PDA

View Full Version : Bullet tips?

Joe504
12-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Have any if yall heard of projos referred to as tips?

Is this a regional thing?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201210/e15728179babb0fc203ae98855bcfe09.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
12-10-2020, 05:45 PM
Sounds like English is a second language for whoever owns the site.

MUSTANG
12-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Destruction of the English Language. I get the feeling that for 50 years our youth have not been required to learn how to use a dictionary.

Only "Tips" I am aware of are: ULD Bullet Tips such as: http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CBST&Category_Code=Tips or the plastic versions;

or perhaps - Lead Tip Forming die http://www.corbins.com/lt.htm

RU shooter
12-10-2020, 07:54 PM
Tips ,heads, pills heard bullets being called all these improper terms over the years by the unknowing

Finster101
12-10-2020, 08:00 PM
That place is not that far from me and I can tell you it is not regional.

trails4u
12-10-2020, 08:06 PM
I've heard it quite a bit from the younger black rifle 'tacticool' crowd...….

NoZombies
12-10-2020, 08:08 PM
To a crowd that calls ammo "bullets" calling bullets "bullet tips" makes sense... to the rest of us, not so much...

lightman
12-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Its just another slang term like projos.

Texas by God
12-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Its just another slang term like projos.I see what you did there, and like it.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

starreloader
12-10-2020, 10:31 PM
"TIPS" is a very well used term for BULLETS, especially around the area of southeastern PA..

cwtebay
12-11-2020, 12:45 AM
"I just need a couple boxes of bullets"
Presumably means cartridges. Slang is slang!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hamish
12-11-2020, 12:51 AM
“Tips”=puketastic.

David2011
12-11-2020, 03:27 AM
Yes, I’ve heard of bullets being called bullet tips and projos. Learned that wasting time on the AR-15 site.

richhodg66
12-11-2020, 07:47 AM
I was in cannon artillery units my whole time in the Army and that's the only context I ever heard "projo" used, only for 155mm rounds, no one ever used it for small arms.

"Tips" and "heads" drive me crazy. It really is amazing how ignorant some supposed "experts" are when you get away from forums like this one where generally people are pretty knowlegeable.

Blanket
12-11-2020, 11:05 AM
terms only used by dumbazzes

NoZombies
12-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Some people call them boolits

AndyC
12-11-2020, 12:06 PM
To a crowd that calls ammo "bullets" calling bullets "bullet tips" makes sense... to the rest of us, not so much...
^^ Winner.

gwpercle
12-11-2020, 12:12 PM
Tips , Heads , Projos ... all this sweet terminology is getting so snowflakey cutesy pie ... that I can hardly stand it ... I might have to take up something manly ...like knitting ! :holysheep
Gary

historicfirearms
12-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Maybe they mean the plastic tips on a bullet like a Nosler Ballistic tip? I hear them called heads occasionally in Michigan but I also hear words like "chimley", door wall, and "thish year" occasionally too.

dale2242
12-12-2020, 06:32 AM
What Gary said. ^^^^^^^

fatnhappy
12-13-2020, 12:18 AM
When I took my hunter safety class a few eons ago, one instructor kept saying “projector” instead of projectile.

Clearly he was tacticool before it was cool.

Geezer in NH
12-21-2020, 04:51 PM
When they use it and are selling them I do NOT buy from that company. Simple they may be a fraud as they have no knowledge of what they are selling.

Buzz Krumhunger
12-21-2020, 04:55 PM
I’m still trying to cope with people calling cartridge cases “casings”, which to me is what you make link sausage with.

vagrantviking
12-21-2020, 05:08 PM
When they use it and are selling them I do NOT buy from that company. Simple they may be a fraud as they have no knowledge of what they are selling.

I'm certain they know what they are selling. They are going out of their way to make it clear to idiots who don't know the terminology what they are buying. Pointedly and condescending to an extreme is probably still not enough to get through to some people.
I saw an email exchange posted by a dealer a year or so ago trying to deal with an irate twit who thought he'd found a killer deal on "bullets" and wouldn't admit that he didn't know the difference between ammunition and components. He cried about being ripped off.

Give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. Dealing with the public is a special skill that sometimes requires dumbing things down to a ridiculous level.

marek313
12-21-2020, 06:15 PM
I just read that hand loading / reloading ammo was one of the most searched terms on Google lately. I think besides a whole new large group of brand new gun owners we have a new group of reloaders as well. These are not the usual conservative they are the new cool liberal shooters that have to be super woke with their own vocabulary and all. Maybe we are too old school to understand.

Maybe not all projectiles identify as bullets ??? Some identify as tips and they prefer to be call that :violin:

John 242
12-21-2020, 06:16 PM
They are going out of their way to make it clear to idiots who don't know the terminology what they are buying. Pointedly and condescending to an extreme is probably still not enough to get through to some people.

