. PM me if you want. Thanks, Joe

alw700
01-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Housedad I would like to get some 45 ACP.
Let know what you are asking for a 1000.
Thanks Arthur

Superfly
01-25-2009, 06:18 AM
House Dad

Looking for 223 and 45 acp.

What do you have and how much????

Jaime

fallout4x4
01-25-2009, 11:34 AM
goto http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=44125

ASM826
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
If you've ever fired blanks in 5.56, through an M16 or and AR15, you'll know why they dumped them. The BFA (Blank Firing Adapter) that fits into the flash suppressor so that the rifle will cycle helps traps the burned gases in the barrel and action. The result is a rifle so dirty that you almost pour the mess out of the ejection port.

I learned my lesson at Parris Island, and the last time I was issued blanks, I never fired the rifle. Saved me hours of time at the cleaning racks.

inuhbad
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Holey Moley! That's a ton of brass!!!

I'll have to check with my finance committee (wife) to see if I could get some too! :)

johnly
01-31-2009, 02:32 AM
I'd be in the market for 9mm, 357, and 45 ACP brass.

Thanks!

John

georgeld
01-31-2009, 04:29 AM
Hmmm, whole month since his last post.
Hope he didn't let it drown him.

IF you get back one of these days.

I'd be interested in the 5.7's you find. A box full by the pound.

Forget about Priority Boxes. Get the Flat Rate boxes only. Prices have gone up to $10.35 now but, 70lbs is allowed per box.

make sure you seal the cases inside bags for when they bust the boxes open the contents are not lost.

Good luck, and hurry back. We're all anxious to hear how you're doing with the project.

bfox
01-31-2009, 10:57 AM
He has been selling in the swapping and selling section .