PDA

View Full Version : 32 special questions....

jdowney
12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Soooo many questions!

First off, I'm completely new to reloading, got an old press that will do for now and some basic RCBS dies, and fortunately, a neighbor who'll show me a bit of whats what.

For the moment I just bought a box of jacketed bullets to get started, but ultimately I want to use cast bullets, preferably my own. I notice that jacketed bullets are listed as .321 and cast as .323 (this is from Midway's site). So when I get to buying a sizer, what size do I want? I'm guessing I'm going to need to measure the actual rifle from reading some other posts here. How do I do that?

Then when I start using cast bullets, do I need different dies? Is that what them thar "cowboy" dies are for?

Since the rifle is a model 94, I'm not expecting bench rest accuracy, but I would like maximum case life. Would some of the precision dies help with this?

Oh yeah, I also have an L. E. Wilson case trimmer. It looks to me like I can size the brass and then trim it so that I only need one case holder. But then why would they make two others, one for un-fired and one for fired?

Thanks in advance for helping out another NG :mrgreen:

testhop
12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
size your barreland add 1 or 2 thousands for cast

felix
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
New to reloading? What lucky day you have: 32WS in a genuine Winnie gun. The best one of two guns out of the box for immediate success. Get the RCBS Cowboy dies because they are no hassle when making 30-30 into 32-30 (32WS) cases, and are sized right on the money for the standard Winnie. Take the jacketed bullets back to the store, and trade them for H335 powder and/or anybody's Large Rifle primers. Get the RCBS 170 grainer boolit and associated 32 caliber gaschecks. Can you remember 32? Use 32 grains of H335, or slightly lower if you want. The other out of the box gun would be the 35 Remington in a Marlin lever gun. ... felix

Leadforbrains
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I have a Model 94 in .32 Winchester special. I followed Felixes advice and got the RCBS Cowboy dies and the RCBS .32-170-FNGC mold. Everything has worked out great with this combination. So much so that I was able to kill a nice fat doe at 70 yards using the iron sights.
I couldnt be happier. I am using IMR4198 and sizing to .321 with the RCBS Lubrisizer.
If you use the search feature you should be able to find a whole bunch of info right here.

Hey Felix thanks again for the tips and it just so happens that I have a pound of H335. I will try that out and see how that works.:drinks:

felix
12-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Go to 323 sizer, and use those boolits to compare as well. They should work better with the H335 anyway.
What you are doing now is obviously fine, however. ... felix

jdowney
12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks Felix, thats the mold I've had my eye on. I'll have to see about trading in those dies & bullets, no big deal if I can't. My neighbor said he's got some 3031 powder he's not going to use, and I've got some of dad's left over Alliant but only load data for 30-30's. I'll see if I can pick up some H335 on the road Wednesday (drive by about 5 gunshops, very dangerous!)

Always loved that 94, but even when I got it in the '90's it was pricey to shoot compared to a milsurp, now its out of sight with factory loads.

Next comes the never ending search for cheap/free lead, right?

nicholst55
12-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Get the RCBS Cowboy dies because they are no hassle when making 30-30 into 32-30 (32WS) cases, . ... felix

Not to nitpick, but turning .30-30 brass into .32-20 brass (.32 WCF) would be quite a trick.... and would involve many more 'form' dies than just a basic set - and a shrink ray!:-D

Don't confuse the two cartridges - .32-20 Winchester (aka .32 Winchester Center Fire, or WCF) fits into revolvers; .32 Winchester Special is a rifle cartridge; much longer and much larger in diameter.

Just trying to clear up a possible misconception for a new reloader - no flame on anyone.

Leadforbrains
12-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Not to nitpick, but turning .30-30 brass into .32-20 brass (.32 WCF) would be quite a trick.... and would involve many more 'form' dies than just a basic set - and a shrink ray!:-D

Don't confuse the two cartridges - .32-20 Winchester (aka .32 Winchester Center Fire, or WCF) fits into revolvers; .32 Winchester Special is a rifle cartridge; much longer and much larger in diameter.

Just trying to clear up a possible misconception for a new reloader - no flame on anyone.

Not tryin to speak for Felix, or correct anyone that has more experience than me but what I read in his post Felix said .32-30 not .32-20.:drinks:

sundog
12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeppers, 32-30, That's what we've been calling 30-30 brass that has been run thru a 32 Win Spl die and fire formed in the 32 Win Spl.

If you do that, it should, of course, be kept segregated from any 30-30 brass you have. It is a fast and simple way to have as much 32 Win Spl brass as you'll ever need.

I've had NEW 32 Win Spl that was too long and needed trimmed before loading even the first time.

One other thing. Ranch Dog graciously has allowed me to have a proptotype of his new mould for the 32 Win Spl. It is designed like all of his others, GC, tumble loob. It can easily be sized in a Ly 450 or RCBS through a .323 die, or dipped in LLA and if desired run through a Lee push through .323. He says this new mould should be available some time next summer. Good alternate to the RCBS 32-170-FN if Lee gets the dimensions right.

sundog
12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Ah, load data. Use 30-30 load data for equal weight boolit. Since the 32 is larger than 30, pressure and velocity will be lower, then just work up. Also, equal weight boolit will normally load further out in the case in the 32, so that means less pressure, yet again. And 16 twist in the 32 as opposed to 12 or 10 in 30-30 will lower pressure even more. 3031 is a very good powder in this application, as is H335, 4198, and 4895. In short, you can significatly improve 30-30 ballistics with a 32 Win Spl. Amazing to me why it never caught on better.

badgeredd
12-16-2008, 12:28 PM
FWIW, my Dad's Winny 32 WS slugs @ .3225 and never shot worth beans and jacketed bullets until I bumped a flat on some 8mm round noses bullets. Then it shot great. I suspect that several guns suffered from the same problem from what I was told when I was trying to get the thing to shoot decent. NOW that I have seen the light of casting my own, I 'spect I won't have quite the problems with any rifle. I recall in the 70s a friend/gunshop owner/reloader also told me then that 32 WS would shoot much better with cast boolits. Of course then, I wanted condom bullets so I never pursued his advice. A few years ago I bought some cast for him and loaded up a box full for him to try, and like lightning struck, it became his favorite rifle because of the deadly accuracy and decent (to him) recoil. That may be a reason for the lesser popularity or the fact that the 30-30 is still a favorite cartridge. Who knows?

