PDA

View Full Version : JC Higgins 101.25 rebarrel to 45 long colt?

Jonathan in Austin
12-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I recently purchased a JC Higgins 101.25 which is a
Stevens 39a, 59a, 59b, or 59c.

It is a bolt action, 410 chambered for 3" rounds. I was thinking that it would be an interesting project to build a 45 Long Colt bolt action w/ a tubular magazine.

Pressure ratings are similar 13.5k PSI versus 14K PSI for the 45.
Rim diameter and width are similar...

Anyone know if the barrel on these are screwed in or pressed in?
Has anyone done anything similar?

45 Long Colt chambered blanks are $75 from numrich, should be a relatively simple thread the barrel, cut extractor reliefs and cut dovetails for sights. As the tubular magazine is just clamped to the barrel...Or does anyone else know of a cheaper 45 long colt barrel.

Jonathan

Buckshot
12-17-2008, 05:45 AM
............If the barrel were a shrink fit they'd also be pinned as a mechanicly positive means of retention, so you could check for that. Additionally check: http://www.e-gunparts.com/dept.asp as they may have a blown up parts schedule for it and it'd show whether it was pined or threaded.

I'd toyed with the idea of finding such a shotgun but in 12 guage and fitting barrel to make a bolt action .577 Snider. See, you're not the only whack job floating around :-)

................Buckshot

Jonathan in Austin
12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I found the schematic, and don't see a pin between the barrel and the receiver, so it is probably screwed in. I would love to know the TPI, pitch, and other details regarding the barrel. Shouldn't be that hard to remove the barrel.
I need to run some 45 long colt dummy rounds to see how they currently feed through the magazine, feedramp, and see if the extractor can grab them adequately. I will have some time off over the holidays to try it.
As far as I can tell, no one ever made a bolt action 45 long colt. Might just have to do that for the "I did that!" factor...

Jonathan

Buckshot
12-18-2008, 02:31 AM
...............I turned a Spanish Destroyer carbine into a 45 ACP from it's original 9mm Largo chambering. Almost 44 mag ballistics :-) A Lee 405gr slug at 1075 fps!

Jonathon, for pity's sake, take pictures along the way and post them here. That's what the whole "Special Projects" thing is all about!

................Buckshot

Doughty
12-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Jonathan,

I don't know for sure which barrel you were looking at on Numrich's site. The only one I could find in the blanks section was a 25 incher with a 1-32 twist for about $72 plus shipping. I don't think that one is chambered though. If that's the one you're looking at, you might want to rethink that twist. Might be difficult to get the heavier/longer bullets to shoot well.

I believe they still have some barrels for the Malin 24" Cowboys in .45 Colt. These have the Ballard cut rifling and a 1-16 twist. I think they only want about $50 for them. They are octagon so I don't know how that would fit into your plans. Could always be turned down I suppose.

Sounds like a fun project though. Keep us posted

cobbmtmac
12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
J in A,

I have had great Customer Servie with Numrich Gun Parts, in respect to asking them to phyically pull an unfamiler part (to me). Further, we have been able to discuss such things as, phyical measurements etc. to my satifaction.

It takes awhile to get through, but my first words, are to tell them how helpful they have always been and that I sure hope they can help me today. I have done this a few times , once they took care of me on the spot, the other times they called me back.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all. :drinks:

Jonathan in Austin
12-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the part Vic. I was wondering about the twist rate of the barrels. The Marlin Cowboy barrel looks to be better in every way. Plus it has the dovetails for the front and rear sights. As far as octogon, I would need to modify the tube magazine mount for it, but otherwise not a problem. Still haven't had a chance to load some 45 colt dummy rounds to see how they will feed...
Then removing the old barrel...

357maximum
12-19-2008, 09:41 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/recovered166.jpg

Jonathan

I have never had a barrel out of one, but with a redneck machined encore base and a new bolt handle they do make for one nice 410 slug gun. I use a custom made 140gr hollowbased .412 boolit and it is quite impressive. You have to releive tha bottom of the base for ejection clearance and for the bolt stop, but they do shoot nice. The brenneke 410 slugs actually outshoot my homerolled by a tad, but they are pricey.

Since the pic was taken everything has been polished and re-blued. The base is a weaver aluminum for the encore. Bolt handle is an old center punch handle. It is my wifes deer gun, and will put 5 slugs into about an inch at 100 when I do my part.