PDA

View Full Version : BPCR patching - wads?

JeffinNZ
12-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Team.

Do you load a wad of any source under PP bullets for BPCR?

I will soon be doing some trials with PP in my .38/303.

leftiye
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Card wads, and grease wads are often used. Also lube saturated fiber wads.

kodiak1
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Powder, Milk Carton Wad, Grease Cookie, Bullet.

Ken.

John Boy
12-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Also lube saturated fiber wads.
I'm a great fan of lubed felt wads. No muss - no fuss: waxpaper over powder - lubed 0.030 felt wad - bullet = Done
Need more bullet out of the case? Use a 0.060 wad

Pete D.
12-29-2008, 06:12 PM
JohnBoy: "waxpaper over powder"
How much wax paper do you use? I've tried caliber sized discs and found that handling them was a pain.
Pete

docone31
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
This has me curious,
When I size my patch, there is a stub of a tail. The sizing die mashes it into a compressed wad. I use JPW to size with, the stub is fairly thick.
What are over powder cards used for with paper patching?

montana_charlie
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
This has me curious,
When I size my patch, there is a stub of a tail. The sizing die mashes it into a compressed wad. I use JPW to size with, the stub is fairly thick.
What are over powder cards used for with paper patching?
Overpowder wads are used, in BPCR, to protect the base of the bullet from deformation by the 'hard slam' black powder generates.
Even with wads in place, some bullets exhibit dents that resemble powder granules.

You wouldn't want a wad in a smokless-loaded case as it would (more likely) be seen as an 'obstruction' which can (probably would) cause problems.

Your bullet bases already have that tail mashed into them, so a wad wouldn't have much to protect, anyway.
CM

docone31
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks, that explains it.
I had often tought of these things, it is good to hear from someone with experience.
It all makes sense.
Something tells me, back in those days, without the One Eyed Monster we all seem to have, in other words, boob tube, they had time to think about things.
That makes sense.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
In my PP BPCR load I use 3 wads actually, one to compress my Powder Charge. It's Goex Fg Express which likes quite a lot of compression. That wad is .052 Veg Fiber for compression, The second wad is .060 Poly wad, The Third wad is used to mainly seat out the PP bullet a bit further into the rifling, this last wad is actually .091 thick Cork wad.

Cork wads are often mentioned in some old texts for use in BPCR rifles.

All of the above wads are hand cut on a Cornell Press Mounted Wad Punch from Buffalo Arms.

Accuracy with the above mentioned Wad stack have been tested from 200 yards to 1 Mile. And have shown to be more then competitive. And have fired Master Class Scores at 800-900-1000 yards in NRA National Championship Creedmoor Matches.

The Lunger

John Boy
12-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Folks that are not familiar with Kenny's achievements with his PP recipe - He's Tearing The Field Up, including a new record for the Pedersoli 5 at 200yds. Jump on his shirt tails!

Pete, just one thin waxpaper wad

docone31
12-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Wow.
I won't jump on his shirt tails, I do not want to slow him down.
I cannot tell anyone, how much I have learned from here.
There are some folks here I followed years ago.
I am lucky, running with the big boys. Especially in something I am as interested in.