Edd

Pepe Ray
12-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll try posting some pages --Stand by!

Hope this works!
Pepe Ray

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/Casting%20stuff/LymCB32Sp-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/Casting%20stuff/LymCB32Sp-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/Casting%20stuff/LymCB32Sp-3.jpg

Pepe Ray
12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
I apologize for not being more proficient in my picture posting skills. Perhaps someone with more ability than I can fix it.
Of course the data is legible if you can read upside down.
Pepe Ray

sundog
12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Pics are fine Ray. Stood on my head to read the first one, laid on my right
side for the second, and got back upright for the last.

Problem with the load books for 32 Win Spl is that they are way too anemic for releasing the true value of this very misunderstood and under rated round. When loaded to it's fullest capablility it is BETTER than the 30-30. Perhaps one of the finest medium sized game cartridges EVER developed.

jdowney
12-16-2008, 01:02 PM
FWIW, my Dad's Winny 32 WS slugs @ .3225 and never shot worth beans and jacketed bullets until I bumped a flat on some 8mm round noses bullets. Then it shot great.

Thats interesting Edd, I may have to check mine. As I recall it shoots pretty good, I remember getting close to (empty) propane cylinders at about 150 yds. It was more fun with a .22 though as you didn't have to walk out and stand them up as often!:mrgreen:

Sundog, I saw some earlier discussion of that mold, as well as an article comparing 30-30 bullets from various molds (ranch dog's being one of them). Looks like I may have to try it too, I suspect one can't have too many molds to play with, just like guns to shoot. Any thoughts on the Magma mold?

I hadn't thought I'd want to use 30-30 cases, but then checking some prices on GB, they're about half what 32 WS cost new (and about the same as what I've been buying - I think its old stock/old price). Probably stop in tomorrow and buy the rest they've got if they haven't caught on yet.

Ray - Thanks for the info! I see some 2400 recipes in there, got a couple pounds of that and I hadn't seen anything published for it. Also a little unique, some reloader 15(that's the only one alliant's online load charts had for 30-30 as I recall).

45nut
12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Pics are fine Ray. Stood on my head to read the first one, laid on my right
side for the second, and got back upright for the last.

[smilie=1: I fixed the alignment issues! :drinks:

Pepe Ray
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I got back into my desk top and then to my other Pic. software. Figured out what I'd done and corrected it on my desk top so if I needed to post again it would come out OK.
This PC stuff is amazing. Wish I'd started earlier, learning the "ropes'.
Pepe Ray

jdowney
12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Ray, I just caught your location. I went to HS in Orono.

sundog
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I use both .32 Win Spl cases and reformed 30-30 cases. Same-o-same.

If fact, in a pinch, an emergency, you can fire 30-30 in a .32 Win Spl. Accuracy past ?? yds will be crap, but it can be done. Kinda like firing 30-06 in a 35 Whelen...

...and I lived in Belgrade Lakes. Many years ago.

Pepe Ray
12-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeauh;
Seems like a lot of folks run off when my black flies get hungry. I stop feedin'em 'bout March so's the'll be good'n hungry fur summa.
Still 'nall, alotta folks keep movin' in, from away donchano. Makes for a lotta 'For Sale' signs up'n down the rode. :roll:
Pepe Ray

nicholst55
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Not tryin to speak for Felix, or correct anyone that has more experience than me but what I read in his post Felix said .32-30 not .32-20.:drinks:

D'oh! Don't you just hate it when that happens! I find myself reading what I WANT rather than what's written more and more often these days.

:killingpc

farmbif
11-10-2014, 01:13 PM
The cowboy rcbs 32 win spl full length size die does not have an expander as part of the decapping stem. It has a very thin decapping stem. I just got a set and now realize if not forming 30-30 brass with a bit of bullseye and some cream of wheat I had better get a standard fl size die. Just can't decide what brand would be best, rcbs, lyman, or lee or spend the big bucks and getaway redding, foster or hornady. Also if someone could comment on setting up the cowboy expander, do I want to set it deep to expand all the way to the shoulder of the case or not. I guess once I cast and lube size some bullets I will find out

BrassMagnet
11-10-2014, 05:11 PM
The cowboy rcbs 32 win spl full length size die does not have an expander as part of the decapping stem. It has a very thin decapping stem. I just got a set and now realize if not forming 30-30 brass with a bit of bullseye and some cream of wheat I had better get a standard fl size die. Just can't decide what brand would be best, rcbs, lyman, or lee or spend the big bucks and getaway redding, foster or hornady. Also if someone could comment on setting up the cowboy expander, do I want to set it deep to expand all the way to the shoulder of the case or not. I guess once I cast and lube size some bullets I will find out

You should consider a Lyman M die.

Here is a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/424873/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-32-caliber?cm_vc=ProductFinding

PM me for contact info if you have further questions.