PDA

View Full Version : Peiper rolling block 22 info needed

Hackleback
12-28-2005, 10:45 AM
This may be a bit off subject but I will give it a shot (pun intended). Does anyone know anything about the peiper RB 22. I have been offered one for $100. The stock is broken at the wrist and the bore is said to be "sort of rough" what evere that means. I would like to know if it is worth the time and $ to repair to make into a shooter. Are these decent actions? The description sent to me is below. I do have a couple of pix if you want to see then. Thanks for your help

H Peiper Patent rolling block .22L – This is a very old .22 rolling block rifle from Belgium. I am not entirely sure of the history of the gun, but I did read somewhere (may not be true) that this company was a major stakeholder when Fabrique Nationale (FN) (as in Belgian Brownings) was formed in Belgium. It has a cracked stock and sort of a rough bore, but I think it is in working order. I did see another with the same characteristics for $125 online. This is more of a collector’s piece than a plinking gun. $100

Buckshot
12-29-2005, 03:19 AM
.............Before I bought it, I would make sure it was complete and that it worked. It's probably what was considered a "Boys Rifle" in it's day. Remington even made some back in the day. I saw a really very fine specimen a couple years ago at a swap meet in Sierra Vista, AZ. I think it was a #4 and a takedown model. The guy was wanting $400 for it. As it was chambered for some 32 caliber rimfire that kind of soured the deal for me, but it sure was cute.

..............Buckshot

Blackwater
12-29-2005, 06:36 AM
I think Buckshot has it pegged pretty well. Only thing I can add is that it'd cost you to get it relined, so it'd shoot well, since you're wanting a shooter. The stock would likely have to be scratch made if the present one is too badly damaged to be repaired.

I also seem to remember someone posting somewhere not long ago on another forum about a Peiper .22, so if you google it, you may find some info that would be helpful.

IMO, and that's all it is, if you don't do this kind of work yourself, and know how to do it well, as in a true "restoration" rather than just 'smithing it to be shootable, it'll wind up being a frustration instead of intriguing. Have known many others who've found this to be the way of it, and have done so myself a time or three.

Of course it COULD be a "learning experience" for you too. You didn't say anything about how qualified you feel you are to do any of this work yourself, so thought I'd touch all the bases I could. Good luck, and old guns often ARE really neat to play with and shoot, as well as work on.

KCSO
12-29-2005, 09:38 PM
I have relined a couple of these. Thery make a good little 22, but a re-line job will run from $75.00 to $125.00 depending on the gunsmith and the liner used. Add some time or money fro stock repair and you are getting close to what a good 22 will cost.
I like the old ones so I would rather have a rolling block, Warnant ot a Piper than a new plastic stocked 22. If you want to see what they were like new find a copy of ARMS of The World 1911. This is a copy of the old ALPHA catalog. There are some in there with the original cost in German marks circa 1911.
I'm a little crazy so the last 22 I made was a 1873 trapdoor carbine converted to 22 lr. This was a junker that I got on trade for $50.00 and I spent about 20 hours tinkering to get an ejector made that would kick out a 22 shell.