PDA

View Full Version : Which Lube?

Spokerider
12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Hey,
I'm about to buy some lube an begin casting some 525gr .460 GC water-quenched WW boolits for my new GG. These boolits have 3 lube grooves, and I intend to pan lube them, then seat the GC's with the Lee luber sizer.

The lubes that are readily available to me are as follows:
Lyman Orange Magic
Lyman Super Moly
Ideal Bullet Lubricant
Alox Bullet Lubricant [ NRA formula]
Lee Alox Beeswax Lube [ NRA formula]
RCBS Bullet Lube [ alox / beeswax formula ]
Jake's Lube [various types avail on his ebay listings]
Magma Blue Lube [ ebay ]
Felix Lube [ homemade ]

Which lube would serve my application the best?

Dan, from Mountainman Molds reccomends Red Rooster......but I can't find that here in Canada.
Seems most of the larger US shooting suppliers like Midway won't ship to Canada, thus, my limited choices.....

Thanks.

Maven
12-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Spokerider, The hard lubes, e.g., Rooster Red and Lyman Orange Magic,* may be too waxy to adhere to the CB when melted for pan lubing. Besides, a review of lubes (Rooster Red for ex.) in "Fouling Shot" (Cast Bullet Assoc.) didn't find many lubes to be more effective than the NRA 50-50 beeswax & alox formula. Also, Lyman Super Moly doesn't melt easily, but it is soft enough at room temp. (20 deg.C) to be smeared on with your fingers (messy though!). Felix Lube can be softened enough (with petrolatum) to do the same thing. Lastly, if you pan lube be careful not to overheat the lube of choice since it presents a fire hazard and it will alter its [chemical] composition.

*These are for high velocity applications. I've used Orange Magic before, but always through a lube-sizer and always with a heat source. It worked well enough, but I never pushed it beyond 1,800fps.

felix
12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
I personally don't think your application demands a high performance lube, assuming a fairly good boolit fit. Because you are thinking of pan lubing and purchasing, I would order a two pounds of lube with some EXTRA carnauba from Lar45 on our board. That will be enough to play with and then modify should your particular conditions warrent. ... felix

High Desert Hunter
12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Bullshop Speed Green.

SharpsShooter
12-30-2005, 06:40 PM
At the velocities you will get from a 525gr boolit out of a guide gun....recoil being a determining factor...I'd venture any quality Black Powder lube will handle the job. Bullshop has a good BP lube that is reputed to be better than SPG. I recently bought 10 sticks of it and haven't had opportunity to try it yet. I'll be shooting it with BP, so my test results may not apply to your situation. I have shot smokeless 45-70 loads using SPG with good results.. That said...If Bullshop BP lube is better, I'd give it a try.

Spokerider
12-30-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info.
I figure the MV will be around 1600 or there abouts, so I can see why a high performance lube is not needed.

Felix, what kind of lube does lar45 sell? an alox / beeswax mix?

I'd like to get the lube that will do the job since I don't see myself experimenting endlessly with various lubes. If it works and there is no or little leading I'll be happy.

So, if I understand correctly, for pan lubing, I will need a lube that is somewhat sticky and not too waxy or it may break away from the bullet lube grooves when cutting / lifting the bullet out. If smearing the lube on each bullet by hand then sizing seems to work I'll probably stick to that method.
Thanks.

felix
12-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Lar45's lube is NRA 50-50 equiv. Somewhat sticky without carnauba. Ask him for a little extra carnauba than he would normally supply. It raises the melting point some, and makes the lube less sticky. I or others on the board will be happy to help you pan lube. I use the push through method after the lube is cold. Yes, the speed greed would be great also. ... felix

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Midways specs on Javelina bullet lube as still have 2138F Alox in it, where they getting it from since it's supposely been discontinued?

Joe

Bullshop
12-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Hay Felix
Its Speed Green Not Speed Greed. The D is awfuly far from the N on my key board. Is that a slip, cmon now be nice. Gona have to scope that typing finger!
BIC/BS

Bullshop
12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Hay Joe
I still have a 5 galon bucket I got from The Alox corp from Niagra Falls NY.
I also have a big block of turak a friend sent years ago. Never have tried that stuf.
BIC/BS

StarMetal
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Bull,

You actually got the 2138F?

Joe

felix
12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to make sure you were awake up there in those woods. Really, the speed greed sounds good, almost as good as speed green. Naturally, a typo. ... felix

Bullshop
12-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Joe
Yes I bought a bunch of it about 15 years ago.
BIC/BS

Lloyd Smale
12-31-2005, 06:18 AM
I use a lube for black powder bullets that works good for pan lubeing and probabaly would work fine for what your doing i mix 5050 beeswax and crisco and add about 5 percent olive oil. Bullets break out easy by letting it set up knocking it out of the pan turning it upside down and pushing on the bases.

dnorris
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I want to try pan lubing some bullets and would like to know the proper distance to space the bullets, 1/8, 1/4. when I make my jig for the bullets to sit in. I figure if they are to close they will fall apart and to far away from each other will require more lube. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

cbrick
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
dnorris, I never gave much thought to how far they were spaced. I use a pie plate and stand the boolits in it and then pour the melted lube in up to the desired level on the boolits and wait until completely cool. Then I use a cartridge case of proper caliber that's been expanded just enough to allow the boolits to slip through easily and use it as a cookie cutter. Left over lube in the pie plate is re-melted and poured into a Mason jar for storage.

How far apart they are kinda depends on the size of the pie plate and how many I need to get in it at one time.

Rick

Lead Fred
12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I would ask how fast as you pushing them boolits?

I push mine right at 1400 fps.

I use the time old standard

5 parts bees wax
4 parts crisco
1 parts canola oil

simple, readily available, easy to mix.

For 30 cal I use White Lube's. 2500+ cause I push them over 2000fps