PDA

View Full Version : Antique military rifles

Frank46
12-29-2005, 04:07 AM
I have a chance to buy a 1891 argentine mauser made by lowe. The dealer says its an antique and no ffl is required for the transfer. It has been altered from its origional military issue condition. I was under the impression that if it was not altered then it would be an antique. But once it was altered it was no longer considered antique. I see ther C&R rifles must be in basically "as issued condition" and if not then they are not C&R eligible. I can get a ffl to do the transfer if required. Just wanted to stay safe. Frank

bruce drake
12-29-2005, 09:54 AM
It's an antique receiver, period. FFL Laws state at any receiver made prior to 1898 is considered an antique. ACcording to the BATF&E, the reciever is the firearm. Barrels and stocks are replaceable items. No paperwork required as BATF&E considers these rifles to be wall-hangers and anachronisms like muzzle-loaders. THe 1891, 1893, and 1895 Mausers are fine rifles to consider purchasing. If this rifle has been sporterized, just replace the old barrel if its shot-out with a new Small-Ring and keep the cartridge selection to one under 40K PSI max for jacketed bullets and you'll be fine.

Oh, the rifle was made by the firm of Ludwig & Loewe in Berlin. They bought controlling interest of Mauser in 1890's and was the parent corporation for Mauser for many years.

Bruce

Frank46
12-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Bruce Drake, many thanks, I had considered that but was a little hazy. The money order will go out soon and hopefully soon I'll be the owner of a 1891 argie. Good thing I didn't sell
the dies and brass that has been sleeping peacefully in my cabinet. Frank