PDA

View Full Version : making and selling boolits

lunicy
12-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you need an FFL to make and sell boolits. (not loaded ammo, just the boolit component) I know you don't need any to make for my own use, but if I sell to others (as a business venture) is it needed? Thanks

BulletGeek
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
No, not at all. If you're only selling component bullets, no license is required. It's a business you can run out of your garage. I did it for a while, when I was out of work.

Local regulations may make it hard to go beyond the cottage-industry level where casting lead is concerned, however.

lunicy
12-13-2008, 12:58 PM
thank you

lar45
12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
You should check the regs on that before you start.
I sell lube to several cast bullet companies and they tell me that you do need a FFL to manufacture bullets, even if it is not loaded ammo.

SwedeNelson
12-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Look a little harder.
Its a Type 6 FFL.
Been down that road.

Swede Nelson

Glen
12-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes, a Type 6 FFL is required to manufacture and sell any reloading components.

deltaenterprizes
12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Yup,type 6 FFL,I had one for one for 12 years. Under "ammunition" covers completed cartridges and components.

BulletGeek
12-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Wow, would you look at that!

Apparently I was operating without a license. Had no idea... wow.

kir_kenix
12-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought about going down this road as a garage business...but when i looked at the prices that some of the places charge, I wasn't sure I could really be successful doing it. I figured at the pace I work, I could only make between $3-4 an hour (assuming I sold everything I made). There are alot of places out there that market cast bullets, and I just figured I couldnt compete. I don't have the molds, time, liscence, or marketing skills to do it.

Not trying to discourage you by anymeans, if thats what you want to do by all means try and make it work. You probably should look into that FFL liscence and look at the city ordinances to see if something is keeping you from doing this commercially. Hope it works out and your able to make some money! Good luck man.

BulletGeek
12-13-2008, 04:00 PM
When I was doing it a few years ago, and getting my wheel weights for free from a local tire shop, and not counting the time I spent making ingots, and not counting my investment in pot, molds, and accessories, I figured at my fastest I could make $12 per hour.

That's not bad for hobby money, but not real good for a business venture.

runfiverun
12-13-2008, 04:04 PM
you also need to meet local zoning and licensing codes, expect a visit from the fire marshall also.

cajun shooter
12-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Money made for all the labor and time is why you see so many come and go in the bullet business. You will not have to worry about what to do with all the cash you have. Did it in the 70's until my head cleared up and I saw a different way to make the green stuff.