PDA

View Full Version : Bob Krack's Balls

woody1
12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm sure someone here can tell me how far one of Bob's balls will fly if launched at around 1100 fps at whatever the optimum launch angle is. That would be one of the WW .311's he was selling for site benefit. What were you thinkin'? I'm launching them barely subsonic to shoot starlings and such out of trees and just wondering how far they'll fly. Oh, they weigh around 44 grains. Thanks for any help. Regards, Woody

Bob Krack
12-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm sure someone here can tell me how far one of Bob's balls will fly if launched at around 1100 fps at whatever the optimum launch angle is. That would be one of the WW .311's he was selling for site benefit. What were you thinkin'? I'm launching them barely subsonic to shoot starlings and such out of trees and just wondering how far they'll fly. Oh, they weigh around 44 grains. Thanks for any help. Regards, Woody
Hi Woody,

I am not certain but I would guess that they would travel around 50% to 75% the distance of a standard .22 rimfire.

In my opinion, 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Not accurately, but still some danger to bystanders - which seems to be the intent of your question.

How's the accuracy and power at short range for you?

I'm still donating them as site benefit, but on a little sabbatical til maybe mid-January.

Bob

94Doug
12-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Well there you have it. Who would know more about Bob's balls then Bob himself.

twotrees
12-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I think if you go wacking Bob's Balls at 1100 fps, he will then travel at 3500fps straight up !!!

I read the title and this image just will not let me stop laughing.:mrgreen:

I would bet that at a High trajectory that that they would travel about 1/2 mile
a 22 LR with a better coefficient will go a mile at that Vel.

Bob on the other hand would travel to the end of the earth to get even with you, After he applied ice for a few days.[smilie=1:

:holysheep

runfiverun
12-12-2008, 08:03 PM
i so was going to reply, but how do you top the last two posts?.

Phil
12-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Who was that masked man?

(:>)

Phil

12-12-2008, 09:34 PM
on hands!!
Won't go anywhere near the above posts :mrgreen::mrgreen:

As far as max distance. I ran the numbers thru a calculator, with a few assumptions of course.

.310 Roundball wgt approx.= 45 gr.
BC= .043
MV= 1100 fps

Max range at optimum launch angle (30-35'?)= 800 yards+/-
Terminal vel.= 160 fps
Terminal energy= 2.5 ft lb

woody1
12-12-2008, 09:53 PM
This WAS a serious question albeit with a little tongue in cheek title. I seem to recall from somewhere that 00 buck would go about 900 or so yards when launched at shotgun velocity. And yes that's about a half mile. Was just wondering if someone had some hard data from anywhere.

Bob, I'm launching them from a 30-30 with 3.1 grains of B'eye and a magnum primer. Using a receiver sight with a really too big front bead I can mostly hit everything I shoot at to 25 or 30 yards. We're talking starlings and sparrows here. Regards, Woody

12-12-2008, 11:04 PM
This WAS a serious question albeit with a little tongue in cheek title. I seem to recall from somewhere that 00 buck would go about 900 or so yards when launched at shotgun velocity. And yes that's about a half mile. Was just wondering if someone had some hard data from anywhere.

Bob, I'm launching them from a 30-30 with 3.1 grains of B'eye and a magnum primer. Using a receiver sight with a really too big front bead I can mostly hit everything I shoot at to 25 or 30 yards. We're talking starlings and sparrows here. Regards, Woody

The above post #7 is as good as any since it was based on a ballistics calculator. Most so called "Hard Data" is simply published data that is likewise based on a ballistics calculator or formula.

US Ordnance Technical Manual # 9-1990 gives the following: 00 Buck (.340) maximum range as fired from full choke shotgun= 600yds.

Additionally, the same manual lists/describes Journees Formula for calculating apporximate maximum range for shotgun pellets as: the maximum range in yards is approximately 2200 times the shot diameter in inches.
So 2200 X .311 = 684 yds.

