PDA

View Full Version : Odd weight

acemedic13
12-12-2008, 05:36 AM
I have been casting . 230 gr. .45's and coming up with consistent but odd weight. I know they will never be exact everytime but,
I would like them to be close to 230. I keep getting them in the 237 gr. range. That being said.........I still use the load data for 230 grain boolits for testing these rounds, with no negative results. I have had some odd things occur once or twice, but nothing dangerous. Just cycling issues and such. I was just wanting to know if anyone has dealt with this same issue and what was the fix. I am working my alloy down in weight with tin. I was just curious to see if you can keep the same load data for a round that is off by several grains, or just work up or down with it by charge weight (like I am doing). Thanks again for helping me get started and dealing with my seemingly dumb questions.....Joel

cabezaverde
12-12-2008, 07:45 AM
7 grains won't hurt you - just mold alloy variation.

Tin is too expensive to use for adjusting weight if your bullets are casting well. Simply use 230 grain data and watch the high end and you will be fine.

Bret4207
12-12-2008, 08:06 AM
7 gr is nothing in a mould design over 150 gr or so. It's your alloy or individual mould. You should be starting off a bit below max when working a load up anyway. Watch your pressure signs and OAL on feeding an auto.

44man
12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
7 grains is nothing at all and like has been said, within mold variations.
My Lyman 325 gr drops at 347 gr with a hard alloy that is harder then no. 2 alloy. It would be heavier if I softened the alloy. It shoots so good, I have no complaints.
The only thing I would complain about is if the boolit is under size.

bcarver
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Sounds like you got a 237 grain mould. If you are still worrying find some 240 gr data or 245 gr and split the difference. You will find that there is very little to begin with and dividing it will be even less. The differnce in data will be as much as from one book to another. Some older books by the same bullet or powder company have changed for certain loads. To begin with 7 grains is only a 3 percent weight change. I would mix my alloy to the hardness I desire and use 230 data if I can't find 240 data.

acemedic13
12-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks. Makes me feel better knowing this is just part of the game. Being new to the whole scene, I dont know what are mistakes or "just how it is" type of things. I will keep playing with it and adjusting my loads. Whats the danger of pure lead with smokeless powders? I am not planning on making that combo, just curious as to the result. Thanks.

runfiverun
12-12-2008, 08:34 PM
you can run pure lead with no problem, your velocities will be lower[generally] but pure has it's uses.
get used to overweight boolits with ww's as mold makers use 2/6 , 5/5 or 10/90 for their mold weights.
don't sweat the heavier boolits,they are softer and i bet work better then the harder alloys.
like said before undersized molds is when i use the harder alloys ,if i can make use of the harder alloy, if not there are other ways to deal with this issue.

HeavyMetal
12-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I guess the best question is: are you happy with what your getting out of the mold right now?

If the accuracy is good and your not having a leading problem..well if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Now if your trying for a specific velocity or power factor then yep we can change the alloy to give you what you want.

Adding just tin is not how you want to do this! Tin has it's uses in casting but mostly to help get good fill out. Adding a lot of tin can actually contibute to leading so be careful!

Tell us what alloy your casting from and if you want a change and I'm sure a suggestion on an alloy change will be given in short order!