I think you're right about dumbing things down.

I know a couple of the guys working at the local Academy's gun department. Since March they've had plenty of customers return to the store with boxes of Hornady bullets (projectiles), pissed off because they meant to buy loaded cartridges. They would get even more upset when they're told there are no returns on ammo or reloading components.

Something to bear in mind, although "we" know the proper terms for bullets, cartridges, ammo, etc., the 70 million new gun owners may not.

It seems that millions of people are looking for ammo. This guy may be trying to make sure that everyone knows he's not selling ammo. A lot of people don't know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge, and given the huge amount of new gun buyers, it would be wise to spell it out.

blackthorn
12-21-2020, 08:07 PM
Bullet "Tips"-----Slang term for keyholing!

dtknowles
12-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Imagine that and some people call detachable box magazines, clips ;-)

Tim

Texas by God
12-21-2020, 09:17 PM
If we call the bullets heads - do we now call the case head the butt or the foot? Us country folk call empty brass hulls just like shotgun hulls. And loaded ammo "bullets" or " cahtiges" or rounds.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

cwtebay
12-22-2020, 02:43 AM
We call them "shells", maybe some call them "bullets" here. As in "box of shells" or "empty shells". Bet you could sell whatever cartridges you want whether you term them ammunition or candy corn at this point.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Blanket
12-22-2020, 07:24 PM
how many cents per round annoys me. 22 shells a brick is 500, a box 50 or 100, shot shells 25 a box, 250 a flat 500 a case. Pistol 50 rounds per box, rifle 20 per box.

loaded303
12-23-2020, 12:49 AM
how many cents per round annoys me. 22 shells a brick is 500, a box 50 or 100, shot shells 25 a box, 250 a flat 500 a case. Pistol 50 rounds per box, rifle 20 per box.
I’m always figuring up to 100 then going to 1000 then dividing down to the cent per primer, case, powder, projectile, or round in my head for years. 😂
Second nature to me🤔
Merry Christmas 🎄

Blanket
12-23-2020, 12:58 AM
not so with us oldsters, we cast bullets, knew primer costs and powder by the lb

loaded303
01-04-2021, 12:06 AM
not so with us oldsters, we cast bullets, knew primer costs and powder by the lb

Don’t know what’s old to you. That’s relative[emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
01-04-2021, 03:23 AM
Almost everyone here calls them "Heads", "Shells", "Ammo"
Never heard "tips" before.
Different places call the same thing by different names.
Here we call them "slippers", most places call them "flip flops"
"Soda" is "Pop" in most places.
There are many others that I can't think of.
It's not really wrong to not use the same name for things.
That, used to be, what made this country so great.
We could choose, without being ridicule.
Whatever different names we call them, it's best not to criticize.
We all share a common love of firearms.
By ridiculing one of us, it may turn them against us.

10x
01-04-2021, 06:24 PM
in reality they are non tethered disposable pistons propelled by hot expanding gasses from a heat engine

Joe504
01-04-2021, 07:01 PM
Almost everyone here calls them "Heads", "Shells", "Ammo"
Never heard "tips" before.
Different places call the same thing by different names.
Here we call them "slippers", most places call them "flip flops"
"Soda" is "Pop" in most places.
There are many others that I can't think of.
It's not really wrong to not use the same name for things.
That, used to be, what made this country so great.
We could choose, without being ridicule.
Whatever different names we call them, it's best not to criticize.
We all share a common love of firearms.
By ridiculing one of us, it may turn them against us.I brought this up because the person using this term was asking for them in relation to reloading, and I was concerned about his knowledge if reloading.

His replays to my questions, and offers to help him understand the basics, did not give me any reassurance that he knows what he is doing.

I dont want any accidents to gain national attention and be an excuse to further regulate our hobby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AndyC
01-07-2021, 02:42 PM
In Africa, working in a gun-store I became rather used to the local population coming in and asking for an "empty cassette" for their pistol - a spare mag, in other words. Any revolver was a "spin-barrel" and any silver handgun was automatically a "45 Mag-a-num".

With this lot one had to be quite diplomatic that the box of projectiles they wanted to buy was only "bullet-tips", not "bullets" ;)

SeabeeMan
01-07-2021, 04:24 PM
Tips, freedom seeds, pills, j-words, boolits, slugs, etc...all the same, just another word for the same thing. I tend to use freedom seed when trying to avoid Facebook censors.

gwpercle
01-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Tips, freedom seeds, pills, j-words, boolits, slugs, etc...all the same, just another word for the same thing. I tend to use freedom seed when trying to avoid Facebook censors.

Don't forget " projo's " ...that's my favorite ...rhymes with Mojo !
Still working on knitting that sweater... harder than it looks :holysheep
Gary

reloader28
01-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Never even heard them called projos