So there is some "Hard Published Data". Now finding "Hard Data" for shooting a lead round ball of .311 dia out of a rifle with a certain twist rate and rifling configuration and certain velocity??? other than the 800 yd. maximum as listed in the above post.... good luck

Tom Myers
12-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Some years ago I made up a DOS program using numerical integration to calculate high angle trajectories. The program calculated the retardation relative to the density of the air at the altitude of the projectile with each 0.001 second iteration. Plugging in the numbers of 1100 f.p.s. MV and BC of 0.43. The maximum range of 739 yards was reached with a launch angle of 33.5 degrees.

The maximum trajectory ordinate is 757 ft high at approx 500 yards downrange. The velocity at the maximum ordinate is 121 fps and continues to slow down to 121 f.p.s. at 600 yards downrange where gravity overcomes air resistance and begins to accelerate the ball back up to 160.7 fps at the impact point which is 739 yards downrange. The impact angle is 74 degrees.

P.S. The time to the point of impact was 13.255 seconds. The computer calculated the projectile position at 0.001 second intervals. That comes out to 13, 255 postions that were calculated to compute the trajectory values.

Ain't this stuff fun?

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.tmtpages.com)

madcaster
12-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I was scared to read this,now i am bewildered!:confused:

12-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Tom,
That came out pretty darn close to the JBM calculator. I just arbitrarily used 1000 ft above sea level and 59' temp. But are they "hard data"? :mrgreen:
Might have to con Yuma or White Sands into some range time and put all that high end govt. technology to work. After all, Yuma did the Billy Dixon ballistics :)

Tom Myers
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Please forgive me. I made a typo error on the impact angle of 47 degrees instead of 74 degrees.

I fixed it but I can see where it would sure be confusing.

Tom Myers

woody1
12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. 405, you evidently posted your calculations while I was making my "hard data" post or at least I didn't see it until after my post. You provided what I was looking for. Not just a seat of the pants estimate but some calculations and/or some published data. Tom Myers, yours was also what I was looking for. Again, thanks and regards, Woody

1Shirt
12-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Well now, after lurking at this thread, wonder if anybody has played with or computed RB loads for heavier stuff like 44 or 45 in say 44Mag, 444, 45-70 etc. in single and multi loads? Know Beagle has some load data that I have tried and found very sucessfull within limitations, but don't know about distance/angle etc.
Gotta love the title of the thread regardless!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Three44s
12-13-2008, 10:54 AM
So let me get this straight ......

This thread ..... about Bob Krack's Balls ....... was started by a member ....... woody1 ......

...... who says you can't have fun while you learn?

And Mr. Meyers has quite the system for archiving his gun info as well.

Regards

Three 44s

DLCTEX
12-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I frequently see the claim that a 22lr will reach 1 mile. As a kid I tested Federal, Remington, and Winchester, 22 ammo numerous times by shooting across a plowed field that was very dusty. Conditions were 2000 ft. elevation,Temps at 90-100 degrees F. ,wind dead calm, rifles -Mossberg with 26 in. barrel and Win. single shot with 18 in. barrel. I was never able to reach the fence at the half-mile point. Sometimes came as close as within 100 yds (estimated) . I also tried to shoot a bullet straight up and have it come back down close by. I used a level and stepped under the shed roof after firing. This was done under dead calm conditions also and I never had a round come down closer than 50 yds.(estimated).

Schreck5
02-24-2019, 05:31 PM
I think if you go wacking Bob's Balls at 1100 fps, he will then travel at 3500fps straight up !!!

I read the title and this image just will not let me stop laughing.:mrgreen:

I would bet that at a High trajectory that that they would travel about 1/2 mile
a 22 LR with a better coefficient will go a mile at that Vel.

Bob on the other hand would travel to the end of the earth to get even with you, After he applied ice for a few days.[smilie=1:

:holysheep

😫😫😫😂😂😂