PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating

GOPHER SLAYER
11-17-2020, 02:30 PM
I have been blocked from logging in by another site. The first one was the Ruger site. I gave up trying to get back on that one. The next was the Luger site and now it is the ASSRA. When I click on that one it shows my user name and password. I click login and it says I have entered the wrong name or password. If you click on HELP you are sent on a chase your tail merry-go -round. I thought, well I will just register as a new member. No go. It informed me that I was already a member. Anyone else have this problem?

Winger Ed.
11-17-2020, 02:51 PM
It happened to me on Graybeards.

Since they changed the format and its hard to see & read I wasn't real enthused to go back there anyway.
I think at the time it was dark yellow print on a light yellow background.

I messed around with it for a little while, and moved on.
It's no big deal, but I might go back and play around with it again in a year or so.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-17-2020, 03:04 PM
Winger, you would think sites like ASSRA would wan to help members since they have so few anyway. The same thing has happened on castboolits but it was simple to resolve. ASSRA only has a few thousand members.

farmbif
11-17-2020, 03:19 PM
happened to me on another site I will not name, good riddance, if they don't care enough to take care of their web site that's on them.

Land Owner
11-17-2020, 03:36 PM
If you have issues, such as login, at Graybeard Outdoors or Graybeard Reloaded - PM me here. I'll PM Bill (The Graybeard) and his SIL Matt. It will be taken care of pronto. I Moderate at GBO and have done so for many years. It is true that their platform has "recently" changed and the GBO site is no longer owned by Bill. Still, he (and I) have an interest there (and at Reloaded) and seek to keep the peace as well as grease the skids if things go sideways. All it takes is a couple of minutes. Just breath. Breath again.

bedbugbilly
11-17-2020, 03:44 PM
I am by no means a computer whiz - I have had this happen several times on sites I haven[t been on for a while. I figured it was due to them upgrading or using a new software??

I had it happen on the NOE site a few weeks ago. I have purchased from them a number of times but it was their "old site". I went on to their "new" site - tried to log in with my ID and password that I have always used and had absolutely no luck. I ended up having to register again on their "new" site using a new ID and password. Not the end of the world but certainly not convenient either. Is there not a way that if they change something that they can't transfer these things from the old to the new?

MrWolf
11-17-2020, 10:11 PM
Try rebooting your system. Sometimes it is that easy.

MUSTANG
11-17-2020, 10:44 PM
Try rebooting your system. Sometimes it is that easy.

Even after 20 years of seeing this as the "Technical Solution" provided - even by mega Tech Companies; as an old technician (very old?) that could repair telephone switching equipment (all the way down to rewinding electromagnetic relays of all types) it makes me CRINGE. Seems like we no longer have anyone on the world that can truly repair items.

Yes - "Rebooting often makes the problem disappear for a while - but the problem is lurking in the Tech Swamp Code somewhere still.

contender1
11-18-2020, 12:26 AM
I'm one of these old codgers who is technology challenged. And I have seen many folks have the same issues you have had. I have tried to help the folks I know get back on the Ruger Forum,, (by trying to offer suggestions & contacting the admins,) but the website system is "old" and needs some serious work. The current owner has posted that they are working on it,, but it has been well over 2 years now that nobody can join as a new member,, or when older members change internet providers etc,, they get blocked.

I know it takes money to pay a computer geek to fix things,, as well as pay for the service provider. But it may also be a lot more detailed than this old codger can comprehend.

As such,, some forums will die,, and new ones will take their place.

dtknowles
11-18-2020, 01:20 AM
I say hat off the this site. I works as well as any, better than most. They do piss me off here but at least the tech works.

Tim

GOPHER SLAYER
11-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Even after 20 years of seeing this as the "Technical Solution" provided - even by mega Tech Companies; as an old technician (very old?) that could repair telephone switching equipment (all the way down to rewinding electromagnetic relays of all types) it makes me CRINGE. Seems like we no longer have anyone on the world that can truly repair items.

Yes - "Rebooting often makes the problem disappear for a while - but the problem is lurking in the Tech Swamp Code somewhere still.

MUSTANG, I also worked for a phone company, GTE. When I went to work for them the equipment was all relay operated. By the time I retired all of the relay operated equipment was scrapped. Computers had taken over.