PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weights

Captain Midnight
12-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Now here is a situation that needs resolved!
My friend runs a large tire shop. The guy that bought his ww says that the hurricanes in the south has dried up his fishing sinker business and he will not need any weights soon.
What would casters here pay for a Flat Rate box of ww above the $8 shiping cost?
We would make sure there were no lug nuts of valve stems or such, just good old dirty ww's.
This is sort of an informal eBay kind of thing. He normally collects several 5 gal. buckets and the guy bought them about every other month.
Group input is appreciated.
I have ALL the Pb I need unless I plan to cast a keel for a sail boat, and then I still might have enough to do the job. ................... Captain

Beau Cassidy
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't mean to disapoint you but I would have a real hard time paying anything for ww. I must be lucky but they are readily available here.

Beau

snowwolfe
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
$30 bucks a box including the shipping. You can put up to 70 pounds in a box. Don't put more than 70 pounds in the box of the Post Office will not accept it. If you tape the box good with duct tape it will survive the journey. I'll take 4 boxes, 65 pounds per box, $120 bucks. One box at a time to make sure they are taped good enough to make the journey

cbrick
12-30-2005, 04:03 AM
The only WW I have ever paid for were from Art Greene @ .35 cents a pound. I only did that because I could get them 100 pounds at a time, cleaned up, fluxed and in 3 pound ingots.

A lot of tire shops are happy to have someone come get them si they don't have to pay to get rid of them.

Silly tire guys.

Rick

robertbank
12-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Up here we have to pay $15 per 100 lbs. Darn things are in demand from guys who cast fishing weights.

Stay Safef

snowwolfe
12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Every tire changing place I have talked to said they used to give them away but now they send them back to the company they buy wheel weights from for credit. For you guys that can still get them for free my hat is off to you.

Rick N Bama
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
The tire stores around here are asking $25.00 for a 5gal bucket of used WWs. We have a commercial boolit casting operation nearby that drives up the price.

Rick

BOOM BOOM
12-30-2005, 07:01 PM
HI
Same here in Provo, ut. there is a commercial bullet caster who makes a circut every monday of all the tire shops so ww have dried up. blah!!!!

nighthunter
12-31-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a brother in law who is good friends with a tire shop owner. He keeps me supplied with a lot of WW. I just gave BIL 1000 cast 44's. 500 429421 and 500 300 gr FNGC. He is happy with the deal and so am I. I sometimes score WW other places but rarely pay for them.
Nighthunter

MT Gianni
12-31-2005, 02:09 PM
If you are serious about selling ww I would melt them down and sell 20 1# ingots. No interest my self but furniture is worth a lot more than raw logs. Gianni.

Captain Midnight
12-31-2005, 03:49 PM
If you are serious about selling ww I would melt them down and sell 20 1# ingots. No interest my self but furniture is worth a lot more than raw logs. Gianni.

MT Gianni

I'll consider that advice.
Messy - Stinky - Heavy
Other than that ww's are fun !

Captain

Hang Fire
12-31-2005, 10:20 PM
When the son in law was a youngster, he worked at a tire shop. After he and the daughter got married, he saw that I used WW for casting, he said he might have some I could use. He did, 10 five gallon buckets full.

That was back in the early 80's, as I got transferred around a bit, the movers did not like them too much. Last year I noticed I was down to 2 buckets, lucked out though, local tire shop sells them for $15.00 per five gallons. So I am now stocked back up, hopefully enough to outlast father time.

snowwolfe
12-31-2005, 11:55 PM
For you folks who can get them for free I have some advice. Get as many as you can now because the supply is drying up. There is now a lot of commerical casters selling both bollits and sinkers. Add that to the fact companies are now giving credits for old ones and the fact the EPA is trying to ban lead altogether will make the market ever tougher. I would be willing to bet in 10 years they will not even be making wheel weights out of anything but zinc.

nighthunter
01-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Snowwolfe is probably right on this one. I've read that some European countries are already banning lead WW and if it is true it won't be long till the enviromental people in this country jump on the band wagon.
There is a company near me named Sinter Fire that makes bullets that are lead free for the military and police agencies. Thier bussiness is growing by leaps and bounds. Some people have had good success using these bullets on game. The bullets are a product of the powdered metals industry. Various powdered metals are mixed together then go through a pressing operation and then into a sintering oven where the metals become bonded together.
The company has a weekend every year when prospective customers can come and shoot these bullets till thier hearts are content. Haven't heard of them haveing any layoffs of employees.

fecmech
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Befor you try selling the wheel weights in the flat rate box you might want to see how many you can get in there. Between the clips and odd sizes I'd be suprized if you could fit 40 lbs of ww's in a flat rate box. I have not tried it , that's just a guess on my part. Nick

PDshooter
01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I cast straight W/W with just a touch of tin added to my 10#Lee pot. I get all my W/W for free from a tire shop that dose'nt what to mess with "Haz-mat" :lovebooli
I've got about two 5gal buckets full of W/W. I think I'll swing by and see if I need to pick up a bucket on Tuesday the 2nd :oops:

snowwolfe
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Befor you try selling the wheel weights in the flat rate box you might want to see how many you can get in there. Between the clips and odd sizes I'd be suprized if you could fit 40 lbs of ww's in a flat rate box. I have not tried it , that's just a guess on my part. Nick

You can get a lot more than 70 pounds in a flat rate box. Trust me on this. I estimate they can hold about 85 pounds.

And as far as lead free bullets are concerned it does appear to be the wave of the future. Barnes has been promoting there new X bullet with the tungsten insert as being "lead free". The EPA made lead shot go away. Sinkers and bullets will be next. Most likely they will be lead free within 10 years.

quasi
01-02-2006, 09:30 PM
The going rate is $20.00 can. for a 5 gallon bucket, around here.

snowwolfe
01-03-2006, 12:09 AM
If I could buy them for $20 per 5 gallon bucket in the states it would be easily to make at least 5 times my purchase price.

Beau Cassidy
01-03-2006, 07:55 AM
You can get a lot more than 70 pounds in a flat rate box. Trust me on this. I estimate they can hold about 85 pounds.

68 lbs. will get you about half a box full.... I wouldn't want to try to pick up a flat rate box full of processed WW.

Beau

3584ELK
01-03-2006, 11:22 PM
So...Captain...what's the deal? I am interested in this as long as it will pan out for a fair price. I currently pay $10/ bucket of WW's. I estimate that to be around 125#. And, I wouldn't mind having the stuff sorted as you propose as opposed to picking out valve stems, bolts, and cig butts. If you can get 70# shipped, I am all for paying $25, shipping included. Let me know...