PDA

View Full Version : Babbit boolits???

Superfly
12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
Well my neighbor just told me he has a bunch of babbit that his dad used to make bearings and said it is just laying there in the snow.

Can i use this to make Boolits out of fo my 45 acp or 357 and 30 30

What does the geneal consensus say on this????:veryconfu

Thanks Again Jaime

Pepe Ray
12-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Babbit is wonderful stuff. yes, you can cast and shoot it but to get optimum performance you must know more -period.!!!!
It's most common benefit is that it is always heavily loaded with TIN. High speed type has the highest % and low speed the lowest % but a tremendous resource IAC. You can google babbit Mfgtrs to see the various alloys. It would be very beneficial to you to know that. Where did it come from? . What was it used for?
Don't waste it. Use it to enrich the inferior stuff when you need a hardener or tin.
I can not give you specific direction, only an admonition to ration it as you would your last 5 lbs of sugar.
Pepe Ray

Jon K
12-15-2008, 03:40 AM
You need to know more about this stuff. Mainly the chemical analysis. Babbit material is poured to the customers request, which in most part varies in mainly copper content according to the appplication and need of weight and thrust load properties.

I don't know what effects it may have, or if it would have any negative results, long or short term. Wear factors between your barrel and the babbit largely a unknown, unless you can determine the chemical composure of each.

This is just my opinion, but without knowing just what you're dealing with, it's a gamble you must be willing to take.

Jon

Tom W.
12-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Pour it and shoot it if you want, it will only produce hard, light bullets. You would be better served using it to mix with lead or w/w as a source of tin. I've used the stuff straight for years, until my supply ran out.....now I use it sparingly.

docone31
12-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I have some mystery metal. The person thought it was lead, I melted it, and it is a little different.
I crank up my pot, mix a little of the stuff in the wheel weights, and I get absolutely great castings! A touch light, but they shoot great.
Interesting note, on doing some berm investigation, they fragment rather sharply rather than expand.
They paper patch extremely well though.
I use them to make an easier pour. I have some zinc mixed in the melt also. This stuff took the hard pouring out of the melt.

Superfly
12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Well as for the chemical makeup that will be a guess only the old man could answer but he is long past so no asking him.

I will get it all and probably ust to a BHN test on a few Ignots and see what is says that way, Now to start digging through the snow Argghh.

Jaime